1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

UK legal / slipjoint pocketknife recommendations

Discussion in 'Knives' started by rossar01, May 25, 2007.

1. rossar01

rossar01 Empty Pockets

In the UK it's illegal to carry a knife with a locking mechanism (without a reason) which is extremely irritating :mad:. What you are allowed to carry is a non - locking or slipjoint knife with a blade of less than 3 inches.

I'm looking for a new knife and need some recommendations which will be legal to carry every day, I'm more inclined to custom and gentleman's folders rather than anything tactical. I'm wanting something quite special as i only like to have a few well-made knives rather than plenty of mediocre ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

rossar01,

That's a tough one for me... I feel terrible for you folks that live in places that are so strict on knife carry...

There are plenty of knife experts aboard here, so I hope that somone can provide you with some suggestions shortly.

Dan

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Apparently Queen Cutlery has made a name for itself, especially on your side of the pond. Never owned or touched one, but you can see the designs for yourself and see the good things said about them... http://www.queencutlery.com/

Also, Spyderco makes two non-locking folders right now. One is the UKPK, designed to the specifications of members on the British Blades forum. (A great place to read about knives! These guys may not be *allowed* to carry all sorts of knives but they certainly still do know their stuff!)

The other Spyderco is the T-Mag, which uses magnets instead of a spring/slipjoint to keep the blade in place. Thus, it does not lock but is still fairly secure. I have the UKPK myself and I love it; many people have claimed that the lack of a lock on the UKPK is not at all restrictive due to the finger choils integrated into the design. From what I've read, both knives have seen rave reviews, and the UKPK was especially well-received over on your side.

There's also the Spyderco Pride, but I think it is discontinued. Also, it is really ugly, more so than most Spydercos. By the way, the UK Penknife is about $80 from NewGrahamKnives.com and the T-Mag is about $150 from the same. They are quite happy to ship to the UK, too.

Also, you might want to keep in mind that for the most part British bobbies don't see the locking blades on the Leatherman tools as dangerous or even illegal, but you might want to check over on BritishBlades for people's experiences.

4. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

the fallkniven u1(?) i believe is a slipjoint. might want to check that out.

5. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Can definitely recommend Spyderco's UKPK. The CPMS30V blade offers superb cutting power. It's not quite a gentlemans folder, but if you can look past this, you won't be dissappointed.

6. Hellz

Hellz Loaded Pockets

I can recommend both the Spyderco UKPK and the Queen Cutlery Canoe as I have both and EDC them. Another option, that I don't own, but might be more what you are looking for is the William Henry Legacy Friction Folder:

WH Legacy

Quite a smart looking knife you'll have to agree ;)

Take care,
    Patrick

7. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I can highly recommend the Spyderco UKPK & a Fallkniven U1. They are both fantastic slippies.

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Those WH knives sure are tempting... good thing I'm broke! :broke:

9. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

Douk-Douk!

The small one is less than 3 inches, it's inexpensive (not cheap), and they're great blades. Very solid lockup on blade that doesn't technically lock.

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I mean the Fallknivesn U1. NOT the U2, which is a lock back.

11. rossar01

rossar01 Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the replies, i had a look at your suggestions. The Queen cutlery knives seem o.k but i'm not sure the blades are under 3". I know Spyderco's are well-built but i can't help but dislike the looks of anything tactical. The Douk-Douk and the Fallkniven seem solid but i'm looking for something a little more pretty.

I really like that WH Legacy, it has a great looking blade but i don't know how solid the friction folders are at the open position. If it was a slipjoint and had wooden or Black pearl handles, i would be hunting for the best price at the moment :drool:.

Keep up all the suggestions, i appreciate it.

12. Raven

Raven Empty Pockets

I'd have a very hard time in a place with those restrictions. Are they also illegal to own - as in keeping at home? I'd move. :(

13. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

IMHO you cant go wrong with a SAK, so long as you stick to the bright red ones & stay away from black or camo, no UK Bobby in their right mind will be bothered by your carrying a small SAK, and theyre quite non-knife-people friendly, too.

The situation with it being illegal to carry a knife over here isnt as bad as everyone on the other side of the pond thinks, lets be honest, there are plenty of places in Europe AND in the States where you cant carry one, either!!

I carry allsorts of stuff, but cant say Im EVER in fear of being stopped and searched or pulled-over in my car & searched for weapons. (There just arent enough cops!! but thats a whole other subject!)

14. raptor

raptor BST/Marketplace ban

i just got a Klotzli Skellern Sl-1 slipjoint folder. Carbon fiber handle 12C27 stainless steel, 3 inch closed length if that....great little knife

www.klotzli.com

15. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

That's one of the most rediculous laws i've heard of lately :rolleyes:

Sounds like lots of cut fingers to me, while bad guys continue to stab people with kitchen knives and screwdrivers :mad: