1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TSA-Compliant Full-Size Multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Mr. Glass, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Mr. Glass

Mr. Glass Loaded Pockets

Can anyone recommend a full-sized multitool that is TSA-compliant? I am now doing more frequent travel for work with carry-on only. I am using a Leatherman Style PS and a Victorinox Jetsetter at the moment.

I'm seeking something with a can opener and full-sized pliers. When I check a bag, I bring a Victorinox Classic SD, Leatherman Squirt PS4, and a Leatherman Charge TTI.

I am seeking combined capabilities similar to the above. Perhaps I should just get another Charge and remove the blades?

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
    Glass

2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I haven't seen a full-size, TSA-compliant, multi-tool anywhere. One thought: would a separate pair of pliers be a problem? Plenty of key-ring friendly bottle openers to cover that need.

3. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

There‘s a Leatherman Rebar knifeless version. Instead of the knife there are scissors, dont know what the TSA will say about that. I would have it bought too but here in GER its unreasonibly expensive: Normal Version 60€, knifeless 110€...
    Dont know why its that way, very dissapointing, Never needed the knife on a MT, just my EDC blade of choice...

peli1984 and Mr. Glass like this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

No idea. Just going to say, I wish Leatherman made the Skeletool CX with Juice-like scissors instead of the knife. Most multitool people carry a knife anyway, but this would be a relatively light travel dream. I've emailed LM about it.

Mr. Glass and joshwhoha like this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would try a Sidekick or Wingman and remove the blades before spending that kind of money on a tool that could be taken at the TSA checkpoint.
    I also really like the spring loaded pliers that both of those models have,they are not too bad for a MT and maybe the best I have tried there?
    I have been carrying a Wera "James Bond" driver set recently and the screwdriving capability is uncompromising unlike that of every MT that I have tried to date.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05051024001-Kraftform-Bitholding-Screwdriver/dp/B001HSNHM2

Couple that with real pliers and I have a true work horse set that is both minimal and bladeless for carry on.

I can not remember the last time I needed or used a bottle opener either but one should be easy to carry too.

Mr. Glass and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. Mr. Glass

Mr. Glass Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your replies. To clarify - I am seeking a can-opener, not a bottle-opener. I need something that can open cans of food that I pick up from a grocery store.

Ideally, I am also seeking a bit-driver with removable bits.

I was about to purchase this Gerber:
    https://www.gerbergear.com/Collections/MP600/MP600-Bladeless_30-000952

but it doesn't have interchangeable bits.

Has anyone removed the blade from a Leatherman before? Do I need to put washers in it's place?

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well hide my lunch and call me hungry!

I have not seen the bladeless version of these before but I give my full endorsement to the Gerber 600 Platform which I have used since they were introduced!
    So I pulled one out and tried the Leatherman it Adapter kit on it and it is a great fit for the one that I have.

The Leatherman Bit Kit is a $15 retail peice too and comes with the bit adapter and 2 cards full of flat bits,as you can see though standard 1/4" drive bits also work fine,single or double ended.

Who woulda thought?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Mr. Glass likes this.
  8. Mr. Glass

Mr. Glass Loaded Pockets

Very cool! This might solve for what I am seeking. Do you think that the Leatherman adapter kit will still work on this model?

https://www.gerbergear.com/Collections/MP600/MP600-Bladeless_30-000952

I see that there is a Phillips head screwdriver on it, but it does look a bit different than the one in your photo.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its tough to say for sure based just on the one picture of the philips driver and its not from a good angle either but the driver adapter has a square opening on the tool end so even if it is a 2-d driver on the tool(and it looks like it is?) it should still catch the adapter just fine if it is the same width as the older version that I have.

I don't know where you are but I bet if there is a store there with a Gerber that is similar they might also have the Leatherman adapter so that you can try it and know for sure?

So far I have used the Leatherman kit with Gerber,LT of course and the Swiss Tool Spirit X which is what I EDC. It works great with each of them!

I am determined to never fly again if I can help it but I am tempted to try one of these so that I a ready f I do!
    I also wonder if the Can Opener might seem like a weapon to some overzealous TSA person,it looks mean to me.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I also just realized that I have this Gerber Suspension tool that has a driver that looks a lot like that one and comes with a Bit Adapter as well.

Maybe you could order the Gerber tool and get this same adapter from them at the same time?
    It seems to hold single sided 1/4" bits.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Mr. Glass likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mr. Glass likes this.
  12. Mr. Glass

Mr. Glass Loaded Pockets

Great. I have started by ordering the 600 on Amazon and will see how I like it. I definitely want to pick up an adapter and some additional bits if I do. I plan to carry a prepaid USPS envelope in case I get threatened with TSA confiscation.

13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Images of the SwissTec tool being confiscated can be found on the TSA website. You have been lucky with your TSA screenings.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not exactly a Full Size or featured MT either?

Handy for some things but lacking for a lot of others.

15. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

It is not even the best keychain multi tool.

16. JuanelBoricua

JuanelBoricua Empty Pockets

EZDog, is it possible for you to measure your phillips' drive width? I'm searching for an alternative driver for a LM Rev, and it looks like it could work!

17. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

This thread is great as I have the exact need, now seems like the MT600 + 10 piece tool kit solves the problem. I do wish there is a leatherman version but oh well.

When you go thru TSA(Pre), do you leave the tool in your bag? One and only one time we tried it, the agent ended up wanting to look at the tool just to make sure (it was the gerber mini tool that my child was carrying).

Mr. Glass likes this.
  18. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I travel through Schiphol 2 or 3 times a month and have found that there is no consistency in what they spot/don't. However, I have noticed that new staff are more likely to highlight stuff for checking. When all four of my trays were sent for additional checks I said to the guy "that's a trainee isn't it", he looked over his shoulder and answered, with a smile, "I couldn't possibly comment". The extra checks were done very quickly.

Moshe ben David likes this.