1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Trying to decide what to get but have no experience.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by smopoim86, Nov 20, 2008.

1. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for a decent sized folder with a nice full handle. I've been looking at the Kershaw Offset and a few of the ZeroTolerance folders (200ST). I like the look of the Offset but don't know how well the lock works. Right now the best knife I have is a Gerber Fast assist with a combo blade. I like it, but what something that is more comfortable to use. Does anyone have any experience with the knives mentioned or have any better suggestions? I'm not wanting to spend more than around $160.

Daniel

2. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Do you live near any knife stores? Campling stores? Gun stores? Go and start handling knives to see what you like and what you don't like. $160 is a fantastic budget for someone with no expericence, you could realistically spend half that much and come up with a great knife. Only problem is, there are a whole lot of options out there and we can't make any recommendations without more info about what you're going to use the knife for. Check out the Knife Recommendation Checklist

3. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Holding and trying out knives is the best way to pick one.

4. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

Im sure you know what im gunna say (judging by my name) a Spyderco Military is a GREAT knife and if its to big its little brother the Paramilitary you WONT regret it :woohoo:

5. tndiver13

tndiver13 Loaded Pockets

I like the Buck/Strider knives, and they are a handful. However, as was stated earlier it really depends on what your going to do with the knife.

6. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Ok, I've put an x next to what I like, left the items i'm indifferent to and deleted the options I dislike. Hopefully this is enough to help answer my original question or lead me in a better direction. I generally like to do a ton of research on my own when looking for stuff, but figured I'd be better off asking some addicts for advice on knives. Every time I get into researching a topic I get addicted and buy WAYYY more than I originally was looking for, Right now i'm broke and don't need another hobby to clear my wallet.

Daniel

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this knife for?

EDC, also for camping and utility use.

2) What Region/Country/State will the knife be purchased in?
    [x] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
    [x] I am in ___USA____(country) and ___TN_______(state/providence). Live near Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Prices aren't great, but I'll go there to look.
    [ ] I am aware of the restrictions on knives for my region.

3) Price Range: Remember... the rest of these will heavily govern where this may fall!
    <$160

4) Style of Knife:
    [x] Folder - Manual
    [ ] Folder - Automatic
    [x] Folder - Assisted

5) Overall Length
    [ ] 4-6 Inches
    [x] 6-8 Inches ----- maybe a bit larger. Blade up to 4.5"

6) Blade Style
    Unsure. I like the blade style on the Offset

7) Blade Edge
    [x] Plain
    [x] Partial - <50% Serrated

8) Desirable Characteristics of Steel (Thanks to meeshi_ma for the help on this one!)
    [ ] Easy to sharpen
    [x] Good edge retention
    [x] Rust/corrosion resistant
    [ ] High Rockwell Rating

9) Blade Coating --- Doesn't matter so much to me

10) Handle Material
    [ ] Plastic
    [ ] Micarta
    [ ] Skeletonized/Metal (Titanium, Stainless, otherwise)
    [x] Rubber
    [x] G10

11) Intended Carry: Where will you put it?
    [ ] Belt --- Maybe in holster
    [x] Pocket ---- Clipped to edge in front jean pocket

12) Folder Style/Carry: Options specific to folder knife opening and carrying styles
    [ ] Thumbstud(s)
    [ ] Flipper
    [x] Pocket clip
    [x] Tip-up or down --- If a way to lock closed, tip up is fine. Otherwise, tip down

13) Folder Lock Method/Construction
    I like the lock on my current gerber. In use it is similar to the axis lock(i'm not sure how it is actually constructed). I really dont care for liner locks, but they are acceptable. I'd love to hear someone's opinion on the Kershaw stud lock

14) Sheath Material: What's going to hold it?
    [x] Nylon
    [x] None

15) Construction: What all is a part of this knife?
    [x] Knife alone

16) Production: How is this knife produced?
    [x] Production Knife

17) Weight (Mass)
    [ ] Light
    [x] Medium
    [ ] Heavy

18) Style of Knife
    [x] Military/Tactical

19) Other Comments - Note what else you need/want in this space:

I want a folder with the feel of a fixed blade. Mainly a nice full handle.

7. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

The ZT 200s and 300s fit that pretty well. If you have any questions about the Offset's lock, the people atKershaw's BF subforum would be more than happy to help. Kershaw has a strong fan base there.

8. Liberty1992

Liberty1992 Empty Pockets

Well i wouldnt really recommend any Kershaw in the Storm series , unless you want an auto assist, if so then i suggest a Leek. A Chive is another good Kershaw auto assist, but the Chive is super tiny, albeit razor sharp. For good Kershaw folders something like the Speed Bump, maybe a Centofante-Onion, or anything really with a bigger handle. Kershaw's thinner frame locks can hurt if you need to apply serious pressure, the frame/scales (whatever) can seriously dig into your hand. So i would suggest any Kershaw folder with a thicker looking handle.

9. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of Benchmade and Spyderco. The Military/Para is a great knife. I have the Endura and Delica and love them both. I also love the Benchmade Griptilian and MiniGrip. Axis lock :roof: I have no experience with ZT or Striders or the higher end stuff. You can get a great knife for under $100 easily. More $ for other toys.

10. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

You wouldn't go wrong with a ZT200 , no one has a bad word to say about them . They are quite large/heavy , bout 7 ozs . That may or may not be a deal breaker . The Spyderco Delica 4 and Endura 4 are superb value for money , they are the Glocks of the knife world . Benchmade has some very good offerings , cant go wrong with their quality or engineering . For a real world EDC , not for fighting Ninjas and Pirates , consider a Victorinox Swiss army knife . It's welcome almost everywhere , and very usefull for day to day chores .

Chris

11. 2xTap

2xTap Empty Pockets

I have both of these and will say they are both extremely stout, well built folders...................

[img width=640 height=426]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7920/zt0200005tw7.jpg[/img]

........with that said I will mention that for a carry and daily use piece the ZT 0200 would be better. The blade on the Offset is a combo grind, having both a hollow and flat grind. The edge of these meets at a sharp transition with a well defined recurve. This is not a easy blade to resharpen unless you have at hand the necessary equipment.......you can't just hit the edge with a stone on this one! Also, the Offset uses their "Stud-Lock" mechanism which works very well and locks the blade up tight but is very susceptible to fouling from pocket lint and debris. The Offset is a well made knife, and particularly the version I have which is from their limited First Production, but a much more showy piece.

The ZT 0200 on the other hand, while made just as well, is more designed as a user than the Offset. The ZT 0200 has a simpler blade design, and while slightly recurved is easier to maintain. It uses a beefy linerlock which locks up rock solid and is much less susceptible to fouling. And the ZT uses a 3/8" nutted pivot head for ease of adjustment in the field. They are both similar in size but the ZT is a bit slimmer overall, making it a bit easier in the pocket. I will also mention that the Offset is a Assisted-Opening folder where as the ZT0200 is a Manual-Opening piece. A/O's are neat, and at times useful but require greater attention in use.

They are both extrememly well built folders, but in all honesty the Offset is more show and the ZT 0200 is more GO! :thumbsup:

2xTap

12. KaBarred

KaBarred Empty Pockets

Lone wolf T2 (maybe a little pricey)
    benchmade 710
    Spyerco Military

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I've had a few Kershaws through my hands and the only one I kept is the Shallot. Nothing wrong with the build quality on any of 'em... just none really grabbed me like the Shallot. It's a great knife, very slim and slips easily into the pocket, and yet still a good handful when open. At $50 it's a good bargain and some days even beats the Sebenza out of my pocket for EDC. It's extremely easy to keep razor sharp and leaves you with $110 left to get a Spyderco Sharpmaker (which you will most likely want) and a Boker Subcom or Edit.

Another favorite of mine is the Spyderco Military. This one will make you change your mind about liner-locks -- very solid and strong, yet lightweight and slim. You will be surprised at how much knife fits into your pocket while weighing and feeling like nothing. The Paramilitary is another excellent choice with an even stronger lock, but somehow I like the Military more. I highly recommend either of them, though.

As for the Stud-lock, it is cool but I found it a little awkward to use when I was handling a friend's Offset. It is an otherwise great beefy knife to use but I wouldn't want to lug such a huge knife around all the time, just too bulky for me. Can't tell you how useful a blade shape like that would be, especially without knowing your usage needs, but I always come back to more traditional blades after trying out interesting new designs.

14. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

The ZT is a great knife and durable as can be. Its big and its comfortable to use, but I do think you need to find one to handle before deciding.

15. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Either knife will serve you well. Buy the one you know you will carry.

16. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies, especially 2xTap. That was exactly what i was looking for. I ended up putting off a large knife. I'll get one after going to the Knife Works and handling a few. I'll probably get the zt0200.

I ended up getting a Damascus Chive because I love the material. Here are some pics of it. I couldn't find any nice high res images of the Damascus series. http://smopoim86.smugmug.com/gallery/6704002_mTCrW#427978606_zWJsn

I'm gonna wait till school is paid for to get anything else.