1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ugly thing about the Pilar (Now fixed?)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Appel, Feb 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Someone else that thinks the cutout for the tip down carry option on the Pilar is ugly? Is there someone doing a filler for that cutout? I can't find it. Maybe I have to do one myself. There are tons out there for the Hinderers.
    Any thoughts on this? Am I nitpicking here or are my feelings about this cutout legit?

[​IMG]

#1 Appel, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    echo victor and That Movie Guy like this.
  2. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

First off I don’t have one of these so I can only speak to the picture and others I have seen. But definitely agree with you. It may not be functionally any different but in a visual design way it’s ugly. I’m sure it also is another place for gunk to build up. I gave it a quick search also and didn’t see anyone selling anything nor did I see a mod of someone taking care of it themselves. With all that said it would probably bother me too. I can’t speak to you being not picky or not because I feel like I am that way a lot when it comes to stuff like this.

I can think of a few different things you could try though. One may be the use of a 3D printer to fill the space with printed press fit posts for the screw holes or the same thing with holes and then finding the appropriate screws to hold it in.
    Another option would be to make one out of something like styrene plastic. That’s a model making plastic if you aren’t familiar. It’s fairly easy to cut and shape comes in many different thicknesses and is fairly inexpensive. Oh and it’s very paintable as well. Attaching it will be the same as before with the holes and the sourcing of screws. Although you could try something like a single dot of superglue that should be fairly strong and also fairly reversible if you want to use it as a mounting point for the clip.
    Yet another that may work would be to try and purchase a second pocket clip and hardware and the cut it down / manipulate it to fill the gap that would be the proper thickness and come with screws.

Sorry that’s a pretty long response and I could probably keep going but I’ll stop there.

No matter what as long as you are careful with the pivot itself I say try some stuff out. It can be really rewarding to modify your gear and can really make it feel much more personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garza and Appel like this.
  3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I'd fill it with hot glue and carefully trim it flush. They make the stuff in colors including black.

keycutter and Appel like this.
  4. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much for the long reply. Appreciate it very much. Ok, so I have to learn to live with it or get a 3D-printer or learn how to machine a part by hand or just use glue. But I would like it to look pretty and I don't have the belief in myself to produce something pretty.
    I came up with yet another solution, but it is kind of awkward:

[​IMG]

#4 Appel, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  5. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

"kind of"?
    Why not modify the spare clip to make a plug?
    You already have the screws to fasten it in.

6. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the great suggestion. That is a good idea! It would have been nice though to countersink the holes and find fitting screws for that. Hmmm, I will start to think about this....

Adahn and kukla like this.
  7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Personally, I like the hot glue solution. Once you fill the void with the hot glue you can let it cool and then use an exacto / razor to trim off the excess. If you're good at trimming you could leave it just like that, or you might heat up the glue again (after it's been trimmed) and then use something flat to press it out smooth. Then maybe just a bit of final trimming and you should be good to go.

It's certainly a lot easier than coming up to speed on using a 3-D printer, because don't forget you have to model the piece...exactly...using design software, and then generate the code for the printer to output the design. If you're not familiar with these design and execution tools it might be a pretty steep learning curve just for a couple little pieces of plastic (and you're still going to have to use glue to attach them anyway).

Another option you might consider would be a couple small pieces of hand carved wood which are screwed together. That might even look pretty cool actually.

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Awkward??

I think "ghastly" might be a better descriptor!! :D

That Movie Guy and kukla like this.
  9. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

Reminds me of this:[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

Appel likes this.
  10. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Pass the eye bleach, please.

11. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

What do you think about this. Maybe worth a try?
    [​IMG]

That Movie Guy and Nick4305 like this.
  12. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Before I start destroying my Pilar I thought I should test out the epoxy stick first, just to see how/if it works.
    I glued a steel spacer to some wood just to get a cutout like thing to fill.
    Started to knead the epoxy paste.
    [​IMG]

Then I filled the hole in the spacer with the epoxy.
    [​IMG]

Looks fantastic, doesn't it?

That Movie Guy likes this.
  13. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

It was quite easy to sand the epoxy down. This is the result of aprox 5min grinding down to 1200grit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks alright, don't you think? Soon time to do the real thing...

14. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Now I'm passed the point of no return. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

That Movie Guy, Adahn and Nick4305 like this.
  15. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Well what can I say. It is getting uglier and uglier...
    [​IMG]

That Movie Guy, Adahn and Nick4305 like this.
  16. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Ahhh. Maybe, maybe there is hope
    [​IMG]

17. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

I must say it looks very promising. The finish of the lockside had to change from the rather dull original blasted finish to a crude handmade satin finish. Is the updated version prettier? I don't know, but it will be more personal and I will enjoy my Pilar more now IF (there is a big if here) I manage to assemble the knife again.

[​IMG]

18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Very nice. Even better with the copper colored epoxy.

Craft stores and hardware stores sell copper sheet. Fit a piece of card stock to the hole. Trace the card stock on the sheet, cut it out and then file to fit. Use silicone to secure it or drill holes in it and secure with screws.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Appel likes this.
  19. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

If it turns out that I will continue my quest to make Pilars less ugly I will absolutely try that.

20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I'm seeing a handmade knife accessory marketing opportunity!

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Appel likes this.