1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ugh.... I'm an idiot. I keep making the same mistake.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bleh, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I have some knives that I admire and keep pristine. I've got knives that are users. And then, at the bottom of the list, I've got abusers.

Of course, I don't believe in spending $600 on a tac folder, so I don't own any Hinderers or Striders. For folders, I rarely spend more than $100, and I don't think I've ever spent more than $150 (though I have some knives that have appreciated to more than that value over time). I might be willing to go a little more for a fixed blade (300 maybe).

Honestly I've got more knives that I will ever use so I don't mind having a few safe queens. If I need to, I can sell a few for some extra cash, or press them into duty as users. By keeping them in pristine condition I have the choice. If I used everything I had equally I'd have a lot less resale value.

I still get a lot of enjoyment from my "safe queen" knives, and plenty of work out of my EDC blades, so my strategy works just fine for my needs. With guns, however, I don't buy anything that I don't intend to use.

2. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

it doesn't decrease the enjoyement of having it....it decreases the point of having it. its a knife bud, cut some :censored: up with it. take a page from hatchet, throw it in your pocket with some keys and let it get scratched up, then you wont worry too much about it.

Gollum24601 likes this.
  3. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

My life user list

Boy Scout knife ;)

Various cheap gun show knives

That "semi custom" tanto blade everyone had (wasshisnames design, emerson) I had a black HK one tho

Benchmade Mel Pardue Auto

Microtech Mini Socoms (manuals & autos)

Chris Reeve Small Graphic Seb

Mayo TnT

:)

Each and every one was difficult to start using around the Microtech level, but I did ;) After 10yrs of every single day carry & frequent use, I know I can't really top the Mayo for a user pocket knife so I don't/haven't really had any interest in buying a new knife for carry (not counting cheap LM's)

Long story short, if you really like the sebenza go ahead & use it. It might just be your new life companion

(I was stupid for selling my sebenza, if I ever see that kinda rare-er design for sale again I might buy it!)

4. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

My wife calls the opposite view “using up the niceness”. Not waste but enjoyment

Blair likes this.
  5. JJK

JJK Loaded Pockets

My stuff is a means to an end, not and end to a means. Of the 30+ knives that I own only 2 of them are not users simply due to sentimental value. One is an Sak my father bought in Switzerland back 30 years ago that still has its factory edge still and the other is an all steel 2nd gen delica with factory edge that I bought in the nineties.
    Other than that I put all of them through the paces. I even Edc the best watch I own... A sharper image titanium Luminox navy seals...$800
    I feel that I should use good stuff especially if i have it as you can't take it with you.

6. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I have a Griptillian that is in the box in the drawer, I carry a Delica my wife and daughter got me for father's day last year. I have a Rolex I have never worn and a G-Shock I wear daily. If my wife hadn't bought the Delica I would be carrying my Griptillian. I will likely never own a Sebenza. For me it is like in the same vein as a $2000+ pistol. I would love to own one, but I would likely never buy one. I generally keep to one rule with regard to prices knives and guns: If I feel nauseated at the thought of one of them hitting the ground (scratches and dings, not safety issues), then I am likely outside of my spending comfort zone. Every knife or firearm I buy is a tool and I use them as such. If I can't use it then for me it is dead currency. Oh as for the Rolex it was my father's and my life is too rough to have to baby my watch.

7. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I got a Buck Strider off the board recently that paid a fair bit of money; I've already scratched the clip and blade, put a minor chip in the blade, and have got work filth encrusted into the scales. It's MINE!

Matt130 likes this.
  8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to kind of be like you. I didn't want to spend too much $ on items but I was always looking for the next best thing, but mostly the buying and selling/returning was a part of finding out what works and what doesn't work for you.

If I wanted to buy a new knife, then I will sell a current knife. I looked back in all of my buying and selling and realized I was ridiculous and spending way too much. Plus I'm naturally a minimalist so I don't like racking up on things, which I was doing. So I sold most of my things and focused solely on two carries. And these two carries I wanted semi quality to quality tools that will last me a long time. I now only have one work carry, and one non work carry. End of story.

9. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Use it! CRK has a great warranty service, so in 5 years when your Sebenza is all scratched to hell you can send it in to get a "spa treatment". The knife will come back looking brand new, but once you get to that point you may not want to send it in. It will lose all of its character when the scales are blasted and returned to "new".

Think of it this way, the wear you put on your Sebenza makes it unique, different from all of the other Sebenzas out there. Yes, the Sebenza is a beautiful knife, but it is a knife and it was meant to be used and function as a tool. Take some cool pictures of it, then go out and use it. Don't buy something with the thought of re-selling it later (unless you absolutely hate it or are using the money to upgrade your EDC rotation), you bought it, which means you liked it, so now use it.

I have a Strider SNG and I carry it with me almost every day. If it breaks, I will send it to Mick and get it patched up, but I don't worry about the scratches too much. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to abuse your knife, just carry it and if something needs to be cut, cut it.:)

10. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

No... I bought a $400 knife once when I was a teen. Saved up for a long time just to learn this lesson about thirty seconds after I took it out of the box. At least you got your money back. Mine ended up in my father's collection.

As I get older I keep getting narrower and narrower with what I'll buy. I don't just travel light, I live super light. Even my apartment has almost no furniture. It's like I'm the opposite of a hoarder. I don't buy nice things I won't carry, because then I'll have to put them somewhere while I'm not carrying them!

11. Tactical&Practical

Tactical&Practical Loaded Pockets

For a while I had similar thoughts, so I just got a decently priced, yet good quality knife (Kershaw Skyline) that I know I will be able to use and not feel bad or worry about something happening to it. Now I just try to go for a middle ground or something that's a good beater knife.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're right about the spa treatment ! Get her dirty, and they'll clean her right up!

13. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

You only live once. The first thing I do with a knife I know I really like is use the crap out of it, sharpen it and use it some more. I basically commit to the knife so I can't sell it for enough to bother selling it. All my sprints are users for this reason.

neutrontech and Southpaw like this.
  14. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

I almost do the same, except I buy cheap so that they aren't worth selling... :D

15. Exodus

Exodus Loaded Pockets

Consider yourself lucky ;) I live in the uk so everything is more expesive over here. Generally what you pay in $ we pay in £ and given the exchange rate its sometimes twice as much as you lot.

To me a knife is to use. I wont go out of my way to abuse a knife, thats stupid! but again I wont not use my knife to cut stuff if the need arises no matter which knife i have on me. I do use slighlty cheaper knives if I know im going to need to cut allot of stuff, beacause I wont feel bad if I break it or whatever. But it wont stop me carry my higher end knives if I felt like it on the day.
    I hope that all makes sense? Ha.

Oh, remember in this day'n'age you can send knives of to 'pimpers' to have it re-ferbished, especially Ti knives. All they need is a bead blast to bring them back to life. Blades are abit more dificult but not impossible. It may cost you abit but most people will consider the re-sale valuse to be higher after its been 'pimped' (I hate that :censored: word)

16. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the posts guys. I like making posts like this because your responses and comments help me more clearly form my thoughts.

Here's the thing. I think I'm in this dilemma at the moment because I haven't actually decided to keep the Sebenza yet. I was a little offput when I first received it because it was nearly impossible to open one handed. I've since (read: the day after I got it) disassembled it and got it opening nice and smooth.

I originally planned on getting the Seb and selling my Techno to keep funding the new stuff, particularly a friction folder since I've been curious about them for some time. Now that I have the Seb and feel how different it is to the Techno, I don't know if I can sell the Techno. I'm also not sure I see the 2x price difference in the 2 knives, so at this point, I'm still kind of babying it because I haven't decided that I like it enough to keep over $325 tied up in it.

I'm also considering having it stonewashed to get a little bit wear-friendlier finish on it.

These are all really good points. If I decide to keep it, of course I'll sharpen it, just as I've sharpened my other expensive-ish folders. As I stated above, but was not previously clear, I guess I just haven't decided to keep it for sure yet. I think one thing this CRK saga has taught me is that the Techno is a keeper! :p And to your last point, I don't really need an EDC knife. Everything I use a knife for could be easily done with my Leatherman blades. I keep a dedicated folder because they're more comfortable in the hand and easier to access than the Leatherman. I also like having one clean-ish knife that's food capable. knowing where my Wave has been, I'd never use it on food. ;) So it was never planned to be a hard use knife, just a little slicer that opens packaging, cuts cardboard, slices string and the like.

I suppose this is where I'm at now. I can't decide if I'm happy with the knife for the price. It's clearly a quality knife, made in the USA, but I'm having reservations. We'll see if I fall in love over the next week or two.

Fair enough... Give me time! :p

There was one watch that was expensive but I wore without thought, the Damasko. I think it spoiled me in that it's got an ice hardened case that barely showed wear. That may actually have been what started this craziness. When I sold the Damasko and "upgraded" to a slightly more expensive Sinn EZM3, I was traumatized when my daily wear started to scratch this nice watch. As soon as that started happening, I was thinking I'd sell it, and then I basically stopped wearing it because I didn't want to diminish it's value any further.

I think the Seb has sort of done the same thing since I didn't immediately fall in love right out of the box. I'll give it time though.

rsitter likes this.
  17. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I guess I made a different mistake with knives - when I first got into them I was amazed at the rich variety of styles and steels. Not knowing what I might like, I kept buying different ones to try them out and somewhat educate myself.

So now that I do know what I like I have about 6 or so that I like for different purposes and for some variety of carry. And now I have a ton of great knives that I will probably never use. I can see owning maybe 10 max, but I have more like 60. So I guess I need to get busy selling all of the others (probably at something of a loss) but that loss is the price of my education.

So there are many ways to go overboard spending with this 'hobby' of ours. Don't feel like you're the only one whose education has been expensive.

The good news about your Sebenza is that you can probably get most if not all of your money back out of it when you sell it. The same is probably not true for my less expensive knives.

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah what's worse, buying ten $50 knives and having variety but likely gravitating to one favorite one, or just spending the whole $500 on one knife and avoid having a bunch of unused knives in boxes?

I'm big on having versatility within a collection, so I try to buy knives that have distinct differences so I have a reason to use them all, but I could see myself using a knife like the Sabenza as an EDC. The only part that would really scare me is losing it or in the rare event having a police officer confiscate it. That would be like having all ten of your $50 knives on you at the same time and then losing them all.

That said, if I found a company/model that I liked well enough, and if that company would repare/replace any damage done to the knife throughout its lifetime (like broken blades, severely worn locks etc) then I could probably live with spending big money on one single knife and have the peace of mind knowing I can really lean on that knife and use it for what it was made for and not fear damaging it.

19. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

I have and have had plenty of expensive knives, I have never had a problem carrying around any of them. With my first hinderer the opposite was try I always felt like I should carry it even though I liked my Sebenza's a decent amount also. I have gotten over that with having other just as expensive knives. My hinderer did bite me when I took it apart to clean it and put it back together though. I was still able to sell it for what I had in it though and I have made out decent with most of my more expensive knives that way. Granted when I am home doing stuff I don't reach for a expensive knife I use one of my cheaper ones like my mini-commander or my mini-grip. I am not a afraid to use them at all but when I am home with a array of choices to pick from I am not going to beat on the more expensive one. My tag huerer watch has a decent amount of light scratches on it from wearing it everyday mostly for like 4 years.

20. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

Spend the extra bucks, get quality gear.

Quality gear, 95% of the time doesn't break.

Beat the $h1t out of the gear. Don't be afraid.