1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Undershirts....

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by AMilliron, Mar 8, 2013.

1. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

Okay, I was looking through this part of the forum, and had to say something. I grew up in Australia, and one of the things that surprised me when I was younger was the versatility of wool. I did see a post about wool deeper in this section, but it seemed to be focused on it warmth properties. In Australia one of the things that shocked me was that they use it in the summer!

Much to my surprise I found that wool keeps you cool in the summer AND keeps you warm in the winter!

When I got my CCL, one of the things that bugged me was that it was uncomfortable inside the jeans as the holster rubbed against my skin. I decided to try some merino wool strap shirts as undershirts to see how I liked them - after all, if I'm not comfortable, I won't carry!

Again surprised, I always wear a wool strap undershirt now. Even here, where humidity in summer is through the roof and really hot! It is surprising how comfortable they are, and there is no problem with the gear on my belt rubbing against me.

Another thought I had was that some of the 'plastic' shirts I have have melted - in the dryer (stuck to the vent), around the camp fire, etc. The wool looks great, even for wearing every day, and it doesn't stink! The plastic shirts (ie under armor) can be worn once then they get bad. The merino can be worn repeatedly (as in camping) and doesn't really pick up odors.

Does anyone else do something like this as well?

My biggest issue is that merino isn't cheap.....

Kraid likes this.
  2. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

during the 3 warmer seasons here in the US I usually wear something like this 5.11 Tight Crew cause I shoot alot of IDPA and GSSF matches but during the winter time I wear a pair of New Balance Merlino wool base layer (Shirt, Pants) when I go camping or hiking.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I like bamboo for summer wear, but yeah, wool is a fantastic material.

4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

At some point, I want to get some merino wool base layer shirts, but they are just a little prohibitively expensive to justify right now. During the winter, I wear an inexpensive Columbia or similar thermal underwear top under my shirt or fleece because the office that I work in is kept pretty cool. I might have to pick up one to start to check out the differences.

5. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I've been stalking for a good price on high quality merino undershirts, can't seem to break below $50/ea. What is a "strap undershirt"?

Agreed on being against plastic on skin, my half polyester work shirt caught on fire once, the cotton undershirt saved me nasty burns. Bamboo/rayon feels nice, but it is also very flammable, and I find it holds onto skin oils.

6. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

That was actually one of my thoughts. I'm not sure HOW much protection would be afforded, but wool is a flame retardant and so with wearing an under armor polo outer shirt, a wool undershirt would provide some protection in the event of a flash or something.

The strap shirt I wear I guess is called a tank, like here.

And I agree ArnieJB, they are expensive! I originally purchased Icebreaker tanks but then I purchased some Smartwool tanks, and the Smartwool holds up much better in my opinion. I know that some holes were caused in the Icebreakers due to holster rubbing and I think reholster pinches, etc. The Smartwool doesn't have that problem and seems to be made better...

I didn't think about bamboo!! Do they make 100%? I like that idea...

I would mind Hemp, I love that fabric, but again it's difficult to find 100%......

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. Valerian

I've never seen 100% bamboo, but it might exist. The most I have is 95% bamboo and 5% lycra. I've bought most of my bamboo stuff from here (but they contain some cotton as well).

I have one Tilley shirt, which is 100% hemp, I believe. It's very nice, but I think they've discontinued it.

8. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

I'll check it out. I saw the Tilley shirt a while ago, but the issue I have with the Hemp is that all of the clothing I can find has an image of either being shipwrecked on an island somewhere, or that I really like to hug trees and live in the forest. Don't get me wrong, I DO like to be in the forest, but the only time I've hugged a tree is when I'm climbing it....

9. happyhead912

happyhead912 Loaded Pockets

Recently just started using merino...I want all things merino now...

jmd likes this.
  10. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

YES!!! But I'm broke!!!

11. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Haven't tried bamboo, but am a big fan of wool base layers. I have some merino short sleeve T's that are very comfortable even in the Texas heat. I have some Smartwool and Icebreaker T's which I really like. I bought a couple Wickers merino T's during a STP closeout really cheap and they aren't near the quality of my others but for less than $10 each I'm not complaining. I have a T made from silk and another from Tencel. They are pretty nice, but not on par with merino.

12. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

13. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

Good link Patrat! I had known that they aren't taking the actual bamboo fibers themselves, but not sure of the actual process. Does kinda reinforce my thoughts on wanting to have woven fibers, like the merino or hemp fibers. Still, good info!

14. Valerian

We actually have an eco-store in town and they sell some hemp shirts. But I don't like it that they have a hemp leaf logo embroidered on them. I know it's a different kind of hemp, but it looks the same as the drug hemp and I'd rather avoid any drug connotations. So I won't buy them. Pity. (Also, the "shipwreck" thing is an apt description.)

15. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

I feel the same way. I'm not out to advertise anything, so totally agree!!

16. jmd

jmd Loaded Pockets

I am all in Icebreaker merino wool. I replaced all my cotton layers with merino, short, long sleeves, 150g/m², 200g/m². I also started to buy some second layers and socks. It's just way better but yes, it cost a lot...

There is other brands that are doing quality merino like smartwool, woolpower, bergans. They just don't fit as good as Icebreaker in my opinion.

17. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

Have you had any problems with the quality? Have you compared them to Smartwool, and are they then your preference?

18. jmd

jmd Loaded Pockets

Only problem is their size chart that doesn't make any sense. I have some S/M/L... I have two different model of boxer underwear and socks. In the beginning they are scratchy, but I have been able to adapt to socks but unable to adapt to boxers.

Yes because I really think Icebreaker tends to do less pilling and fits better than other brands and they are a little more "fashion". So it's easier to wear them without looking like a hiker/alpinist :)

But I am addicted to Icebreaker so take that

Kraid and AMilliron like this.
  19. remdds

remdds Loaded Pockets

I like plain old cheap cotton. I have owned much Under Armor and decided it's mostly a waste of money. Never again.

20. dalewa

dalewa Loaded Pockets

I live in Texas
    sheep wear wool here
    and they sweat in the summer

TomWelch and rsitter like this.