1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Ultra minimalist keyring

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by dieck, May 29, 2008.

1. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

That rocks dude ... I need to go get some extra keys made for these projects. :D

2. Eon

Eon Loaded Pockets

I have to carry 7 keys and some of them are big so the keyman mod was not for me, then I saw this post and lightning hit me. Thanks for the idea, now my keys are lighter and they don't rattle anymore.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't put washers and they work fine, over time they tend to lose the tension but when that happens I put another rivet. They also need to lose some more metal no?

3. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

The only thing I would change in this setup is that I would change out the rivet for a chicago-type screw. If you need to take a key off or add one, however unlikely, will have to break out the power tools to do it.

4. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I would take a bastard file or grinder to them while riveted. Work them down until they are all smooth and flush. Will feel great and look better. Good job!

5. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

Not familiar with a chicago style screw. Do you have any pics or links? Where would I go to buy one?

6. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

A quick Google search turned up this. I found mine in the fastener section of Home Depot or Lowe's, don't remember which right now.
    I have no affiliation with the company. They were the first to turn up on the Google search with a good picture.

7. Eon

Eon Loaded Pockets

HEY! Glad you liked it teacher ;D, that file and I have a date soon.

As for the Chicago-type screw I don't know I don't change my keys at all, but is nice to know there is another option mainly for people who do need to change their keys, but for now I'm happy :laugh: ...(and they are cool :cool:)

8. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Any issues with broken/bent keys?

I can't seem to keep a regular key on a regular ring in normal condition, much less a shortened, filed, and drilled version.

Cool idea though, so long as you don't snap a key off in anything.

9. Eon

Eon Loaded Pockets

So far I haven't had any issues with broken keys, but you can get more leverage with it than a single key specially on the ones that are close to the middle so I'll be careful.

10. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

These are great space saving ideas for key rings, but what to do about the keys with the RC fob molded around it??
    Any ideas, I'm getting my workspace cleared up to start my minimalist key ring deal.

11. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

I don't have any keys with an integrated fob. I do have the massive non-integrated fobs and just don't use em.

12. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

The problem with those is they are not locking unless you mung the threads and then the friction would be unpredictable.

I would use an Unbrako type button head screw and a MS21042 jet nut. Jet nuts are tiny and have good metal-to-metal locking friction, so it would be easy to adjust the tension on the keys. Cut the screw flush with the nut. You'll need a new screw every time the number of keys changes, but they are cheap. 6-32s are readily available but 4-40 (MS21042-4) would be even better.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=41kv0t
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an363.php

If you want to frost the cake, find someone with a rock tumbler and use it to soften the sharp edges on the nut.

Actually, you could do this to a stack of keys without cutting them down.

13. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Made these over a year ago. Currently EDC the can opener set
    [​IMG]

14. dieck

dieck Loaded Pockets

These are great! Do you have any more pics of the can opener with the keys open?

15. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Sure thing
    [​IMG]

16. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

NICE!!

Heres mine I did a while back..

[​IMG]

[img width=596 height=640]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/034-1.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  17. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Looks good, Dafabricata!

18. Eon

Eon Loaded Pockets

mmm... I think the easiest way will be to put a little hook or a little piece of metal with a hole between the keys and hooked them to your fob, another way will be to modify the fob and have an opening in it an place your keys in it or hook them to it, how big is your fob? have you opened it before?.
    Or maybe you can ditch the fob and buy yourself one of these:
    http://www.viper.com/smartstart/
    I will love one... but is not cheap, and I don't live in US.

19. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

That's a tempting idea about the Viper car starter... but I am a crackberry addict.
    I may switch fruit baskets and go with iPhone if my Berry doesn't behave itself, but the convenience doesn't merit the expense for me a this time.
    And I have to tread lightly about the key fob I do have, one false move and the lady of the house will have my kidney for dinner.

20. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

I dont know of any locking sex bolts(chicago screws) but couldnt you instead use one of those locking screws with a patch of nylon on one side or just loctite?

Also why do you recomend button head screws instead of the lower profile countersunk screws lol.