1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Truck light???

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Grizlore, Oct 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

I use a Blackshadow Terminator. Wish they still made them...

2. Blackbear207

Blackbear207 Empty Pockets

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

18-Volt ONE+ Cordless Dual Power LED Spotlight (Tool Only) with 12-Volt Automotive Cord

https://www.homedepot.com/p/300234858

This thing is AWESOME. I keep one in my truck along with DC power cord, interchangeable batteries, AC/DC chargers, and several other Ryobi tools that use the same battery. I also have a couple Surefire Furies and a couple cheap LED headlamps.

3. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I think I missed what truck this is going in, do your 12v outlets turn off with the key?

All 3 of my GM plugs are on 24/7, never had anything drain the battery but it's always on my mind

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not only this but if the light is charging while truck is running then there ARE batteries to worry about.

5. gurdygurds

gurdygurds Loaded Pockets

Truck light I say Malkoff MDC 2AA. I wouldn’t pocket carry it but for a truck it’d be perfect. 3 lumen low so you don’t blind yourself in the cabin, 25 is a good medium and 250 or so on high to light stuff up. The head will run on cr123, single aa with spacer/tin foil whatever as well. Plus it’s built like a freakin’ truck itself.

6. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Constant power to all outlets. I run a dual battery system, so cranking power isn't an issue.

7. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

My Dakota has a key-on only power port in the dash but a second port in the arm rest is on full time.

8. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

Haven't needed a "Truck" light yet but in the past (Late 80's) I think the brand was/Is Brinkman? Q-Beam its a hand held 12Vdc spot light that throws a beam a long ways out. I still carry the one I got back then, in my trucks bed box. With todays LED technology in lighting my Q-beam is definitely "Old school" Honestly I surprised it still works! the bulb is a filament style (Not replaceable bulb) but still goin strong! My dad turned me on the Q-beam's way back when, when we used go "Froggin" down some tiny slew outside of Sacramento CA. We'd take turns lighting the bank and shooting (Bow fishing for them) and a Q-beam was the choice hand-held spot light to have then. He had 2 (Front and back of his boat then)

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have to wonder if there might be a source down in Louisiana ... maybe they're still in use 'down in the bayou'? Or maybe in the Florida Everglades? ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

I’ve been looking for the same. Already have a Zebralight Headlamp stashed in the tool box that gets lots of use. I’m planning on getting a Malkoff Hounddog XM-L under the seat with an extra batteries in the glove compartment. The Malkoff’s offer extreme durability that I want in a truck light and are US made in an excellent family business.

Can’t imagine a scenario where one wouldn’t be well served with that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I’ve been thinking about getting a GoLight for my truck. I’ve seen a lot of utility trucks with these mounted on the roof (I think you can get them in a permanent mount or a magnetic mount). Basically a spot light with a remote you can use to direct the light without having to physically touch the light. Not cheap but I e heard good things about them. Until recently my truck lights were 3D cell LED Maglites. Thinking of changing to a rechargeable that I can leave in the vehicle, but I want something that can use a non-rechargeable battery in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Because there are so many makers of lights, it’s probably more important to consider your battery source, particularly if you experience cold temperatures. Use something that takes a primary lithium battery which will last years and perform well in the cold. Speaking from Canada.

That Movie Guy and Outbound like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My main car light is a 3x C cell Maglite. And it throws a quite useful beam (for reading addresses etc.). And I keep headlamps etc in the car. But I digress...

I agree with you on how useful a permanently mounted light that you can aim can be. But if it were something I was doing to mod my car, I'd go the route the police and others (some taxi cabs for instance): spot lights with a handle inside the car that can be used for aiming; tied into the vehicle electrical system. These have the merit of having been around and in use for a LONG time.. Seems to me having a remote just adds a level of complexity that may not be necessary.

Just MNSHO! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I'm old school, and like Moshe my door panel light is a 2 D LED Maglight with adjustable beam.... a cheap 3 AAA Energizer LED headlamp for routine inspection work, and a SureFire 6P with Malkoff module is in my trauma/extra ammo sling bag

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My retire my 3x C Cell soon, it is the last of 'C' in the house. Even with a no name LED bulb, it is lacking to my other lites.

16. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Many of my.lights are modified lights, so they can be small and pack quite a punch, or be moon light or anywhere in between.

Anything as long as its reliable is what I would consider, and have 2.

17. lugueto

lugueto Empty Pockets

I've tried various lights for my truck and, call me old fashioned, Maglites always come out on top.

Why? Its simple, they're cheap, hefty and batteries seem to last forever in them. They can be used as a freaking baseball bat in case you need it to break glass, hammer something or even defend yourself. The latest LED ones are adequatly powerful for what you need a vehicle light to do.

I always carry other lights on me and the car has aux lights outside, in the engine bay, etc. But the only one that's actually in the car 100% of the time is the Maglite.

I'm surprised someone even recommended a Qbeam, hadn't seen one in years, I still have a few old ones at home. Good for night hunting, not much else IMO.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

Back when I was an avid 4x4er in my 82' CJ5 we called those under carriage lights "Rock light" My jeep had 2 installed under the doors. I've seen them installed up under the fenders to light up the wheel wells. My current truck, I have 2 (Tractor 12vdc incandescents) bulbs mounted under my front doors, (LED bulbs were not available in 2002) like they are today.

19. wheelsoffreedom76

wheelsoffreedom76 Loaded Pockets

In my truck I have Nebo big Larry and lil Larry, HF quantum version of big Larry, and a couple energizer hardcase work lights.