1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unboxing

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by GQkudzu, Sep 5, 2018.

1. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

Just a quick rant this morning...

I'm wondering if anybody hates "unboxing videos" as badly as I do. Like a lot of you, I search YouTube videos for specific items I'm interested in, but with so many of them, I have to skip through several minutes of "This is the package it comes in," and "They send this little sticker with it," and "Here's the paperwork that will come with it."

Don't care.

I couldn't care less about any of that. If I'm aiming to buy something, I want to see the PRODUCT -- not the box it comes in...not the paper it's wrapped up in.

I assume the poster thinks he/she is sharing the joy of opening a new piece of gear, but that does nothing for me.

Ok...got that out of my system. Return to your days.

azpops, garza and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I hear you.
    Way to much of that.

Actually, I could extend this rant to also include manufacturers who send out all that packaging, paperwork and garbage in the first place.
    Not only do I just want to see the actual product, I would also much prefer to only pay for the actual product.
    This is especially true for watches, with fancy boxes in leather and what not. And you need to keep all this garbage in case you ever consider to sell it, because watch people are crazy, so if you don't include every little item that came with the watch, it will loose resale value like crazy.

GQkudzu likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@GQkudzu and @aicolainen: I basically agree with you guys. There is though one consideration. Given that many of these videos (I did say many, not all) are based on purchased items from the Internet, and given that for some product types fakes are an issue, the unboxing actually can serve a purpose. Assuming the reviewer has taken pains to order authentic rather than fakes, going through the ritual of unboxing can help some prospective viewers to identify how the authentic products are packaged vs the fakes...

Pity that this is part of our world, but there we have it.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza and GQkudzu like this.
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It starts earlier in the video for me.
    Heeeeyyyyy booooys and girrrlsss....
    That’s when my ears start bleeding and I’m closing the video. Nah, I’m good. Rather buy me a 1,200 USD TV and see for myself than listening to this cr*p.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

GQkudzu likes this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Agreed to some degree.
    Packaging may vary significantly between different regions, so unboxing videos could just as well add to the confusion.
    If they made the packaging as minimal as possible all my packaging gripes would go away, i.e. we get faster unboxing videos, more cost effective products, less waste and less cr@p to stowe away around the house. Win, win, win and win :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GQkudzu likes this.
  6. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

Something else I'll throw in: my employer has offered training on making instructional videos to post on YouTube. What I was told in that training is that the optimal time for any such video is only 6 minutes. After that, folks lose interest. Based on my preference for shorter videos vs. longer ones in whatever I'm seeking, I can concur with that. So, when I try to watch a product review, etc. that's 20 minutes long, and 10 minutes of that is opening the !@#$ box, then that's a double annoyance. :)