1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Trunk Oganizer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by RockyNomad, Sep 29, 2009.

1. phorsaken1

phorsaken1 Loaded Pockets

Just to wanted to add that all the non vehicle related stuff like BOB and trauma kit are in backpacks so I don't have to take the tub. I even have a Camelbak in the pack so I don't have to tote the water jugs. I like this setup because I can still access the tire tools and still have room for groceries or whatever I need to haul. Also thanks for the props, gang.

2. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

3. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

+1 for a plastic milk crate. It can be lashed to the lashing points in many cars' trunk, and it keeps the items from rolling around. Easy to unclip and lift out.

I had a couple in the back of my 4WD back in Africa to hold the smaller items. Big items, such as large spade and two spares, had their own lashing points outside the vehicle. A large cooler was there too, and a huge FAK with everything. I could start a thread about vehicle safety and preparedness in hostile territory, but I'm sure there are many around already.

In urban environment it's also good to have an open container in the back of the car for groceries and other sensitive stuff. If you do off road, you must have a net on top of the container(s), of course.

Many modern cars have nice storage compartments all over the cabin. Unfortunately they are often too small for anything useful. No point in scattering your stuff in ten different tiny compartments. But the kids love them.

Some really heavy and seldom needed equipment can be stashed in the spare wheel compartment. That's where I keep my jump cables, tools, jack, tow line etc, so the only thing in the trunk is a small crate with first aid kit, small spade (folding Fiskars, really neat), snow brush and ice scraper, plus whatever I put in it for longer trips.

Oh and then there's about a ton of kids' toys, push chairs, baby seats etc. :)

4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Could you possibly post a pic of your FJ setup? I'm trying desparately to convince my better half that we need a new FJ Cruiser instead of a Saturn Outlook. Maybe if she sees how the trunk area storage looks, it will be one more reason to buy it! ;D

5. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

6. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

With Saturn being shutdown, perhaps that is incentive enough to go with the FJ?

7. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

FROM the JCWhitney link, I'd love to combine the cargo slide with the aluminum box for my Duty truck.

I don't remember the website now, but I did find a plastic SUV vault that bolted to the floor and had a drawer that came out. They started around $250, and you could also stack stuff on top.

I even debated looking for an unemployed cabinet maker and having a wooden one built.

My spare is supposed to mount underneath (Expedition) but the cable mechanism broke long before I bought the truck. So I was also looking for an option to stand the spare up in the cargo area, so that it didn't take up so much room.

8. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Cabelas has those slide out boxes

9. Cwlftmfw

Cwlftmfw Empty Pockets

Got a link to that?
    I use a simple shoulder bag to carry the "first responder" type items and then a simple tool case to carry the necessary tools that'll fit (without over-loading the cargo area of the SUV). I use rubber straps to anchor to the floor mounts for security. I tend to agree with having a bag for the stuff you want to be mobile with and then a small and simple as possible container for the others. If you get something extremely big to hold your gear you risk the chance of sacrificing carrying capability by having a large container in the back that can't be palced elsewhere with other passengers in the car. Sorry for the run-on sentance.

10. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

11. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I built a shelf for my 4runner. The side compartments hold various supplies in a relatively organized manner: bag of towstraps/winching gear, bag of electrical stuff, bag of compressor supplies, jumpstart battery, dog panniers, toolbag, etc. The BOB just gets thrown in there.

12. 3voices

3voices Loaded Pockets

seeing you drive an Xterra... here's how i have mine setup.

built a platform with storage underneath, plus a (Raingler) storage net up top:
    [​IMG]
    cut to fit storage containers:
    [​IMG]
    platform folds out to a 6' length for sleeping:
    [​IMG]
    folds back to allow the rear seats to be used:
    [​IMG]

13. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Ooooooh,me likes that roof net.

14. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

O0

Your Xterra setup reminds me of a platform I built for my previous pickup (with camper). Great for camping on the weekends. I had the platform sit on 2x4 rails so that I could pull it out, load up the front half and then push it back in and finish loading. Turned out to be a great way to pack stuff without having to crawl inside. I like your idea of hinges in the middle though, so maybe I'll build another one for the new pickup. See if I can't combine the two concepts.

15. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

Behind the seats of my nissan truck I have a bunch of plastic amo boxes with my things in them. If you like to do things with your nissan you should look into nissanoffroad.net I have been a member for 5 years and have found out countless things about my truck.

16. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I for one am certainly enjoying the photos here. Great to see awesome examples of making things work for you.

17. kakinuma-kun

kakinuma-kun Loaded Pockets

I would suggest you look at Mountainsmith's hauler system of gear organization.

You can see them on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Modular-Hauler-System-Storage/dp/B001RYUGW0) or also Campmor, Walmart. etc. Two-cube, three-cube, and four-cube units are available.

Mountainsmith makes super gear in general and all very tough. This hauler gear is modular, clear-top or mesh-top cubes can be swapped, can be lashed down and has tie downs, and feature d-rings for use with shoulder straps if need be.

Good luck.

18. Danger Gators

Danger Gators Empty Pockets

Depending on the carpetting in your trunk, Velcro works quite well. I used Industrial-Strength Velcro and it sticks quite well to the carpet in my trunk. It has a strong adhesive on the back so you can attach it to plastic bins to keep them from sliding around, attach or sew to bags to stick the to the wall, or put two pieces of the hook side back to back and use the "patch field" on your tactical bag to stick to the trunk.

I'm also going to take a look at Maxpedition's Hook-and-Loop PALS webbing insert or something similar (really want it in black) for adding MOLLE pouches to the side of the trunk.

EDIT: Pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

Danger Gators--brilliant use of hiding something in plain sight. I like it!

I'd love to have something similar to what the one bad-guy had in the movie "The Replacement Killers" with Mira Sorvino and Chow Yun Fat. He had an SUV where he had a hidden 'carpet kit' type deal with all of his weapons for sale in it. Sadly...the hydraulic slide-out kits are quite expensive. *sigh*

20. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

:shocked: can't believe i didn't find this post before! Been thinking about doing the hoop and loop field in the trunk of the car.
    Also here are a few other "on the back of the seat" alternatives on this link. If you do have football sized bags i say mount them on the wall and keep them out of the way.

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=35298.0

Oh, you could also go with some Thule bags in your trunk, thats what i have in mine, and it DEFINETLY helps the organization :)