1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tritium Key Holder Fob & Wallet(s)- Compact Design - More Added

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Dafabricata, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

I'll continue to update this thread with more pics, as projects are progressing/completed.

Big, bulky, noisy, cumbersome keys have always annoyed me. About 4 years ago, I started cutting down my keys and trying various methods to keep them compact, silent, and organized. Screwing them together, adding different colored trits to slots in the keys, adding blades, pry-bars, all sorts of fun stuff. A big bonus of actually trying it was finding what worked, and what could be improved.
    I notice a lot of people with giant keychains with all sorts of useful stuff and can understand having that all on hand, tossing it in a coat pocket and doing your thing. I carry my backpack ALMOST everywhere, so I am able to keep all these useful items in my pack instead. Only things in my pants are wallet, money, keys, knife, light, and pistol. Everything else is nicely organized in the pack.

It seems the older you get the more keys end up in your life. A few months ago I made a brass key holder like this but smaller and with less keys. It was heavy and I uglied it up trying to engrave it. It was also annoying having to open my backpack to get my toolbox keys daily since there was no room for them on the smaller brass one.
    This was the testbed for what will eventually be titanium. Made from 1/2" aluminum and able to hold my 10 most used keys in a compact silent, package with organization and a 3 X 20mm green tritium vial for easy location in the dark.
    So far I'm really enjoying it. The threaded hole for the tritium is also the location for a removable lanyard attachment point and once screwed in, the screw securing the keys locks it into place. The tritium vial sits pretty deep and is well guarded with rubber pads on either end and locked into place with small set screw. No norland for now since I want to put this trits in a titanium body eventually.
    In my mind, I thought having it black with the slots left bare would look cool, but I actually like it better bare. Bare titanium would be perfect. This and the wallet below will be cerakoted to hold me over until they can be made in titanium.
    Best part is, it looks like a nice EDC match for my Spy 007T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADDED 2/16/12: Matching Tritium Wallet

The idea of making a wallet has been on my mind for a few years now. A few weeks back the wallet that I EDCed for 3-4 years finally broke beyond fixing. It was an aluminum card holder that I covered with carbon fiber and set a 2 X10 green trit vial into the clasp. Loved it! Small, lighweight, and just looked cool IMO.

[​IMG]

The 2nd or 3rd gen. Ipod always felt so nice in my hand and I always had hoped to find or make a wallet about the same size. Ironically, it was only after I had the completed drawing sitting in front of me that I grabbed the ipod and realized it was the exact same size length and width, and only about 1/4" thicker! ;D
    The hinge point and clearances are the only thing I'd change...so far. I plan to drill a small hole in the hinge area with a second larger diameter hole stopping just short of going all the way through. A steal ball bearing will be inserted followed by a spring and a set screw. With a small detent milled into the lower, it will keep the lid in a securely closed by way of the ball detent ....thats the plan anyway..:laugh:
    A green 11mm tritium sphere is set into the corner and exposed with 2 slots, making sure to keep the aluminum thick enough to protect against accidental drops. Its pretty darn bright in a dark room with night adapted eyes...bright enough to read with!
    After a bit more refining and finish sanding, I'll be sending it out to be cerakoted along with the key holder. A durable finish will help hold me over until a titanium version of each is made...someday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

low_down, Cornholio2188 and Mammoth like this.
  2. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

sounds cool. let's see a pic.

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Wow, Defabricata, that's awesome!

I have added your project to my compilation thread that I have linked in my signautre line.

Keep up the great work!

4. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

Wow! looks great!!

5. Dafabricata

Thanks a bunch guys!

jag-engr, since I have no reason to remove the keys, I never thought of ease of removal.
    After having this thing apart so often, I've actually found just how easy it is to swap keys around.
    Simply lay it on its back, unscrew the key retaining bolt as far as needed and remove, swap, or replace keys as needed.

Removed the black paint...it looks much better bare.
    I'll EDC this one for a while, decide if theres anything to improve on and eventually make a Ti version.
    The keys are easy to flip out and use one handed with some practice.

EDIT: just got home from a trip into town. Had my left arm full of stuff and had thick leather winter gloves on and was easily able to pull the key fob from my rear pocket, find the correct key and open the door.

[​IMG]

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Want!!! :)

KnoxButler likes this.
  7. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

That is awesome! I bet the big trit makes it easy to find!

8. downsouth

downsouth Loaded Pockets

Wow, awesome idea. Love the design!

9. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

That's just flat out SWEET.

10. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

Wow, that thing is awesome. Could you snap a pic. of it in the dark so that we could really see the tritium do its thing? Please.

11. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Really good idea and cool execution; can't wait to see one in titanium! :D

12. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Pretty darn cool, for sure.

13. Dafabricata

Thanks guys!

Yes, the large trits make them extremely easy to find in the dark.

Made a wallet to match with an 11mm trit sphere in the corner. It's the same size as my old Ipod (2nd or 3rd gen?) only thicker. The 11mm trit sphere in the wallet can actully be used as a low light light source with dark adaped eyes.
    A small bit of refining and finish sanding, then its off to be cerakoted along with the key fob. Figure the cerakote will hold me over until I can do these both in titanium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Loaded Pockets

Looking good. Can't wait to see them are cerakoted up.

Have an approx. weight for the two together?

15. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Wow! Could we see how the wallet works?

16. PerfectZebra
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

+1!

17. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

:censored:, nice work sir! :)

18. Dafabricata

Sorry, I dont have a scale, but they are pretty light.
    It could have been lighter if I made the walls thinner, but I decided to keep it thicker in case I wanted to add more trit vials.

Sure! I finished the ball detent today, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped...but it does work.
    Might add a tiny neodimium magnet to the front edge , and mill a pocket into the lid and JB weld a strip of metal in to help secure the front better....unsure how to proceed for the desired result.
    It closes with a nice, tight finish, but I'd like more resistance to have to open it.

[​IMG]

19. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Liking the look of that a lot. How does the hinge work? Is it an integral part of the lid or a bolt on hinge?

Really liking the idea of a small magnet to keep it closed.

20. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Man, nice work!!

About how many cards and how much cash are you able to keep in the wallet?

Btw, is that some kind of crazy turbo head on your Spy??