1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Understanding Camelbak HAWG Millitary versions

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CrossHairs, Apr 7, 2015.

1. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Empty Pockets

New guy here. So I have been aware for quite some time that the Camelbak HAWG Millitary underwent some changes in 2013, and we are now looking at a change coming this month (April 2015). At this point, I am fine with the 2013 version, and even made a purchase on one Monday (2 days ago). However, after the purchase I looked closer at the picture of the product on the site and it is unlike any version of the HAWG I have seen yet. Most notable is the back Molle pannel along with the buckles being fixed. I didn't even know this version existed. Seems that GALLS and Quartermaster carry this version. Can someone give me a sanity check to see what exactly I purchased?

Version I purchased through Quartermaster:

Version I expected and had seen for months on Amazon and on Camelbak's site:

Last edited by CrossHairs, Apr 7, 2015
  2. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, interesting. Like you mentioned, it sure looks like a pretty big change to the front MOLLE/PALS webbing. Probably a weight savings there, plus far less stitching needed. Thinking maybe this is the 2015 version, and perhaps larger retailers are getting stock ahead of time.

Edit: Looking on YouTube, I see MilSpecMonkey has a couple of Camelbak videos for SHOT Show 2015. I think the new version of the HAWG is hanging in the background, with this newer MOLLE/PALS panel. Wonder if it has the new lumbar hydration bladder, too?

Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

3. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Last I knew, the new version was unveiled at SHOT show like Bigfoot said. At that time it immediately went up on Camelbak's Canadian site as THE hawg, but as far as I know the "old" version (your bottom picture) is still the one displayed on their U.S. site.

4. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I've got what I'll call the original 500 D hawg from when CB rebuilt the pack line with lighter material and some design changes. I also have the 2013 model when CB changed the hawg to the flat front with PALS.

The bags are both the same in size and overall design with the following exceptions.
    The 500 d has 2 front pockets both with PALS, the lower admin pocket has a small zip mesh pocket inside as well, the 2013 does not.
    The 500d has a small section of PALS on the sides, the 2013 does not.
    The 2013 has the antidote bladder, the 500d has the water beast or some name. I like the antidote bladder better. I actually use a Source bladder or bottles though.

More often than not, I run 2 Nalgene canteens. I picked up 2 mil spec monkey bottle corsets and put them on the 500d hawg.
    I'm keeping the 500d hawg as I like the 2 front pocket set up better. That mesh pocket is handy and CB could have put it in all the bags. Same with the side PALS it is small enough not to take up much space and couldn't add much if any to the price.

The first pic looks like the newest model and I agree CB looks to have made changes to lessen production costs. I'll bet they didn't lower the street cost.

5. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Empty Pockets

Thanks all for the responses. What came in is what I was hoping for. Below is EXACTLY what I received. Looks like they sent the 2013 version after all. I am pleased with it though the pics originally were a little confusing.

I'm still not certain where the laser-cut Molle panel version (in original post) plays into the lineup as the pic doesn't quite match the possible 2015 version pictured by MM at ShotShow yet doesn't match 2013 version either...unless I am missing something altogether. Either way, I'm a happy camper and look forward to getting an admin panel for this very well constructed bag.

bigfoot likes this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to admit, I'm still on the fence about the new MOLLE/PALS webbing. But I'm still going to get the new MULE pack just for the redesign pockets.

After that, I'll putz with the new PALS and see if it bugs me or not.

7. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

That's quite a redesign for the Military HAWG, It's smaller at 1,099 cu. in. (18 liters), and kind of reminds me of the old ATS Cobra pack.

8. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

Big fan of the laser cut pals webbing right here. I like the simplicity and lighter weight.

Myrddraal and bigfoot like this.
  9. dms

dms Loaded Pockets

Cross Hairs, if you would post up some pics of the internals, organization. It definitely looks like the previous version. Anyone know how much change to the internals they did with the new version? I'm interested and thanks in advance.

tmedina likes this.
  10. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Empty Pockets

dms, the internals on my pack are exactly the 2013 version. I didn't get the version with laser cut pals webing.

11. Captain Adobo

Captain Adobo Loaded Pockets

dms I recently received a warranty replacement of the HAWG, and I believe that they sent me a 2015 redesign.

[​IMG]

Close up of new velcro field and laser cut webbing. The buckles for compression straps are now permanent. All straps except for the chest have their own velcro keepers.

[​IMG]

Admin section. Without shock cord and velcro to hold radio or similar item in place. Also no key fob.

[​IMG]

Side view. No extra loops to attach stuff on. Previous model had 2 loops on each side to move compression clips to or hang gear from.

[​IMG]

Key fob now in quick access pouch. I believe it was in the admin section in the previous model.

[​IMG]

Another look at the new webbing and velcro field.

Hope this is what you were wanting to see with the new hawg. If you need any other pics I will be happy to post them.

bigfoot, tmedina and chaosmagnet like this.
  12. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

It is smaller? Bummer.

13. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

I think some of the running changes in this pack are due to newly issued NSN numbers and the time it took to get approvals from various military agencies. Camelbak isn't the only one throwing running changes with regards to laser-cut Molle.

If you haven't tried laser-cut, it's worth it. I have a tactical bag prototype that is almost two years old with a lot of heavy abuse and the Molle has worked just fine. It's much lighter, it allows more versatile pack designs, a user can add or delete Molle panels in some cases without all the hassle we used to deal with. As for strength, I've had 30 lb of netting tied onto carabiners stuck into the Molle and nothing has torn, and I've had many things tied into the Molle get snagged badly without even beginning to tear the Molle itself. As for durability, I always end up using a few slots much more than others (we all do -- the top ones, for example, when mounting pouches, and the side ones for water bottles or optics or the like) and the heavily used ones don't look any different from the ones that never got used. This is entirely an improvement. In the same time I've seen more traditional Molle torn out at the stitching or tearing the fabric underneath (which is usually the weak spot). This stuff distributes the stress over the underlying fabric better so you end up with less damage.

14. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

From what is the laser cut molle? Is it cut from the nylon / cordura fabric or from something like hypalon?

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice - I wasn't all that impressed when I examined it the first time, but it's good to hear some positive reviews.

16. Captain Adobo

I am liking the laser cut molle so far.
    [​IMG]

I put an Orca Arms Admin pouch on it at first, because the admin section is not what I need. I also forgot to point out in my previous post that the redesign is missing a pocket when compared to the 2014 model.

[​IMG]

This is a screenshot from an excellent Youtube vid review on the 2013 HAWG. The 2015 redesign is missing the rear most pocket, shock cord with velcro, and fob cord. It also feels like (to me) that the material of the inner admin section is thinner/flimsier when compared it to a buddy's 2013 HAWG.

[​IMG]

Decided to throw admin pouch in admin section and attach this hydration pouch sans bladder and use it as a ghetto dump bag to throw things in. Don't get any big ideas about tossing two 30rd AR mags in the mag looking pockets of the admin section.

17. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can the side straps clip across the front of the pack? Just incase you want strap like a big jacket in front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Captain Adobo

@ southpaw
    The bag is at work and the answer to your question will have to wait until Sunday night, unless someone else can hopefully answer it before then.

19. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thank you. I also noticed that the new version is on Amazon. Tho it's not supposed to be out yet correct? I contact the seller on eBay to confirm but reply is still pending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's out - I had one in hand from a retailer that wasn't Amazon or Ebay.