1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Uhf cb radio

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Angus_Macgyver, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Angus_Macgyver

Angus_Macgyver Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a uhf set up got the car.
    I've been using uhf for a few years now so I know how to operate. Unfortunately I've only used handheld.

I know I need a radio and mic, antenna, wiring etc. what else will I need? I can install but is there something in missing?
    I'm going to source all my parts independently so I get a good bargain.

Any ideas on make. I know Motorola are good and uniform is reliable. Any other brands that are a bit cheaper but just as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just a regular CB radio? Uniden and Midway are my favs...Cobra is decent. Have a truck stop near you? Buy a radio and a magnet mount antenna and your good. You can probably get a decent radio for $120-150 IIRC. After I got one I got a few items for sale from other users.

3. Angus_Macgyver

so really its just radio and antenna

4. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

There is a big difference between UHF and CB. Are you talking about GRMS radios like the Motorolla Talkabout? Those are UHF, while CB is on a much lower frequency in the HF range.

If so, I don't know of any mobile GRMS radios, but it seems like they should exist. A lot of people use UHF radios programmable in that range, like business or public safety radios, as GRMS radios in their cars, but that is almost certainly illegal.

I would suggest getting a ham license, the tech test is pretty easy and there will be a lot more you can do.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

5. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I think UHF CB is an Australian thing.

6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Loaded Pockets

I looked a few years ago for mobile FRS/GMRS radio gear to go in my truck along with my VHF/UHF ham radio and CB. I didn't find anything.

What I did find was that one of the requirements of the FRS/GMRS radios is that they do not nave a removable antenna. This is why you always see them with antennas permanently molded into the radio case.

-SF

7. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

FRS radios can not have detachable antennas. So the blister packs in the stores that are dual FRS/GMRS units can not have removable antennas by FCC rule. GMRS only radios can have detachable antennas and can use simplex/repeaters. To operate the radios requires a GMRS license. The blister pack GRMS side of the radio requires the same license but not for the FRS channels. The GMRS license can be shared with up to 4 family members. No testing is required for the license.

I use my ICOM to chat with a group of guys to and from work each day.

8. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Looking round, Icom and Uniden make what appear to be decent UHF CB radios (for cars). Not sure what people think of Icom, but Uniden have a good rep. Not much help, I know. There doesn't seem to be many Aussies here.

PS Guys, the laws are different in Australia.

9. Angus_Macgyver

In Australia uhf is the main cb used.

10. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Loaded Pockets

Oops, just realized the OP is in Australia. Disregard my previous post, it was based on U.S. regulations.

Thanks garza for the info. I hadn't thought about mobile GMRS only radios.

-SF

11. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Probably totally different rules in Australia. When you say UHF CB are you talking about what we cal FRS or GRMS, or some different set of frequencies altogether? The is a huge range of UHF frequencies, from 300 MHz to 3 GHz if I remember correctly. FRS and GRMS are in the low 400 MHz neighborhood, not far from the ham 70cm band I think.

I think probably only locals could really answer your question, and if the rules and/or frequencies are different you would probably have access to different hardware than in the states.

If allowed down there it might well be worth looking into programmable business or public safety radios, and they are usually both more rugged and more versatile. With most businesses and agencies using trunking systems and higher frequencies these days you can often find older but perfectly usable equipment dirt cheap online or at ham swap meets and such.

Oh, and ICOM is excellent. The top radios come from them and Yaesu (Vertex Standard is Yaesu, just for land mobile radios).

12. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Australian UHF CB channels are from 476.425 - 477.400 MHz (12.5KHz spacing). Some of those are reserved for data, and repeaters. I think they also have 27 MHz and GRMS.

13. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Looked it up too. Just a little above GRMS. There should be lots of options with commercial and public safety radios, depending on the laws down there. In the US it is only legal if the radio is GRMS type accepted, which as far as I know none are even though many are capable of those frequencies. A lot of folks still do it here, but it isn't legal.

Cool that they have that.