1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Two lights, which one should I choose.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by sitdwnandhngon, Oct 31, 2010.

1. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

Hey guys. I really want a pocket light and have narrowed it down to these two to choose from.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II/Detail

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-85/ITP-C7T-Tactical-Cree/Detail

I wanted it to run on regular alkaline AA's so it limited me a bit. But I am not sure about which I want now. The Romisen has an adjustable lens which is nice, but to the best of my knowledge it put out between 100 and 150 lumens on high. And looks a little bulkier, but will likely have longer battery life.

I really like the ramping output feature of the ITP but I am concerned about battery life. 190 lumens will likely eat a single AA is no time flat.

Which would you choose and why?

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

The Romisen digests most anything...almost any battery you have available will work.And I've owned a few Romisens.Only had one go dead.Decent lights for the $,IMO.
    But the iTP would be my choice.
    The infinitely variable adjustment is just that: adjustable!
    Both my iTP C9's are set to come on at midrange or thereabouts....easy up;easy down.
    190 lumens only means a voracious appetite if you only use the 190 lumen setting!
    Plus,the body fits the C8 & C9 head,I believe.
    Otherwise,you'll be saying: "Gee! I coulda hadda V8!"
    JMO,
    Gnarly

3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

There are no Romisens in my lumens arsenal, so I can't directly compare the two. I do have the Maratac 9290, which is an iTP C7T in a different color. The C7T is big and bulky for a 1xAA light, but it feels extremely well-built and seems like it would stand up to a lot of abuse. I got one for my mom, who is not any sort of flashaholic, and she got it right away. When I hand this light to people to borrow, they are immediately able to operate it and only a little instruction has them changing output like a pro. I keep mine in about the middle of the range, and battery life hasn't been a problem.

For a single AA pocket light, I'd get a Quark AA, or possibly a Quark Mini AA (I've given one of these as a gift). Between the two choices you're picking from, I like the iTP better for the reliability and durability I've seen in mine. I also like it better for running on a single cell. The 3xAAA form factor isn't one that I care for.

4. Gaffle

Gaffle Loaded Pockets

How about a Zebralight? SC51 will spit out 200lm (out the front) on a single Eneloop. A price of $64 is pretty nice.

I also like the Jetbeam RRT-0. A control ring to adjust brightness is pretty awesome. Price is a bit more than the SC51 when you include the AA extender, but with this light you have the option of CR123, RCR123, AA, NiMH AA, or a 14500. Very versatile.

Both of these lights are obviously not in your choices, but they cannot be beat. The price of the SC51 makes it very impressive. This light is the brightest light on a single AA NiMH right now.

5. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

An update guys.

I just recieved my ITP C7, and also a new romisen flood to throw, single AA.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-233/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-29-II/Detail

My intention was to give one to my father for Xmas, but man, I like them both alot. The throw on the Rominson is better than my spotlight, all from one little AA.

I think my dad will get the ITP just because he isn't the type of guy to keep batteries in his pocket, glove box, and daily bag (I'm a battery junkie).

So for him to be able to adjust the light will probably be more useful, plus it seems less likely to come on in a pocket than the romisen.

If they made the flood to throw AA version with adjustable output I would buy three of them.