1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Two Way Radio EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Jwolf24, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwolf24

Jwolf24 Empty Pockets

I've been in the market for a two way radio. I was wondering if anyone has been EDCing a two way. Also any specific models you would recommend.

2. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

3. DisrupTer911

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

I use Cobra's when we go camping

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Icom if you are asking about ham radio.

5. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

Anything made by icom, yaesu, or Kenwood is reliable and full of feature. Be sure to buy an extra battery and an adapter to connect a better antenna.

6. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

I'm a ham and I have to say that for both ham's and other foks will be very happy with the new Wouxun radios. Reviews of them are every where now and lots of good things are said about them. I have fifteen of them that we use for work. I have FRS/GMRS, Ham, and other frequencies like PD, SO, FIRE/EMS, and NWS as scanner channels. Programming software is very easy and FREE!!!! You just need to get the cable. These radios are priced just right for us poor people. It has been said on many ham radio froums that Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood had better do something with there prices, because Wouxun is fast to be a top seller. These radios are plan and simple. For those that have no need for all the hi tech features that the others have, This is the radio for you. I like the KG-UVA1X. Just turn it on, put it on the channel you want and go. Hit one button and make it scan. Here's a link to where you can get them.

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/

7. jryan06

jryan06 Loaded Pockets

Wouxuns are well built...but the software is kind of vague. I have a K 689 and the software leaves something to be desired. I haven't been able to connect to any repeaters. The Yeasu radios like the FT-60 is much easier to program with the software

8. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

9. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Yaesu VX-6. Wish it was dual-band but very simple to open up for GMRS and such...

...not that I did that, if the FCC is listening...

10. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Yaesu VX7R for almost a year now. I love it. Especially now that I have it programed with all the local fire and rescue channels. I can bring in just about anything on it and get out on 4 bands, plus a few extra...(same as gw812)

11. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

While it may be handy to program other bands into an amateur radio transceiver, we do have a rule (#5) about illegal activities, please take note of that rule & comply.

12. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Maybe I should explain. I have the receive frequencies programed, not the transmit frequencies. So I am well within the rule of law as far as my Amateur license is required. Also, sorry about the triple post, not sure how that happened.

13. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of Binatone Actions 950s. They're sized and priced like cheap pocket walky-talkies, but have plenty of pro features. They don't have programmable frequencies, but use CH1-8 on 446 Mhz band. CCS and DCS sub-channels, you have over 900 channel combos to use. There's a full review and long discussion about them over here: Transmission 1

14. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

-begin defensive rant-
    I don't believe that there is any legal issue with changing the band edge settings for receive (what I was referring to anyway) other than adding in a cellular-blocked range and I didn't say that the OP should do it or should transmit on a frequency they are unlicensed to use, I said that it could be done. I would use the term 'freebanding' when referring to modifying a radio to transmit beyond what its type specification is for. Besides, per FCC rules in an emergency situation - the reason for 'preparedness', which your rule #5 mentions as a legitimate topic of discussion - one may use any device, mode, and frequency to attract attention to themselves. Wouldn't the mention of its possibility and reasoning be a topic of preparedness?

The FCC comment was purely for humor's sake.
    -end defensive rant-

To the OP - really, amateur radio is the way to go. You spend more for the equipment but if you buy a good model they tend to last for a LONG time and are designed to a much higher standard than a little FRS radio. Besides, you'll have the ability to use way more power and far more frequencies that what you would have otherwise.

15. Amafan

Amafan Loaded Pockets

Legally you can listen to any frequency in the US except a few cellular freqs that are blocked, with or w/o a license. There are no license requirements to own or program into memory a radio transmitter as long as the radio itself is used only for receive...except in an emergency when it is legal to transmit on any frequency to render or request aid, again with or without a license. A Ham VHF or UHF radio will be more expensive but since some of them are built to be used in emergency situations they will work when you need them.

The better ones are good broadcast (am and fm), airband and weather receivers. Some will even broadcast position data from built in GPS receivers. Hope this helps.

Another smug HAM op.

16. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

If you are referring to a particular practice then it should be stated as such in your post, as how it is currently written makes it appear that you have modified your radio to TX & RX on frequencies outside of the amateur radio bands.

How you write a post can vastly change the meaning behind it.

Also had you taken your questions to PC as per rule #6 I would have been more than happy to explain all of this to you.

But you decided to post a rant instead, so thread closed.

Last edited by Dr Jekell, Jul 21, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.