1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

trouble with 18650

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by flnder, Oct 31, 2011.

1. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I have Ultrafire AW 18650 batteries,2600mah . I have trouble getting the charger to charge sometimes. I was wondering if the recessed postive end is what's giving me trouble. Anybody else had problems or fixes for this problem?

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Which charger do you have?

Honestly though, most likely it's the cells. Ultrafire cells are notorious for being unpredictable. Some work just fine, some refuse to hold a charge once charged up, some will charge up just fine once or twice and then refuse to ever charge up again, some won't charge up at all even when new, some . . . Well, you get the idea. It might be an issue with your charger, but 9 times out of 10 it's going to be the Ultrafire cells that are the issue.

Best 18650 and similar types of rechargeable cells out there are AW brand. Yes, they cost more. But these are high quality cells that have a bullet-proof reputation for reliable. Well worth the cost.

3. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

It is the Ultrafire fast charger that came with the batteries. It is happily recharging two newer 2900 mAh batteries as I type

4. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

They are AW

Thanks in advance

5. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

If you wind up finding charger at fault the Pila IBC is well worth it's $45 cost IMHO.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have that charger as well. Ultrafire is the only brand whose charger and cells sometimes don't work together. I keep that charger around simply as a back-up to my excellent PILA IBC model. First time I used the Ultrafire charger was with a couple of Ultrafire 18650s. Yup, they refused to charge up. At first I thought it was the charger. Then I tossed a couple of AW 18650s, and it was working perfectly fine.

7. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've had some Angelfire RCR123 as well as Angelfire 18650 batteries for a little while.. I have to say they aren't bad... I've not had one explode yet. :) I recently switched to AW LiCO batteries and am VERY happy with these. (In fact, I'm considering selling off the Angelfire entirely) There are little things I look at on these cells that determine my preference, I noticed that the AW batteries have a much better construction in whole. The - side has small raised points to ensure better connections and the + side has a wider top and large vent holes. I feel VERY comfortable with these batteries in my light on my belt.

I've not tried the PILA IBC charger yet, they are 4x the cost of the charger I've been using, I'd love to hear from people here as to why the PILA charger is so much better.

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

It isn't unusual to need to use small magnets or other small metal discs to make good contact when charging some cells that have flush or slightly recessed ends.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It is the only charger of such cells that meets all safety standards for use. There are many others out there. All of them fall short in some way, shape, or form. And by quite a bit. There isn't even a 2nd best charger out there. It's not like other products. You don't own a Mercedes-Benz? You can still get a great deal of respect by buying a Lexus. You don't own a Rolex? You can still get plenty of respect by owning an Omega. Ah, no! Not with chargers.

There's the PILA IBC at the top of the top. King of the Mountain. And then there's everything else pilled up in a heap at the base of that mountain. There honestly isn't even a 2nd best. The PILA is a smart charger that is worth the price. It won't trickle charge if you accidentally leave the cells on it overnight, no chance of it burning your house down, and it's so well-built that if your cells don't perform properly; you know you need to replace the cells. Not even a question of "Maybe it's the charger?" None at all.

10. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

You Sir, make one VERY good argument for me spending more money :)

11. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I own the 4sevens single bay charger, which also has some features which make the Pila desirable, for example, it has a smart cc/CV circuit. IMO, it is a good second choice. Ymmv.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Happy to help you . . . spend your money >:D

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Main problem, too new. No track record, unlike the PILA IBC.

Also, the ReVo was discontinued because David had issues with certain suppliers. He didn't go into detail, but it didn't sound as though it was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding. We'll see if that charger stands the test of time. Hopefully it won't go the way of David's excellent ReVo.

14. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Did a lot charger asking questions in here a couple years ago. Ponied up and got the Pila even though on paper it looked "expensive". Long story short, it works and has never let me down in the slightest way. Charges my 123's, 14500's, 17670's, and 18650's to perfection. If I had bought a less costly charger there is a strong possibility I would have bought another one by now. In this scenario I would have certainly spent more money ;~)