1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TSA Friendly Multi Tool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Benbrooks, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Benbrooks

Benbrooks Loaded Pockets

Looking for some help as I'm a carry on traveler only. Is the Leatherman Style PS the best option for a carry on TSA approved tool?

I've seen stories of the SAK Jetsetter being removed for looking too similar to a bladed knife. Any help would be appreciated!

2. James A. Cathcart

James A. Cathcart Loaded Pockets

I carry the Leatherman Style PS. I travel the U.S. extensively, (I'm in Orlando, FL tonight from Seattle) and have never had a problem. Here are two reasons why (and this should be the case regardless of which multi-tool you choose). First, always choose a tool with no blade at all, save small scissors, typically found on a SAK or the Leatherman Style PS. Second, when going through security, always remove the item in question from your pocket or carry-on, unfold all the tools and place it in the tray for them to clearly see. I can't tell you how many times I have had a TSA agent thank me for that. As I said, I've never had a single problem using this approach. Might you one day get stuck with a Spec Ops wannabe who's on a power-trip and have your multi-tool confiscated? Maybe, but my back-up plan is a small, padded, self-addressed, stamped envelope that I carry in my luggage that I can slip the Leatherman into and mail it back to myself right there in the airport. No agent gets a free Leatherman from me...ever. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Benbrooks

Benbrooks Loaded Pockets

Great advice. Thanks!

4. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I once forgot my Surge of all things and paid $13 to ship that home. No way they're getting that!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

James A. Cathcart likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@James A. Cathcart: the padded envelope is a strategy many profess to use. I've yet to be in an airport where I could find a mailbox quickly and easily close to the TSA screening and still get through in time to make my connection... You're a better man than I, I guess!

Happy Trails

Moshe ben David

6. James A. Cathcart

Indeed. I usually get to the airport with 2 hours to spare, and have TSA approved status, so I normally have plenty of time to step out of line and find the closest mail drop. Some airports have the mail drops right there at security for that very purpose, although, as I mentioned, I've never needed it yet.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

7. Moshe ben David

My goal is to be at any airport also with 2 hours. Too often on the road, often at a relatively remote site -- especially in winter! -- just doesn't happen.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have a knife less Leatherman Fuse for that exact purpose.

9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Back when lighters were still allowed, I had a cigar (torch) lighter that TSA was going to confiscate. I couldn't find a mail box, but there was a little gift shop, right near security, whose cashier said she would mail the padded envelope for me. The cashier actually told me they kept padded mailers at the register, just to help out people in that situation. At the time they charged $5 for envelope and shipping.

10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I also carry a LM Style PS (and a Brewzer) with air travel. I too open up all the tools and lay it in one of the small bowls totally separate from the big "pan" that all of our other things are laid in. This prevents my other items from being held up.

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

For those of you that keep an envelope on you, how much postage do have preaffixed?

12. outbackwack

I travel with a mini Bic and it's never been questioned. Also tools and scissors under 7". I keep the TSA printout with them. Screw them.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

You must be one of the fortunate ones. When trying to point out something is suppose to be allowed, I've been told the website is just a guide and it is "at the discretion of the specific TSA agent".

I've had issues when I had a prescribed self-inject kit with the prescription taped to the kit. I had to request a supervisor come over.
    before they would allow me to proceed.

I've also had them try telling me to get rid of a water flavor tablet tube because it looked like mace on the x-ray.

14. outbackwack

I'm TSA Pre-Check but not sure if that matters. They'll be expiring soon and then we're going to Global Entry. Well worth the $100 in my experience.

15. Moshe ben David

HA. I remember being at Raleigh-Durham International in the days when the TSA implementation was going on. (I was on that project...!) Any way, on my way to a different airport. In front of me a couple of senior citizens. Guy had a sterling silver lighter, apparently a gift from a grandchild. TSA would not allow it through, no matter what. He even vented it and they still wouldn't. No handy place to mail it. He ended up losing it... NOT a happy flier at all!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have a Leatherman knifeless Fuse, for just such an occasion.

17. James A. Cathcart

2.00 will get a small Leatherman PS anywhere in the 48 contiguous states.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  18. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

I have the SAK Jetsetter and place it in the tray. They usually open it after it goes through the x-ray machine, but never a longer holdup than that. I used to leave it in my bag and it was fine, but recently they've started to go fishing for it, which takes a while, so I now put it in the tray. The one bummer about the Jetsetter is the lack of nail file, but I found a good traveling nail file on Amazon that I now carry when I can't have mutual SAK.

19. jstert

jstert Loaded Pockets

and im sure that the grandfather owner of the lighter was a notorious terrorist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garza likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

LOL.

I've got a zillion stories of TSA antics; most regular flyers especially from that time period do.

Here's another...

Takes place in an airport in CA. Party of 3 (young mom, dad, baby in stroller) reach jetway for boarding. ONE of the three gets selected for secondary screening right at the jetway (remember secondary screening? oh what joy that brought!).

Here's the trick question: of the three which were chosen for the secondary screening?

What? No idea? Drumroll.... ONLY the baby in the stroller. I was behind them. Could not believe it. I mean, I could understand giving the stroller an extra bit of scrutiny. But not even checking the parents' carry on bags?

Algorithms and protocols run wild.

L'chaim and happy trails!

Moshe ben David