1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Two is one and one is none

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Carcharodon carcharias, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Carcharodon carcharias

Carcharodon carcharias Empty Pockets

Hey friends,

So today i found myself going out of my house without my EDC (besides my concealed carry), The reason for that is taking my backpack while all of my EDC was in another bag.
    That brought me to think about doubling every piece of equipment I carry.

My question is this - do you have a backup for for your EDC that you divide in to each bag you own? and if so, what items do you double?

2. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I used to be big in having doubles for stuff but really one quality set of items you actually use and dedicate yourself to having it with you and you are golden.

3. Carcharodon carcharias

No doubt about having quality items... The problem starts when you forget by mistake to take the bag with your EDC inside. the question being - do you double the same equipment you own?

4. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Nah, for me I keep my wallet and keys with my EDC so I can’t forget it.

5. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

I am in the same boat of @Daveho, I found that one set of quality items is plenty. I will carry some redundant tools (Such as pens in my backpack or a light in my toolbox) but not on my person. I found that if i start to carry more then what I actually use on nearly-daily basis I become lazy and start to leave them at home, defeating the purpose of the EDC.

huntnow likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really only consider as my EDC that which rides in my pockets or on my belt all the time.

I do have duplicates and similar items and will switch out items in pocket sometimes but the longer I do this the less I change too,I have zeroed in on what works for me by now and if it is not broke why fix it?

A few years ago I lost my Skinth with the belt carry stuff in it and I contacted Eric and found out he had discontinued that model but did have one left and I ordered it to rebuild my belt kit.
    Naturally I found the lost one the next week but I am thrilled to have the backup new one as well.

Now I do have a complete identical backup ready to go at anytime too.

So I do forget to load up sometimes,somehow and I feel pretty much not fully dressed until I get that fixed.

Crazy maybe and I blame the rest of you too!

Thanks

7. Carcharodon carcharias

I think you’ve missed my point. My question was about doubling each item that you do carry, and for example if you rotate between two bags, having two identical kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I switch between many bags, so for me to have complete kits for each would be a logistical nightmare, and expensive.
    I divided my kit into a few "pocket" organizers. What I'm doing or which bag I'm bringing dictates which organizers I bring along.
    It's basically like this: emergency kit, computer kit, non carry-on kit (knives, chemicals etc.), work kit and a generic- / everything else kit.
    Some items I only use for a certain activity / bag, so it just stays in the bag. E.g. bike tools are only in my bike pack.
    Should have provided a photo, but today is Light-and-fast-Tuesday, so just pocket carry today

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Carcharodon carcharias

So basically you keep the gear inside some sort of organizer and move it from bag to bag? What items do you have in more then one bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

Ahh my bad, I understand what you mean. Personally most of my EDC I carry on my person (pen, light, etc) but I do have spare sets of some cheaper stuff in my bags (such as tape, extra pens, notebooks, etc). Most of what I carry in my bags are consumables, so if I don't bring them it's not the end of the world. Plus I'm a student in London at the moment, so even if I wanted a spare set of gear I don't think I could afford it

11. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

No I do not. There came a time when I realized that I didn't need all of the crap filling bags and drawers that never got used. Nowadays I make sure not to leave home without my EDC. I do not carry bags anymore unless I'm going on a trip. I have some variety of items that I might switch out based on need or where I'll be. I've also made a point of visiting forums less which helped a great deal.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

RoadWizard, kikaida and EZDog like this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Funny how well that works?
    I have not snagged a knife since signing off of B.F.!

Same with CPF and lights!

All things in moderation,right?

Johnnyk likes this.
  13. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I switch between a few bags myself. Pens are just about the only items that live in EVERY bag. Most gear that doesn't go in my pockets will be in a Vanquest organizer. This creates a modular system. I have a few other organizers for specific purposes that I grab if needed for the current tasks.

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The things I move around is typically my computer kit (laptop, charger, cables, adapters, mouse etc.), generic edc kit (Power bank, cables, headphones etc) and emergency kit (light, sil-tape, pvc tape, bandage etc)

My work backpack is my most carried backpack. There are a few items in there, that stays there, e.g. pens, seatbelt cutter, "emergency" clothes, USB PSU and a redundant cable for my phone. Theres also some hygiene stuff and a little toolkit there.
    These are all things that I would rarely carry in any other pack, and also things that I want easy acccess to (not going through double layers of zippers and such).

15. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I considered this when I had a bag for work and another for personal time. In the end, rather than duplicating elements of my EDC, I found it easier to make my work bag my full-time EDC bag. I use an Osprey Quasar 28 and just take out my work laptop and any papers when I get home.

16. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

There are a number of things that I do have exact duplicates of. Some are in active use and the rest are spares. The reminder of my edc has similiar type backups, but sometimes not an exact duplicate. Fountain pens is one such example. My folders are another. Most of my similar type items are from the same brand. I love SOG knives.... For the most part, in my perspective, each one I own is comparable to the other. I have no qualms if one knife went to one kit and and another went to the other kit.

17. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

For most things I do not have duplicates. I do have duplicate first aid / booboo kits though because moving it from bag to bag became a huge inconvenience and often I forgot to move it. I now have one in my work bag, one in my fishing tackle bag, and one in my EDC bag.

18. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I duplicate a few items in each bag. Phone charge cable, 12 volt and 120 volt plugs, small first aid kit, flashlights, knife, multitool and a couple of gear ties and such. I have a big charging kit and other items that get swapped to whichever bag I am using. They are in a couple of organizers to make it easier to move around.

19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I do not duplicate my core EDC, i.e. I do not have multiple phones, wallets, wallet contents, Kershaw Leeks, etc.

In my "EDC bag" I do keep some extra cash and a spare credit card so that's duplication. I also have a small Esee Izula fixed blade knife and a Leatherman Juice S2. I also have all of my insurance and important life documents not only on an encrypted flash drive in my EDC bag but also in Google Drive.

I've got four other "kits" most of which have items dedicates specifically to them, i.e. knives, lights, multitools, chargers, etc.

However, the most important items (phone and wallet/contents) can't really be duplicated.

20. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it's unnecessary but I double on a knife, flashlight, battery (bank), lighter and medkits.

I try not to carry a lot of stuff.