1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

UK legal non locking sub 3" blade folder

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a small folder which would be legal in the uk. This means a blade of less than 3" and not capable of locking. Any ideas?

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco UKPK was designed for this very purpose. I also think at the SAK is probably the best non-locking blade out there, in terms of utility.

3. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

+ 1

A small multi-tool (Leaterman Juice) is another option.

4. Stuart69

Stuart69 Empty Pockets

I love my Michael Morris friction folder. This one has a 1.5" blade and OD Micarta scales and a built in bottle opener :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

And if the Spyderco UKPK isn't cheap enough, there is the UK Lightweight coming soon which will be about $30 with a hollow grind, GIN-1 steel and FRN scales instead of G-10.

6. :-)

:-) Loaded Pockets

Fallkniven U1

7. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr Loaded Pockets

A lot of custom friction folder. (Jryan work for example, or mine or everybody else whose make friction folder)

French small Douk Douk , Opinel N°6,

Couteaux des sorgues by Xavier Conil (not a custom)
    [​IMG]

Higonokami, SAK.... There are a lot of possibility.

8. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Urban, Spyderco UKPK, or Spyderco UKPK FRN (which will be out any day now for around 30 bucks). Other options are swiss army knives.

9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Thanks for the input. I'm just looking to supplement my vehicle kitwith a small blade. I already edc a victorinox sak in my Maxped Mongo. The spyderco blades look tasty.

10. cockroach

cockroach Empty Pockets

A Svord Peasant is a really good cheap option if it's just to leave in the car.
    It's a big strong friction folder, but they seem to vary a bit in blade length.
    If yours turns out to be over 3", just belt sand the end off the blade point (carefully so not to overheat!).

11. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

If it's just to leave in the car does it need to be non-locking? There is a way to modify a falkniven U2 so the lock doesn't work. Check out the Britishblades forum for details. I don't think you can beat that knife for value.

I think spyderco have really missed the point with the ukpk. Ok it's legal but the look of the knife will get you in more trouble than it's worth IMO.

12. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I have a few 3"+ blades knocking about, but I fancied having something that would be ok to carry in my bag if necessary/accidentally, as well as in the car. I'm a fairly smart and well dressed kinf of fella si I don't attract too much attention and I know when to keep 'toys' hidden from view.

britishblades was a great help thanks.

13. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

FWIW an Opinel No6 is technically a lock blade even though the lock (viroloc ring) has to be operated manually, so if a fully legal opinel is required for UK EDC you either need to pop the ring off a No6 or No7, or settle for a No5. I have got a couple of No6's and think they are exceptional little folders for the price and weight. Generally though, I'll carry an SAK (Vic Tourist), a Case folder (camper with pliers, barlow or seahorse whittler) or a Sheffield made pocket knife (cheapie carbon steel Sheepfoot, buffalo horn/brass senator or buffalo horn Wostenholm IXL clip blade).

I have quite a wide range of sub 3" slippies but these are the ones I keep coming back to time and time again, and in daily use have always performed the task more than adequately. I too have several other knives which need "good reason" to be carried, and like to make sure they all get an "airing" from time to time - with good reason of course!

BTW - A nice little tool which LOOKS like a normal traditional penknife - but isn't (OHO + linerlock) is a Kershaw Double Cross

14. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

15. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Boker Plus has a slipjoint Trance and an XS coming out soon (May i think) which will both be legal one handed slippies with pocket clips. As mentioned there is the UKPK FRN out soon and Spydie also has a slipjoint Kiwi soon too.

16. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

17. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

Yes it does. Car same as person in UK law, so have to be careful.

18. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I know, I feel your pain!

There are so many excellent knives I won't bother buying because I can't carry the :censored: thing!

Personally I went for the ubiquitous UKPK for EDC purposes and it hasn't disappointed :)

19. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

Doesn't that depend where it is in the car? I keep a SAK locker in my tool kit, or a multitool with a locking blade, surely that is classed as having a purpose?

20. cockroach

cockroach Empty Pockets

If you think you could convince a magistrate that you've got a good reason for carrying a lock knife, go for it!
    Bear in mind there is case law which states that "just in case it comes in handy" is not a good reason.