1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Twist vs Click swich ?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Millman55, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It's a good light. But the iTP A3 EOS and its Maratac AAA twin cost about half as much, and come with better clips. The iTP version has a better keychain attachment than the Maratac. But the Maratac is better if tailstanding is something you'd prefer. Shipping charges on the Maratac version can be steep from County Comm (only place that sells the Maratac version). So unless you plan on ordering a variety of items from County Comm, best to go with a site like goinggear.com that sells the iTP version with much better shipping rates.

I'm currently carring a 4Sevens Preon model. I got the black, kit, version that includes both AAA and 2AAA bodies; along with the reverse-clickie switch and the seperate top to convert it into a twist only light. I put the twist top, for lack of a better term, on the 2AAA body. Works great! But you can also use it on the AAA body too. I might be wrong, but I believe that the AAA versions of the Preon are sold as twist lights, when sold seperatly without the 2AAA bodies.

Honestly, since the LD01 is basically a Fenix L0D but without strobe and S.O.S. modes, the iTP/Maratac lights are a much better value since they too only have medium, low, and high modes.

2. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

Clicky FTW.

I've spread cheapo LED clicky lights all through our house. If one dies I can use any of the five others. ;)

3. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Twisty may be more reliable long-term, but I must say when I spend $100 on a high-tech, multi-mode, programable, ultra-bright flashlight and have to unscrew the battery cover to turn it off, I feel kind of robbed.

4. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I prefer clickie and usually carry a clickie. But for backup (usually in backpack but sometimes on me) it's always a twistie. Since E1B came out all 2battery models are retired.
    But back in the day had Surefire G2 misfire once and Z2 twice. Surefire always took care of it, sending replacement switches. Been using Surefires for 10+ years and the E2's never wore out even once though they are the oldest and most used/carried compared to Z2 and G2. ???

5. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

BANG- Got myself an A3.
    What a cute little light ! Quite bright for a toothpick sized light :)

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have never had any issues with clicky switches. I very much prefer clickies over twisties.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I Really like the 2 stage Pushy/Twisty of the Surefire A2/L2 lights, probably my favorite UI for a light at the moment. along with the variable twisty on my T1A titan
    I have the Standard surefire Pushy/Twisty on my M3 and M4, and my 6P, and get along fine with them, the Clicky on my U2 is fine but does tend to latch on when bumped, flattening the batteries, and warming my pocket.
    The Novatac has a electronic latching, which i quite like, it has been my primary EDC for a few years now, and only once has it managed to switch itself on in my pocket.

To be perfectly honest, i dont care what kind of switch a light uses, providing i like the light. the novatacs switch suits it perfectly, and the A2/L2 tailcap just makes sense, the Titan has a "duh, why didnt i think of that" switch, that while being great, is no good for someone who needs maximum light, right now.

8. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I far prefer a tail clicky. No matter what a twisty just bugs me. My biggest issue is with the Fenix E01, the twisty is loose when off, which makes me worry about its waterproof seal. Though, I guess since it has gone through a snow blower and still works, I should stop stressing about that ;)

9. Groundhog66

Groundhog66 Loaded Pockets

I strongly prefer forward clickie over twisty, but as previously mentioned, twisty is probably more reliable in the long run.

10. xdivercrete

xdivercrete Empty Pockets

i believe that if you buy a quality product clicky or twisty 99% you will not ave problems.i prefer something with a clicky tail switch and twisty mode selection.believe that tail switch should be strictky on-off(half pressed momentary full pressed constant)because under stress you will end up changing modes.i like the UI on my NEX and D10!

11. eps5

eps5 Loaded Pockets

I like both. I think Surefire had a problem a few years back with their e-series clickies but they made improvements. With Surefire you just make a phone call and they send you a replacement. There are also forward clickies and reverse clickies, I prefer forward clickies so you can use them momentary.

12. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

Surefire clickie....but click on and then twist off if you prefer. they work both ways.

13. benlg

benlg Loaded Pockets

When only looking for something either is fine. But when I have my hands full working on something clickie feels more natural to use. My favorites are the Fenix LD10 and Nitecore D10, I like the feedback on the Fenix and the "silent mode use" and super low low on the Nitecore.

14. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

If you have to use both hands with a twisty, how will you fight off Z0mbies?!?!?! Gotta say clicky for survival reasons :)

15. seawolf69

seawolf69 Empty Pockets

I like both. I guess twist is safer cos it's less likely you'll turn it on accidently.

16. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

I have had many flashlights in the past. Both clicky and twist. I prefer clicky for the simple fact that on several of them the threads was destroyed by the constant turnung on and off. At least with a clicky you can replace the switch.
    Thanks