1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Uk knives rules and reg

Discussion in 'Knives' started by benjamin hunt, Jun 10, 2019.

1. benjamin hunt

benjamin hunt Empty Pockets

Im aware of the uk law thats it illegal to carry a locking blade over 3 inches. Was wondering if there as anyone on here from the uk that could recomend some blades and other uk lrgal edc items.

2. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

You can carry anything so long as you require it for work, hobbies or religious reasons...with a few caveats. Common sense needs to be used.

UK legal knives are getting better. The Boker+ slipjoint range are good. UKPK by spyderco, Squeak and Pingo are great knives. I like my CRKT Liong Mah #5, despite mixed reviews. Svord Peasant Mini is also good fun.
    My latest edc is a copy of a flipper slipjoint (Bean design); bought off aliexpres . The real thing is way too much £££££.

Have a look:
    https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/uk-friendly-carry-knives

My favourite online knife and edc stuff retailer.

#2 ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

What this guy said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

All I’d add is that unless you need one-hand-opening, you still can’t go wrong with a SAK - theyre people friendly too.

4. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

In the police the most common held knife from what I have seen is Boker Plus XS Drop Point, usually with the ex forces officers.

The 2 bits of ledgislation for knives are Points & blades and Offensive weapons. Heanie site has pages of UK legal knives (under 3" and none lockable blade) which makes you safe under the points and blades law. As for the offensive weapon laws the police need to prove intention to hurt someone so if you are doing edc stuff you are fine.

I have 3 Boker Plus dropp points in various bags which I carry on streets. If I am doing outdoor (bushcraft, military stuff etc) only then do fixed or lock blades come out of house. Boker plus has G10 handle and almost seems like a lock knife with firmness, it is one of Hennies best sellers. However its gone up in pricea fair bit with weak £.

5. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

All the above make great points. SAKs and other nail nick knives are much less startling to non-knife folk, but a quality one hand opener like the Boker XS, Spyderco UKPK, Bestech Junzi, Spyderco Urban, Byrd Tern, or Kizer Zip-Slip etc. is far more convenient/practical (I find) in daily cutting.

My recommendations are the Urban and Junzi. Two very different but very excellent tools. Neither is dirt cheap (the Junzi is downright pricey) but both are worth their respective costs imho.

For a good bang for buck one hander, I'd suggest the Byrd Tern or the Boker XS. Both are solid working tools. A Swiss Army knife (SAK) is almost an absolute must have for anyone into edc. Of those I'd suggest the Huntsman or Fieldmaster (same knife except one has the corkscrew and mini spectacles driver, the other has a large Phillips head driver instead of the corkscrew). These are the best balance of tools to size ratio.

For two hand opening knives may I also recommend the Victorinox Alox Cadet, Solo, Pioneer or Farmer, the Manly Wasp (pocket laser), the TBS Boar (pocket bushcrafter), Boker Tech tools, the British Army knife (sturdy but heavy) or anything by Rough Rider (their quality is amazing for the price).

As mentioned, Heinnie is a great site for all sorts of useful kit, so is edcgear.co.uk. Etsy and Ebay also may turn up some very nice pieces of edc.

If you're willing to pay and wait, there are UK custom makers who will make you a family heirloom of a slip-joint to your specifications. The Edgematters forum is a good place to ask for signposting to a reputable maker. (Sorry, hope it's not bad form to mention another forum)

Happy hunting

M oose

Last edited by Moose, Jun 11, 2019
    #5 Moose, Jun 11, 2019
  6. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

For me a torch is a must:
    Ebay and some Chinese sites have myriad options to choose from at affordable prices. But a good primary torch in my opinion is the Olight S1A Baton. It takes AA /14500 batteries. It's small enough to carry in pocket but powerful enough to push out 500+ lumens for a decent amount of time. It does cost more than many Chinese offerings but it's not a fortune, can take powerful 14500's, lithium, rechargeable or standard common AA batteries, so is very versatile; and the build quality is reliably first rate. They have a UK website too so quick delivery. For a key-ring torch I carry a Klarus Mini One.

A Fisher Space pen or Zebra Fx-MD pen are my suggestion for writing tool unless you want an overtly tactical pen (in which case check the bay, Amazon and Chinese sites for cheap aluminium or brass pens)

A clipper lighter for me is more practical than a Zippo (but not as cool). But Man Needs Fire!

Imho, knife, torch, lighter and pen are the basic pocket quartet around which to build a proper edc
    (keys, mobile phone and wallet are a given).

Then there are watches, water bottles, redundancy, pry-bars (never seen the utility personally), power banks, fidget toys, redundancy, first aid, carry systems, redundancy, and the whole nine yards of key-chain, neck-chain and pocket jewels and tools that you never knew you had such a need of before they caught your eye.

Last edited by Moose, Jun 11, 2019
    #6 Moose, Jun 11, 2019
  7. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

My recommendation is the Heinnie Haynes exclusive version of the Spyderco UKPK.
    CPM S30V instead of CTS BD1. red G10 instead of black FRN, bronze washers instead of no washers, additional screw and a full spine, £79.95 instead of £67.95.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spyderco Heinnie Haynes® UK Penknife G10

dorebow, surefire7, Lateck and 3 others like this.
  8. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Point of correction: It is illegal to carry a locking blade (of any size) or a blade over 3 inches (regardless of whether or not it locks).

You may have understood this point, but I just wanted to make sure - we don't want any members getting arrested!

10. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

There are 3 classes of knives in the UK.
    Those that are outright illegal... like switchblades, gravity knives, disguised knives.
    Those that are not subject to any restrictions in public (except schools etc...) where the blade is 3" or less, and foldable at all times.
    And then everything else that would require a valid reason to carry in public, all fixed knives, all locking knives, all knives over with blades over 3" (assuming not an illegal type)

11. benjamin hunt

Thankyou for the corrections and the advice, i carry a SAK huntsman every day already, you guys have given me some great ideas for one handed openeing blades. Thanks everyone.

Moose and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  12. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

Wow! Has it always been like this in the UK?
    If I visited there from the US, would these rules apply to me?
    I know the bobbies didn't carry guns in the past; is it still like this?
    Just curious.

benjamin hunt likes this.
  13. benjamin hunt

The rule would apply to you along without being able to carry any firearm in public. Police can be armed just not all of them.

14. Tallboyjim

Well, of course the rules would apply to you, why wouldn’t they?

Coppers still don’t carry guns in the main, knife laws have been as they are more or less since 1996. Theyve tinkered around with sentences a bit since I think. Flick knives have been banned since the year dot - 1959 according to google.

dorebow, Journo, jag-engr and 2 others like this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Gearbest has some cheapo - but perfectly serviceable OHO knives. I bought a couple of sanrenmus and I’ve been very happy with them. Search on there for no lock knives and a few will pop up.

Moose and benjamin hunt like this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

If you can still find one, Spyderco PITS is the best UK legal knife in my opinion, it were never cheap though.

dorebow and Moose like this.
  17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Possibly not if you're a diplomat. Otherwise, definitely.

dorebow, Moose and garza like this.
  18. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act of 1988 is the relevant section of the law. And a court case in 1992 Harris v. DPP that convinced a court that all locking knives were effectively fixed knives. Therefore setting a precedent.

Yes, they would.

Some parts of the police forces do carry, Glock 17s. Armed response units also have HK MP5s and G36s, which can see being carried occasionally.

dorebow likes this.
  19. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

Very interesting; Thanks.
    My mom's best friend was my uncle's wife, who he married while stationed in the UK during WW2.
    My middle name is my aunties brothers first name; Roderick.

benjamin hunt likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Let us hope that no one here in US cites that case and gets the precedent transferred into US case law... I'd bet this has happened with some of the Commonwealth countries!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David