1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unfortunate experience with Vertx

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tromba, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying an edc gamut for only about 2 months now. I have grown to love the bag and I really wanted it to be my forever pack.

I was quite surprised and very disappointed to look inside recently and see that the interior fabric has holes wearing in it where it over laps seams. I was shocked. Especially since everything I have read or heard about Vertx is that they use top of the line materials and construction. It has only been for daily use. It has not seen any hard or abusive use whatsoever. As I have not seen anyone else who has used their products have a similar issue I am fairly certain that mine is defective.

I saw no information about a warranty on their website so I emailed their customer service. (Their CS only answers email at about 11 am but thats another story). I inquired about a warranty and they said that they do offer a 1 year warranty on their products. However this warranty only applies if you purchased directly from them off their website. I bought my bag off of a vendor on ebay so they will not honor the warranty. This is incredibly disappointing. They will not stand behind their product. Even though I did not buy it directly from them, it is still their product out there representing their brand. They still made money on the bag that I bought. Some may disagree but I don't see why they would not honor the warranty. If you were to buy something in a B and M store they also would not cover the warranty.

So moral of the story I guess is think carefully if you are considering a Vertx purchase, it may fail. If you still want to buy something, pay the inflated price off of their website if you want to make sure it is covered under warranty.

Last edited by Tromba, Mar 1, 2018
    #1 Tromba, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    chaosmagnet, popedandy and kye4some like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am glad I don't even like mine this sounds like a load of crap to me.

3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Did you talk to guy from eBay? He sold you something rubbish, he should refund you!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have always thought the brand was overrated. I purchased the EDC ready pack to check out and found it to be a vexing bag incapable of any meaningful use. It was returned the very next day.

5. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear this Tromba. Are the "holes" you're speaking of in the beige colored "Tricot" lining? Or is it the "binding tape" that is sown over the seams which the zippers contacts and gets hung up in... especially on some of those tight corners in the zipper coil.

I've noticed sometimes the zipper on the edc ready pack gets caught on the binding tape on the top of the main compartment. Could you possibly post some pics of the issue?

I've heard other gear companies taking a similar approach with warranty issues on products purchased from supposed "non-authorized" dealers. It is something to consider when buying for sure.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Mar 2, 2018
    #5 RED-FIVE, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Yes, that was my next thought that possibly you may have some options through ebay/paypal terms that could provide you with a solution for replacement or return refund. I would look in to the specifics for that as well.

7. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Update.

I informed the customer service person that I was in contact with (they did not affix their name to any of the communications) that I would be posting on this forum as I believe I posted a fair account of the interaction and someone higher up in the company may be interested in reading it. Their response was “Awesome thanks!”

Maybe I am reading too far into it but that response strikes me as rude and really rubs me the wrong way.

chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  8. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Here are pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  9. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I guess that will be my next step as the customer service at Vertx was less than helpful.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never over estimate the intelligence of the C.S. rep that you do not know.
    Maybe they are just too stupid to actually understand,it would not be the first time!

You said this was through email didn't you?
    Try using "Mouth Words" and see if it gets any better?

Yes I am old.

Myrddraal likes this.
  11. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics. Looks like something is going on with the PU coating in those spots.

12. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I don't see an actual defect per say. From the first pic, it looks like the PU coating in being rubbed by the mesh pouch zipper and edging tape as the wear seems to align. As it appears to be the coating and not the fabric material itself, it probably would not be covered under warranty.

sent from your mamma's house

mash4077 and RED-FIVE like this.
  13. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Just a theory....
    Looking at the gamut's external pockets, the internal seams of the pocket zipper coil terminates at the top. I believe this causes the bulky seam to protrude into the main compartment nylon side walls right behind where those abrasions are located.

It's the same in both sides due to the design of the external pockets and shape of the zippers that curves in toward the top the pocket when closed. It doesn't help that inward pressure is always applied when fastening the snaps which are also located near this area that also pushes the zipper internal seam with its thick, bulky binding into the thin nylon side wall of the main compartment.

I can see how this is going to happen over time if the thin nylon side walls comes into contact with gear or laptop corners, wearing aways the poly urethane coating, and possibly the nylon itself.

Since modding some packs, Many times needing to the turn the pack inside out to perform the mod like velcro panels ect, I've observed the seams can have many layers brought together and stichted with the nylon binding tape. Sometimes the seams are extremely thick. This is especially true when webbing is involved. The seam can have mutiple layers, like four or five layers. The seams at that point are very stiff. Sorry for the long post.

#13 RED-FIVE, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Myrddraal likes this.
  14. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

The wear is right over top of seams. That doesn’t necessarily translate in the pictures. It is discolored but the fabric is also wearing very thin. That can easily be felt. At this rate it is only a matter of time until it rips through.

15. 01bugtruck

01bugtruck Loaded Pockets

i had to return my Gamut because the top carry handle pulled out...i purchased it on amazon..vertx covered the replacement no problem, actually had a very good experience with their customer service. I was out of warranty by a few months but they didnt even question it...."send it in, we'll take care of it" was the response i got...and they did...sent me a brand new bag with the upgraded grab handle stitching.

Sorry you are having problems with them, maybe its a particular employee thats the issue?

Strange how they take great care of one customer and treat another so poorly..

best of luck!

glockguy110 likes this.
  16. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Slight fade on a bag you didn't buy from them it seems a fair response to me

mash4077 likes this.
  17. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

What are you showing in the pictures here? I don't see the reason for: "the interior fabric has holes wearing in it where it over laps seams. I was shocked."

I have a number of vertx products (see other threads). In the interests of balance: although I'm not totally aligned to their philosophy I'll pitch in that have had no problems with their quality whatsoever.

tbzbbt

18. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I guess some of you do not agree, or fully read my earlier posts. Sorry if we don’t see eye to eye.

It is more than discoloration. The fabric is wearing thin and almost ripped through. I have no doubt that soon it will rip through. Being it is a top dollar bag and that I have only had it two months I personally don’t think it should be doing that.

Different strokes for different folks.

God bless.

I excitedly await your further criticisms.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If yours is actually a Vertx I can not stand behind them not standing behind you?

They either back their own product or they don't.

Have you tried calling them?

20. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I am not a particular Vertx fan, but I understand why a vendor might be be reticent to warranty an EBay purchase. How many unauthorized or outright fakes of any any item are available on EBay.

For the OP- Did Vertx decline to warranty before or after you advised where you purchased it from?

That said, if it was a genuine, new Gamut, the smart move is to cover it. A good email is the ne way, but a call with the right attitude might help. Also, ask the original seller to reach out on your behalf.