1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Two is one and one is none

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Carcharodon carcharias, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I only keep spare writing utensils and notebooks in my other bags, my other stuff (lunch bag, 2 first aid kits) is in small bags and gets transferred when needed. I keep most of my edc stuff on me instead of having it riding in a bag, so that makes for less stuff to transfer. Also, I mostly stick to one bag except for when I need more gear and thus have to grab my larger bag.

As to carrying doubles of an item, I mostly do not. I already have one, why do I need another that is the exact same thing?

As to carrying multiples of the same type of item, I often do as some items in the same type are better at some things than others. For example, I often carry two 1xAAA flashlights. So, if I lose one, kill a battery, or more likely leave my main light at home by accident, I still have my spare on my keys. Another example is when I carry knives, I often carry one serrated blade and one plain edge. Also, one is generally smaller and one is larger. I often carry two writing implements, a mech pencil and a multi-pen. In all three cases, the two similar items compliment each other and work well to back each other up.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Water-Rat: I'm sorta like you. But I also differ perhaps in how I define certain things.

For example, I generally have a primary and a secondary (complementary) knife on me; one being PE and the other being SE. So I don't view them as duplicates. I always have a keychain light -- a NiteCore Tube lives on my keychain, as well as a Streamlight Microstream that lives in a slip case in my pocket. Actually have a couple more in my bag if it is with me -- one being in the FAK in the bag. They're different enough in performance that maybe they're not duplicates; but OTOH since they are all light sources maybe they are. Flip a coin. I also carry multiple writing implements, but as long as it is a mix of bp, mp, fp, I don't consider them duplicates.

This next isn't just responding to you. I have a thing about notebooks. Goes back years to when I first started carrying a pocket calendar/planner. I had read a book about time planning wherein the author STRONGLY recommended only having a single calendar, not separate calendars for home, work, social, etc etc. Just code the entries. Makes it much easier than trying to keep them in sync.

I extend the practice to a pocket notebook. I try to have a single one in which all manner of jottings can entered. Makes it a lot easier than shuffling between different notebooks. (And I am not limiting my definition on this to paper based. The same practice can be easily followed with a digital notebook, e.g. a phone based memo app...).

Works for me anyway.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I don’t double. I don’t buy into the 2 is 1, 1 is none approach. I don’t want to walk around with a Bat-Utility-Belt. That’s not to say I’m not a gear junkie. I have tons of EDC gear/junk in the drawer - just not in the pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been caught in dark nasty spots many times when my light went out and if I didn't accept this Mantra I would likely still be there!

2 IS 1 at times if you want to get home.

I would rather have and not need the spare than the other way around,especially considering how tiny a really useful tool can be.

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think that only applies to persons who don't depend on their feet and backs to transport their goods, lol.

kikaida likes this.
  6. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I don't double up unless I know I'm going off the beaten trail. realistically I'm either in my house (with full access to actual tools) or work. I keep a set of actual tools in the truck, too, along with lights, pocket knives, etc. so I'm not more than 200 yards from access to real, quality stuff almost ever.

when we're traveling or camping or whatever, obviously I'll bring more, but I don't have to worry about back ups of the real stuff is near by.

I also find that using higher quality, tested stuff is cheaper and more reliable in the long run. besides, IF the power goes out at work AND my flashlight is dead AND i'm not near a window I'll use my cell phone light to solve any of those other problems and then be good to go again.

If I was going into harms way either in the military or probably LEO my thoughts would be different. but I'm not. my dumb :censored: goes house--> office --> house --> sleep.

7. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

If two is one and one is none, we want to ensure we have a redundancy so next minute you have 3 knives on you...

8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a stainless steel pen about 3 years ago for the express purpose of using it as a defensive item. Obviously, it's great for signing papers too, and I love having my own pen. However, I now often pocket carry a telescopic Fisher Space Pen. Given that, I stopped thinking of my Kershaw Leek as a weapon of opportunity (although it is). I recently (as of Christmas morning) started carrying a Victorinox Super Tinker after relegating my nearly 30 year old SAK to a safe about five years ago. I'm loving the Super Tinker and really feel like I have little, if any, need for the Leek. Having said that, I play to continue to carry them both, but I sort of relish the idea of dropping the Leek from my true EDC load.

9. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I'm no longer on active duty and deploying to the field where getting a replacement is not possible. Because of this, I don't carry a backup of anything except maybe pens. Now if I have to travel, then yes, I may double up on a few items, but not for EDC.

10. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

The only thing i carry two of us a cell phone cord (usbc). Mostly because i almost always tend to put one in the box for me to use when i don't see the station for twelve hours.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

11. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Nope.

Dont carry much with me.
    Dont buy the :censored: of 'two is one, one is none' when youre just going to the coffee shop, mall etc

I have a couple things (not much) that goes in my pockets.
    My various bags each have a little notebook in them, some pens
    Sometimes I may have a different notebook with me, but its not that its a backup or anything, just that I jotted these notes down in this particular one cause it was close by.

I DO have duplicates of stuff...in a box. Came across deals on leathermans and picked it up, but I dont outfit all of my bags with a MT, light etc etc
    ...thats sily to me.

kikaida likes this.
  12. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

What is the likelihood of occurrence of a bad event and severity of consequence? Once you understand this you mitigate accordingly to manage the risk. In Australia the biggest combination of risks relate to being lost away from civilisation with insufficient water. I think for most people , not have a spare knife on their drive to Home Depot is not a justification for multiple redundancy...

Daveho likes this.
  13. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Indeed, one is none and two is one. Yesterday my edc bag was stolen out of my wife's car. It was a Condor light assault pack, completely full of useful gear. Two full pistol mags, a Tops Overlander I liked very much, a new Fiskars hatchet, an old Gerber ranger, battery backup, fak, Mechanix gloves, other assorted tools and seldom needed but capable devices. I do have a spare but with lesser quality components in an inferior backpack. It will take a while but the kit will get replaced, little by little. I think one of the things that upsets me the most, other than the low life who stole my stuff, is all the research and decisions that were made to get that bag just like I wanted it. It was a really good setup. Now I have to fret and spend that time and money all over again.

14. Moshe ben David

I'm glad I document what is in my bags. At least I could replicate without redoing the research.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

That's true for some of my stuff too but for some of it is old enough models have changed or are no longer in production. I forgot to add a SOG revolver and NightCore flashlight I cerakoted myself.

16. Moshe ben David

That would hold I'm sure for me also. But at least it gives me a starting point further along than just starting from scratch if I had to recreate a kit...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I decided that to build two different kits was worth it.
    I have my work bag, and my weekend bag.
    The work bag has a whole lot more stuff in it and has modules to make packing easier.
    The weekend bag is geared more for "exploring" (ie day trips, walks, grocery shopping, etc) so contains a different set of things.

Redundancy isn't a bad thing.
    For instance, I carry a knife in my pocket, but the multi-tool is in the pack.
    This gives me two knife blades.
    Yes, I could just carry the multi-tool, but I find it isn't as "pocketable" as my knife
    I carry a bigger flashlight in my pack (I've also clipped a micro light to see into the "dark corners" of the pack at night) to supplement the one in my pocket.
    That is there because sometimes I need more "throw" than what my pocket light would put out.

The "have and not need" mentality works as long as you realize that weight plays a factor.

18. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I have duplicates upon duplicates. But I worked in military surplus for several years and acquired a lot for pennies on the dollar. And I horse trade stuff with people i know locally.

Daveho likes this.
  19. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I mostly use pouches to move my EDC between work and personal bags. Only duplicates are things like pens and combs.

20. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I try to use pouches too;
    Maxpedition mini has
    A.leatherman rebar and micra
    B.fenix ld12
    D.a few AA batteries
    E. A bic lighter

Cheapie eBay copy of a maxpedition mini is my basic first aid pouch, meds, bandaids etc

My lockpicks have their own little sparrows case plus room for what ever lock has me beat at the time

And so on with my lunch for the day.,

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.