1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Ultra minimalist keyring

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by dieck, May 29, 2008.

1. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

You could. I don't like them because the "patch" wears out quickly. There are also half-height Nylocks (AN364 IIRC) but the jet nuts are much smaller.
    It would be dicey to keep Loctite from flowing between the keys and sticking them together. That stuff is deliberately very low viscosity and will run everywhere. It would not be my choice. If you want to do that be sure to use the blue stuff. The red or green will need to be heated for disassembly.
    Personally I wouldn't mess around countersinking a key but if you wanted to do that it would take maybe 0.050" out of the height of the stack. Maybe that's worth it to someone.

2. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

I have the blue locktite stick, the viscosity is higer than the liquid. its like a glue stick. Sex bolts are fairly deep so if you put some threadlocker on the bottom threads of the screw i think it would work in without getting everywhere.

Im doing a similar project, i bough a flip key on ebay for my 01 maxima, its a cheapish plastic case, inside theres the spring and button, a cut key blank on a rotating part, the transponder chip and the guts of a nissan remote. Theres a button on the top that when pressed flips out the key. The key is on its side so this thing is thick, thicker than i would like but i have enough space beneath the remote guts area to fit a couple large coin cells for duall 5mm white leds im installing in front. Im adding a tritium vial. On the bottom side of the case im going to screw my housekey which will rotate like this project, i may use a countsunk screw there i may not. Inside theres enough space for a jet nut.

Only for curiosity sake is it possible to have a solid rivet or hollow rivet countersunk on both sides?

3. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Sounds good. I have not seen that stuff; have only worked with the liquids and I generally avoid them unless nothing else will work. But that is a personal preference.
    I dunno. My only experience is with the kind of rivets used on airplanes and race cars, where only one side is countersunk. Maybe leatherworkers (www.tandyleatherfactory.com) or knife people (http://www.jantzsupply.com, www.knifekits.com) would have something. You could rummage around at Brownells, too, though I don't ever recall seeing anything like that used in gunsmithing. Maybe McMaster, too.

4. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

sex bolts knife pivots, similar animals.

Some of my chefs knifes have cutlery rivets in the handle which are countersunk on both sides. Im curious if compression rivets would work. Again its only out of curiosity since im using screws in my project.

5. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

This keyring wouldn't work without mods for me because my car key has a transponder chip in the plastic and my car wont start without it.

But to be honest the Ultra Ultra minimalist keyring is just too small for me, id have a hard time finding it.
    I like the convienence of keyless entry and edc a light on my keys so im going to put together my most miminalist keyring solution which also echews an actual ring.

6. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

I just remembered i had a swisstech utili-key somewhere. What ever type that rivet may be, it is flush on both sides.

[​IMG]

there isnt much friction at all, but that tab and detents on the top lock it at 0 90 and 180 degrees

EDIT: Needlnose pliers usually have a completely flush pivot/rivet/pin of some type too.

[img width=640 height=272]http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/Photos/tools/utica_654-6_pliers_needlenose_cropped.jpg[/img]

7. DunnyMaayte

DunnyMaayte Empty Pockets

I think its good, but i prefer to be OVER prepared, so i have lots of stuff on my keys =)

2 GB usb
    led light
    victorinox classic
    bottle opener
    swisstech utilikey
    telepen

job done :)

New_Pollution1086 likes this.
  8. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

The rivets on those type of pliers is a stud then pressed. The metal on the pliers themselves is channeled around the hole so they can be flush. Like countersinking a rivet.

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I like this idea. Did you use a steel or an aluminum rivet?

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Brilliant, simply brilliant!

If I do it, I will probably use a small, fine thread bolt and a Nylock nut or some temporary Locktite and a standard nut so that I can adjust the friction.

11. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the delay. Account got messed up with the move. It was an aluminum rivet.

12. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

LOL - Not stumbled across this thread before, but when I saw the title I was expecting a photo o an empty split ring ;D

Love the idea, but I'm not minimalist enough to take the time to follow it through. Kudos to all who do though, hope it works for you. Anyone tried this (seen as its an old thread) and found it not work for any reason?

Concepts are great - reality based feedback is better :-X

13. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

amazing idea. i dont have the problem of too many keys, but i might have one day, and this is the solution.

14. chevyscrounger

chevyscrounger Loaded Pockets

HAHA wow. I just thought of this very idea driving to work this morning. I did this on my lunch break
    [​IMG]

15. muskrat

muskrat Loaded Pockets

tried this today using a chicago bolt with some loctite and it worked great. made a small change in that i used thin washers and a plastic key cover re-drilled so it sticks out above the keys which allowed me to attach a small split ring for a button flashlight.

16. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

would be interested to see a pic

Please :)

17. ncmonag

ncmonag Loaded Pockets

Here's a couple more using binding posts/chicago screws, I'm a bit constrained on what I can do to most of the keys, cannot dupe or cut my work keys, and I wanted to keep the key fob with my car keys so I've included a few extra tools, still pretty compact in the pocket. Still trying to decide if/how i want to attach the P-7 clips I got in the mail today.
    [​IMG]

18. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Love this key mod =)

However, for someone without a vise, grinder, etc. - what would be a good and affordable way to get my keys ground down? Will they do this at Home Depot? Or like a knife-sharpening shop? (there's one in town).

19. ncmonag

ncmonag Loaded Pockets

I did the work on the 1 key I could using my Dremel

20. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bump and old thread, but it would be nice to revive it anyway I guess.

Can I ask a question regarding the pop rivet and use with split rings? Basically I want to use this idea but would want a split ring though the holes of the keys and never having used pop rivets before I'm not sure whether you are left with a hollow tube or whether it is filled with the pin of metal that's left over. Halp!