1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Comfortable Dress Shoes??

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by sventvkg, Feb 20, 2016.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Not sure of the price, I have some Johnson and Murphy wingtips that are really comfortable. great looking shoes. maybe check into that.

demPho likes this.
  2. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I wear my Johnston and Murphy Penn's during 5 hour recruiter trips and don't have any issues at all. They are as comfortable as my tennis shoes.

They come in wide sizes.

I would second a pair of mephisto's, but strongly recommend you get fitted.

You might also consider a fatigue mat

ran23 likes this.
  3. MashBill

MashBill Loaded Pockets

Allen Edmonds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  4. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

In the price range, from my limited (to J&M, Allen Edmunds, Cole haan) experience, Johnston and Murphy gives exceptional styling and matched comfort. I wear them when I photograph weddings which tend to be 8-10-sometimes 12 hours of pretty non stop action.

:::googling mephisto's:::

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Dunham is a dress shoe line made by New Balance. I can run races in them.

6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Ive got a pair of lightweight Clarke oxfords - they are my trade show shoes. 3-4 days on concrete, 8-10 day, wearing a suit and a smile.

ran23 likes this.
  7. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Clarks yes, Ecco yes, Red Wing no. Maybe I got the wrong shoes, but those suckers had me shopping for a cane in six months with horrible plantar pain. Went back to Ecco and the pain disappeared. Have worn through two pair of Clarks and they're swell.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Redwing Postman Oxford or Chukka

9. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

For dress shoes now I can only wear Drew Walker II shoes. I recommend them, as they have steel shanks and are very supportive and comfortable, but the Merrell Pulsate has more cushioning on the bottom. Maybe you could get away with one of the Merrell hiking shoes with single-tone solid leather uppers?

10. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I recently bought Rockport and Madden shoes. They look great and are fine sitting at a desk all day. However, I wouldn't want to be on my feet more than 30 minutes in either of them. They have very little cushion or support. Is there anything that feels more like Merrel's that look appropriate in an office or church?

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

For a true dress shoe, one of my favorites is the Dockers Perspective shoes. They are comfortable, look dressy, and wear great. They are very easy to clean up. I have used them for travel because I can walk all day in them, buff them, and wear them with a suit.

For a dressy shoe (such as for office wear), I like some of the Dunhill Dunham shoes. They are a New Balance brand, and they feel like tennis shoes. Actually, they feel better than 90% of the tennis shoes that I have ever worn. They are very light-weight, too. Like the Dockers, they clean up very well, but they do not look as dressy.

Last edited by jag-engr, Jul 25, 2016
    Gary Gross likes this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Pretty sure you meant "Dunham" not "Dunhill" :D.

jag-engr likes this.
  13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I don't work in an office so I don't need a pair of "dress" shoes but I've found Rockport's "dress casual" shoes are very comfortable even after 8 hours on my feet. Rockport is owned by Adidas so they borrow some of the sneaker technology. As of December 2017 Rockport is owned by Crescent Capital Group, who bought it from Berkshire Partners, who bought it from Adidas.

Thinking back to some of the "dress" shoes I have owned with basically a leather sole and a thin insole. I didn't find most of them uncomfortable at the time but many years and more than a few pounds later, I would imagine they would be horrible to wear if I was on my feet all day.

#33 mike3145, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    ran23 likes this.
  14. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Go ask your local nurses where they get their dress shoes and get some of those

15. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately they all wear athletic shoes. I can't get away with that at work.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

16. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Ah, they are required to wear black leather here as part of their uniform.

17. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Where is this? :)

18. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

As someone who has suffered foot pain for most of my life, I am going to recommend 3 things:

1) A good quality shoe. It doesn't have to be the most expensive shoe around, but don't buy a "cheap" shoe. I'm certain any of the shoes recommended here are good shoes.

2) A proper fit. I don't just mean length and width, but proper support and the right stability as well. Arch support can be changed with slip in orthotics, provided the shoe is large enough to fit one. Stand on one foot while you are wearing the shoe. You should be able to balance for as long as standing in bare feet. Cushioning is important. Don't forget the soles. I personally like a sole that fairly flexible, ymmv.

3) Socks. It sounds funny, but a good pair of socks can make a huge difference. I personally perfer something with some cushioning in the soles and built in arch support. A wicking sock is nice if it is warm out, or if you are walking a lot. Sometimes I will use a light weight hiking sock in a subdued, solid colour inside dress shoes. A Smart Wool or Merrino blend.

I find if I follow these 3 things, I can walk or stand all day. If I don't, I'm in pain almost right away. Good luck.

Adam Ng, chaosmagnet and Gary Gross like this.
  19. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

With all due respect Sir,
    My Granpa always said that hush puppy is a 9mm S&W with a silencer....:D

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  20. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Touche! With all due respect to YOU, malraux72, MY grandpa always said that the hush puppy was an essential side dish with fried fish!

Gary Gross and malraux72 like this.