1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

UK Based FAK Recommendations

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Andi Licious, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Andi Licious

Andi Licious Loaded Pockets

Hi guys,

After a recent fishing incident where I overchecked hook sharpness....

I am looking for a basic kit I could order online. I’m not worried about the pouch / case it comes in as I’ll swap it out into something better it arrives.

All I seem to find is the UK first aid at work kits or really overpriced camping kits.

Also any items you recommend adding in to make it a better setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I wouldn't bother buying a pre-made kit. They're usually full of useless crap and are missing the important stuff.Get a small case and you can choose exactly what you need.
    I like the Reliance Medical brand for quality but cheap. Steroplast made the best plasters IMO, sticky as duct tape but will take your body hair off. I've used the website medisave before now and it's fairly good, especially if you're stocking up for a bunch of kits.

3. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I'd second @thegrouch314 , but with a couple of provisos:
    • Have you had any training? If so, great. If not, I'd suggest getting that before getting a kit. It'll inform your choices of what to carry as well as how to use it. St John Ambulance do good courses (with a workplace bias) and so do High Peak First Aid (with an outdoors bias).
    • If you've had some training then sourcing your own kit contents will probably get you a better kit than if you buy one off the shelf. It will probably be more expensive too, but you might be able to buy larger quantities and do multiple kits that serve you better (home kit, car kit, PFAK, etc.). I'd suggest buying the contents first and then buying the case to fit them rather than the other way round.
    For off the shelf choices, I bought an earlier version of the St John Ambulance Zenith Travel and Motoring Workplace First Aid Kit a while back and it wasn't bad. The contents are pretty reasonable quality and the pouch is good.

It used to come with a 500ml eyewash bottle which I'd suggest swapping out for a few pods and an eye-bath. A cohesive bandage would be a good addition (unless you have a latex allergy), along with some Compeed blister plasters and (if there's any chance of you having to treat yourself) an unbreakable mirror. I like to carry some Oragel dental anaesthetic too - a broken tooth can happen to anyone and is... ...distracting! Easiplaster is very useful stuff for treating cuts to fingers and hands (again, contains latex). A card wrap of duct tape and a roll of 3M Transpore would also make my list.

I wish you well with whatever you end up with.

Last edited by PragmaticMurphyist, Dec 9, 2019
    #3 PragmaticMurphyist, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    thegrouch314 likes this.
  4. Andi Licious

Andi Licious Loaded Pockets

Cheers guys.

I have a fair bit of training before. BCD and the like from the army days, lived in Afghan contracting and had to do quite a few first aid things. Back home I’m the First Aider for our company and organise all the lads doing the day courses etc. So hopefully I’m clued up enough to sort myself out....if only I had a FAK

I’ll be having a look around and see what I can get. It’s funny because I have access to loads of stuff at work but never thought to bring any of it into my personal life. I suppose my brain said that I could only get hurt at work as that’s where all the FAK and training is. Who knows.

All I know is I had a size 4 barbed hook buried through my finger to the bone and I had to pull it back out and rip my flesh as I couldn’t push it round and out past the bone to cut the barb off. I was left with a bleeding tear in my finger and I thought well, if only I was at work I would be able to sort this

I’m not expecting to have anything more serious than the hook incident happen, possible worst case would be slipping in the mud and breaking a bone but I will be getting an ambulance for anything like that! So mainly plasters / small bandage / antiseptic / cleaning of small cuts would be the main items. I’m never out away from any help on my own or in places that medical help couldn’t easily get to so it’s more of a booboo kit for me. Which is why I thought I would be able to make do with a pre made kit. But I will go to the chemist and the aisle at Tesco and see what they have loose and how big it all is and try put something together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Good stuff. Hopefully you'll never have to use any of it and it'll be a complete waste of money! ;)

Amazon is another good source of stuff that you won't find on the aisle at Tesco's.

6. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I know Wilko do a 'build your own' first aid kit. You buy the bag and the items separately so you only get what you need, which is fairly handy to start with, although the quality isn't great. The bandages and dressings are fine, the tape is abysmal.

7. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

Andi,

Where about in the UK are you based mate ?