1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Truck gun suggestions needed (long gun edition)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by steviesterno, Jul 15, 2016.

1. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]4595TSFG by ?, on Flickr

High Point Carbine.
    About 37" overall.
    .380, 9mm,.40,.45.
    Ghost Ring sights.
    About $350.

2. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

If you are ok turning a bolt, take a look at the Ruger American Rifles, they have a large amount of calibers and barrel choices. The Ruger Americian Ranch Rifle is a shorter barrel option that would make a good "Truck gun". It is available in 5.56 and .300 ACC/blackout. Has a 16.5 inch barrel that is threaded. Has a 5 round rotary box removeable magazine for under $450.00 last time I checked.

charlie fox likes this.
  3. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

Can you keep a loaded firearm (a long gun) loaded in your vehicle while underway? If you can't legally and you have no way of securing (locked and out of sight) if the vehicle is unattended, what's the point?

jstert likes this.
  4. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I like it and will have to do some research on reliability and barrel distortion once it heats up.

baccar-3 likes this.
  5. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

that answer depends on where you live. Here in Texas, the answer is a resounding Hell Yeah!

NelsonIII likes this.
  6. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I have a Hipoint 995 carbine and it is a great gun. I call it the ugly stick, but it has went bang every single trigger pull for about 500 rounds. It's not a particularly compact gun either, but it's less than $300, so I wouldn't feel bad about keeping it in a vehicle. A sub 2k is a great option, but way too hard to find (at least in my neck of the woods).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

NelsonIII likes this.
  7. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

8. Jessie Carter

I added the DW Valor for size reference, but it does exist and fits a role that stays within my states ever increasing gun laws. You cannot have a loaded rifle in your vehicle under any circumstance. However, a loaded pistol is allowed. You can't conceal a rifle under any circumstance, however, if you have a concealed carry permit... When I camp these days, I am typically by myself in a National Forest where four legged predators live and two legged predators visit.

I didn't think I would like 300 BO as much as I do and I thought it would be more difficult to find on retail shelves than it actually is.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  9. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

Jesse that's a really clean looking build, I like it. Any idea of the overall length? I miss my Valor, was a great 1911 and hard to beat at the price.

I'm actually reading up on the 300 BO forum now. I had one, but never actually shot it. was too busy, but I'm seeing a lot of cool stuff about what it can do ballistically. Eventually I may switch the HD to 300 BO as well. It's tough because I love the idea that any ammo and any mag fits in any of my rifles, and right now that option is in 223.

10. Jessie Carter

Just under 25.25" and the KX5 muzzle device directs the blast forward making it more pleasant to fire. It is said that the KX5 also creates additional back pressure, which aids in reliably cycling subsonic ammo. I haven't fired any subsonic ammo through it yet. And thanks steviesterno, the DW was a deal I could not pass up. It is among the most accurate pistols I have ever owned.

11. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

I run a 7.5" barrel and shockwave brace on my AR pistol. Keep in mind, that with barrel lengths below 10- 11", you can have a lot of unburned powder leaving the muzzle. Definitely need to make sure the muzzle is outside the cab.
    [​IMG]

MCPOWoller likes this.
  12. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

Keltec Sub 2000 is the way to go IMO. A full size AR in the truck is a little much to me, hell an AR of any size is to much IMO. I'd go with a CZ Scorpion Pistol, or the Sub 2000.

13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

First time I ever saw any 300 BO ammo was at Walmart. Not even the half dozen "tactical" stores near me sold it. I even work on an Army base with SF guys all around....

Jessie Carter likes this.
  14. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Loaded Pockets

Mine is the mentioned Kel Tec Sub2k Gen 2 glock 19 variant. One of my carry guns is a 19 so it makes sense. Plus the increased velocity of a 16 inch barrel get's the 9mm up to .357 velocities. 33 round happy stick's don't hurt either. Plus it folds into a small sling bag which can easily be transported. Hard to beat. I have a CZ Scorpion that filled that for a while but it's only a 7.5 inch barrel. My KSG has been under consideration for this role as well.

Gary Gross likes this.
  15. Jessie Carter

Walmart, Gander Mountain, Cabelas all sell it here in Colorado.

16. socalsecurity

socalsecurity Loaded Pockets

Just a 18" Remington 870 Security with 5+1. Unloaded and bolted down under the back seat. Will handle 4 legged and 2 legged problems just fine. If I'm out in the woods I always have my Ruger American 30-06 as well and normally an assortment of other rifles. The only woods I go to is Grandpa's 100,000 acre ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  17. Tokyodrftr

Tokyodrftr Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

You can build these for around $325

Fits in a small ukulele gig bag

[​IMG]

"People say I'm paranoid because I carry a gun...............I'm not paranoid..............................I carry a gun"

18. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

19. Tokyodrftr

Tokyodrftr Loaded Pockets

I have built quite a few of these. Actually my edc on my ccw.

I use 80 lower, lower small parts kit, 7.5" barrel and pistol gas tube, pistol buffer and std upper.

Mine is 5.56 but I hear the blackout is the way to go. Simply blackout ammo is more difficult for me to get and I don't suppress. But I do use a krinkov brake. Not so much to help cycling but to the direct the fireball and sound forward. It is loud. My front hand is right next to the muzzle.

"People say I'm paranoid because I carry a gun...............I'm not paranoid..............................I carry a gun"

[​IMG]

20. B in NY

B in NY Loaded Pockets

I keep a Mossey 500 flex in my ride (590a1 at home). I keep a long gun in the truck just in case things go south and I can't make it home right away. It's not ready to go but it can be quickly. It's easy to store and I can put it together in seconds. It's more rugged than I thought it would be. I always have a Sig on my belt ready for immediate use.