1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TU Keyring System...just got it,,seems good so far..(pics too)

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by marsos52, Dec 24, 2010.

1. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i got recieved a TU Keyring System.. its a light shackle.a split ring and 4 small clips..
    i put two car keys and the house key on it..with a tiny split ring to a small clip and then to the larger split ring.
    also on the small clip i put the car fob on it too..

the other 3 clips carry a guitar pick fob, a ti whistle and a tweezer

this downsizes alot from the ampflo key ring i been using forever..and if and when i need less, the keys unclip from the rest of the system and if i even want less bulk the car fob detaches too..so i can just carry the 3 keys in the shackle..

so, this is very good and it gives me plenty of carry possiblities...now, i just have to see if the screw doesnt unscrew from the shackle holding the keys together...been playing all afternoon with it and seems like its stable

this is not a expensive system ..way under $10.00..and that is always a good thing..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

now that i have used this new key system..it is better than i have every thought..i have since removed the large split ring. and im am just used the small little clips to attach everything together..getting and finding the key i need to use is not a problem..and the remaining keys are great to use as a grab them and help to turn the key in use..the screw pin that goes thru the keys in the shackle has not moved even a little..thing seem very secure..

and the clanging of keys is over..im impressed !!!!!!!

3. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Looks useful and and affordable way to buy hardware ! What's in your leather case ? Is it a Thumb Drive ? Thanks ,)

BE WELL .. GH

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That was my main concern with the system. I think I am going to try to introduce some sort of screw-based system for my keychains and I have been looking hard at the TU Keyring System. Thanks for your input.

I'm going to link this review thread in to my thread on key carry systems.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the small leather fob on my keychain is a "guitar pick holder"
    never leave home with out a flash light and a guitar pick you know

im glad to share any of my thoughts and feeling about gear i have used and am using,,the key carry situation has been a major pain
    for me the last couple years, with keys getting bigger and bigger and fobs and small needed tools etc and this is the best i have found at least for me..

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

When I saw these before the clips used looked very similar to the McGizmo clips, in real life how do they compare? Looking at the price you are saving quite a bit in buying one TU keyring set versus separate McG clips...

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have not used or seen the mcgizmo clips other than in pictures.. the clips on the TU so far are working great,,i tried several times to make them open from moving items against them and nothing happened..i have been carrying and using this key system for days and it is impressing me more and more..i keep re-aranging my items on the rings and now i have all the goodies on just 2 clips where as orginally i was using all 4 clips..i just want to slim the bulk as much as possible.. i believe its as slim as its will ever be..

i do think in the near future i wil get some mcgimzo's to try out ..

8. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I've been changing my key ring for over 18 months now. I keep going between single key carry to lanyard and clasp. Keeps changing because I have to go through a metal detector for work, then while in work the keys jingling get on my nerves after a while..Is this mail order only, or would it be carried at ACE hardware?

9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Using just a small stamped stainless shackle,bought from a sailing outfit.
    Posted it under "Good Finds" here awhile back,when they were on sale for $2.48 each.
    Holds 6 keys;haven't shortened or rounded them yet.
    Working well,so far.
    No camera.No pix.
    ~Gnarly

10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

cervantes as far as i know i have only seen true ulitity products on line..im sure that they are stores that carry tu products too
    i never have seen them at ace or home depot..

you can go to a marine supply and get a shackle, add some split rings and a few mcgimzo clips and your there.. but even with shipping charges the tu is cheaper. just getting the clips.. will cost as much or more than the tu system..

11. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

Are the holes in the clips big enough to fit 550 paracord?

12. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yes they are big enough,,just barely..

13. FlyingFish

FlyingFish Loaded Pockets

Hey marsos52, have you had any problems with the clips falling off or the shackle unscrewing now that you have used it for awhile. This is my biggest concern with clips and screw, I don't want to lose any gear. I've lost a swiss manager using an s-biner before and have stopped using clips and biners since. But I really want the TU keyring system.

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Solution to the question by FlyingFish:

Borrow your Lady's clear nail polish....one drop on the threads will prevent unthreading,even in off-road ignitions.
    But the thru-pin can still be removed by strong grip,or a multitool.

Poor Man's LocTite!

15. FlyingFish

FlyingFish Loaded Pockets

Hey Gnarly, I'm not sure what you mean by threads. Are you talkin about the spring part of the clips?

16. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Sorry...I meant the thru-bolt,on the shackles.
    I use the smallest stamped 316 stainless shackles from marinepartdepot.com.Each holds 5 keys.
    I learned that vibration & handling,over time,will cause the thru-bolt to fall out....the clear nail polish is a good fixative/cheap insurance!
    We first used that fix on base screws / scope mount screws,if we didn't have blue LocTite handy....it's a fair distance from here to town!

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't have any experience with the TU clips, but they look similar to McGizmo clips. McGizmo clips are certainly better than the S-Biner (which is notorious for dropping stuff), but they are not fail-proof. The failure usually occurs when the clip is twisted against the point to which it is attached. Some measures that I have seen suggested include bending the hook in slightly and putting the clip on a swivel.

18. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have not had any issues so far with the clips or with the pin that goes thru the key in the shackle...
    last week i did notice the keys slide apart just alittle easier that before,,so i put a screw turn to add a little more tension to the keys..
    i have been checking for that and so far so good..and i have not used locktight ir nail polish to lock the threads on the pin..

so im going good with the whole system, and i am happy with this key system,,

19. tasum

tasum Loaded Pockets

Thanks to the OP and all the info. I've ordered a few TU bits including the keyring.

I'll report back once it arrives.

Nice for once to have something made over here, rather than just drooling over all the cool stuff you guys get over there. :)

Just wish we still had our pistols :(

20. apurva

apurva Empty Pockets

Just ordered the TU Keyring system thanks to this thread and jag-engr's awesome thread! I am pretty sure I will use Loctite on the shackle threads, as the shackle will certainly not be as secure as having the keys directly on the split ring. Though the clear nailpolish idea is cool too and I didnt know it would work for locking threads. I usually mess things up with Loctite, so maybe the nailpolish would be a cleaner option. Now all I need is a bigger clip / carabiner on this for the belt / belt loop. The included clips feel too tiny to be used as the main suspension hook IMO