1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Un-Weapons" and the TSA

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by HoboCoastie, Nov 17, 2014.

1. HoboCoastie

HoboCoastie Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. These are the kind of answers I was looking for. I know the TSA has a long list of policy regarding what is and is not a weapon and what's permitted, which I find really funny, because literally anything can become a weapon with the right motivation.

I saw a youtube video where a guy made a functioning one-shot firearm out of things bought in the airport inside security. I believe he used reenforced cardboard tubing as a barrel, hair spray combustible, battery ignition, maybe a golf ball projectile (?). The thing made a very violent shot. It comes back around to the fact that no law will stop those who are determined to exact evil.

I think I'll be looking for a stainless Sharpee at minimum. I didn't even know they made them.

2. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

I'm a "big" fellow and the flight attendants hand me a "non-weapon" everytime I board the aircraft. A seatbelt extender makes a pretty formidable flail.

3. Kimber custom ii

Kimber custom ii Empty Pockets

What really gets me on the tsa safety issues, I have flown twice in the last 5 years and had women within 3 rows that were knitting with metal knitting needles that where over 10 inches long. they are allowed this type of possible weapon but a pen is scrutinized.

vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

and probably an effective restraint device, if applied near the elbows... :D

EDIT: Oh, hey, these are available at a popular internet auction site for a little as ten bucks!

vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  5. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yup. that and an emery board.... :eek:

HEY! My wife knits (and always takes knitting on the plane). Maybe THAT's why they keep overlooking her SAK Classic Alox....

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Not anymore! :D

kd7dvd, Brtsmpsn and vinsanity286 like this.
  7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

8. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Loving the tips in this thread. Millwall Brick is classic! Great fight scene in the second Bourne movie with magazine as impact tool... I also like to put coins wedged in the spine in the middle of the magazine, roll it up, put a couple of rubberbands on the end and.....boom. Hits like a Mack truck!

Holliday

9. Marriedinorlando

Marriedinorlando Empty Pockets

Hinderer Investigator Pen
    I unscrew the point and throw in one of my bags. The rest of the pen is just a wallet pen. You can buy a flat end too.

I've gone through TSA many many times and never had a 2nd look. It's a pen inside a wallet, with keys and a cell phone in a little bowl.

edit: the point is very obtuse and honestly I've gotten through with it on. I just wouldn't chance on purpose. I have every confidence it will puncture skin though.

[​IMG]

Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I carry a large Titanium Carabiner on my backpack & they've never said a thing. It's almost like a set of knuckles.

11. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I fly regularly with a Surefire EWP-01 and I've never had any issues.

12. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wow I must have been lucky....might need to rethink this blade

Sent from HTC One via Crapatalk

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  13. Marriedinorlando

Marriedinorlando Empty Pockets

How about those poly resin daggers that are usually marketed as CIA daggers? I would never try to get through TSA with one but if it's on your person I don't see how it could come up on the scanner?

Anyone know if those are specifically on the excluded items list? They must be?

hal_chase and Brtsmpsn like this.
  14. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

Relatively same category as asked above, does carbon fiber show up on a scanner? I don't ever plan on flying in a plane again as long as I live, but I'm just kind of interested if it does.
    100% carbon fiber knives
    [​IMG]

Marriedinorlando and Brtsmpsn like this.
  15. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

from what I've read on the full body scanners, where you carry things makes a difference on if/how it shows up. This guy gets all kinds of stuff through in a demonstration. from this thread, though, it sounds like the best option is to carry your tools with some yarn and 10 inch knitting needles.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  16. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I forgot about this. I carry one of these everywhere - through lots of checkpoints, even through universal studios. They would be perfect for a set of knucks and double as my keychain holder when off work.

I prefer the oval, Omega, locking carabiner. The D shape is nice but doesn't fit the knuckles as well.

I'm rocking a non-locking one currently because the dang online company sent me the wrong one.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  17. Analog.Upload

Analog.Upload Loaded Pockets

I still don't understand what someone would need a set of 7 inch screwdrivers pliers and wrenches on a plane. To me that guy would be far more suspect then the guy with a Swiss army type knife. That said like others here I avoid flying.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  18. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

A knife is a lousy SD weapon anyway. And the TSA has lists with pictures and regularly updated bulliten of disguised items. It actually looks eerily similar to my Xmas wish list, but anyway...
    They sell rubber coated glass bottles that are carried in a mesh sling type of thing... Ya know, glass is reusable, and easy to clean, and green because it was recycled, etc... Its also heavy and hard when filled with liquid. If a guy with a knife came at me, I would rather a swinging heavy object on a rope rather than an equal sized knife! However, I have yet to be attacked since I was 14 and probabally asking for it.

JustinJ, Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  19. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

It is all up to the discretion (ignorance) of the individual TSA agent. I've once spoke with a fellow traveler who said that his carabiner was confiscated as brass knuckles.

I seem to remember a story of the guy whose Glock lapel type pin was confiscated because it was a gun. :frantic:

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  20. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

If they saw it they'd take it off you for sure but they're made out of the same stuff as my Koppo Stick which I regularly take thru X-Ray and never gets 'seen'

Sent from HTC One via Crapatalk