1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Trit glow fob

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by niagaratac, Feb 25, 2011.

1. niagaratac

niagaratac Loaded Pockets

I would like to buy a few trit glow fobs similar to the one out of stock here but not GITD with trits.

Is there any reasonable pre assembled places that sell TEC-A3 Glow Fob "like" things with trits in them?

I want one small enough to be on my backpack, BOB, jacket, keychain etc.

Thx

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I highly doubt you will find a Trit capable fob of the same quality for less .
    I recommend you wait till the store restocks ,)

BE WELL .. GH

3. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Jon should be receiving a shipment of the stainless fobs today. I'm not sure when he will get around to updating the store as the next batch of forum knives are due in today ;D

4. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I hate to be cutting into Jon's gear, but trying to speak unbiasedly I've been looking at a trit fob from veleno designs. I ordered a drop-in from them, & the trit looks to be a winner too... The TEC-A3 been tempting me too (Jon/TECENG are great people to deal with), so you'll have to decide.

http://www.velenodesigns.com/html/tritium_pendant.html

5. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

niagaratac,

;D

'Reasonable' and 'Trit' can never be used in the same sentence.That's like pairing 'affordable' with 'Titanium'.

:laugh:

~Gnarly

6. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

Do you want something with the aluminium/stainless steel housing that you get in the tec-a3? If so, I'd say the tec accessories are probably the best bang for buck. The tec-s3 does seem to be available to purchase on the tec accessories website, so I would assume that means they are in stock and shipping.

If you want to spend big $$$, there are few other options in titanium and other exotic steels.
    see: http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/2011/02/tritium-keyfob-markers-pendants.html

If your happy with the acrylic/plastic encasing of the tritium you can get the veleno designs one that was mentioned earlier. I believe similar things can also be bought from ebay or other hk/china stores.

There's also the nite-glowrings. In the past some people report having issues of them cracking or having the tritium come out. I haven't experiences these problems, but I haven't put them up to heavy abuse.

There's also some pre-assembled merkava glow-rings at cpfmarketplace. My sample didn't do very well on my key-ring, but this is probably the smallest and thinnest tritium marker, I've found available.

Mattrg at cpfmarketplace is also making tritium cast in a clear acrylic resin.

You might find this post of mine useful as well:
    http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/2010/12/tritium-keyfob-review.html

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Would be great to buy one of these from the forum store with the trit all ready installed!!

8. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

It doesnt look hard to change, plus getting trit would be one more thing to worry about. Plus not that easy ti get state side.

Plus its good to have options. Imo

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

9. The Professor

The Professor Empty Pockets

Ok, guys. . .perhaps I'm missing something.

When I looked at the EDC gear shop, I found GITD fobs that didn't appear to have any tritium in them. I'll be honest, I originally found these forums doing a search for Tritium fobs, so it's the primary reason I came here.

I'm looking for something like the British Beta Lite. I want a fob or device that is tritium-illuminated that can be used to read a map, as a signalling device or as a low-powered light. Is there such an animal made here in the US? I'd really rather not risk buying something from Taiwan or China.

Heck, I even thought about somehow modifying the head of a Minimaglite to hold a tritium capsule, somehow.

Am I missing the Tritium fob in the store?

The Professor

10. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

You need to buy this kit:
    http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=tecaccessoriesgfobpelletkit
    and buy your own tritium to put into the kit.

The tritium can be bought here:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?170374-For-Sale-Tritium-Vials

To be honest tritium is not that bright... to use it to read a map, you would need multiple vials or a very large vial of tritium. One 23x3mm tritium is probably not bright enough.

There are some dedicated tritium map readers such as:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?204475-New-batch-of-48-Tritium-map-reading-lights
    but these are sold out. I'm not sure where else you can buy them.

This guy is making 'jumbo night lights' with extra large tritium:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?240703-TRITIUM-CAST-keychains-Markers
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?243345-Tritium-Night-Lights

11. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Just to add to what hazna said, you will probably not find a source for ready made tritium fobs in the US, it is not legal to sell them without a special license. You might find someone who tries to sell them as a functional "marker" as opposed to a "frivilous" accessory (that is the terminology that dictates whether or not you can sell them in the US), but I have heard of people getting harassed when trying to sell tritium in any form of "keychain" use. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Oh, and there is very little risk from buying tritium vials from the source on CPF. He is a very reputable dealer. Yes, it is a bit of an inconvenience to order your own vial and install it, but sometimes you don't have much choice. It's not that difficult though.

12. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

I purchased the TEC fob and the DIY kit from the store and more tritium from the Candlepower Forums marketplace link that Hazna provided. I have purchased from that vendor in the past and have had excellent experiences both times with receiving exactly what I ordered and well protected in shipping. The package took some time as it is coming from Singapore but so far the average has been just under one month to receive. To fit the tritium vial securely you will need to add a dab of silicone or something else to keep the narrow vial from slipping out the end of the TEC fob.

In closing I'd like to say that my experiences with the EDC forums store and Merkava have both been positive and I have no reservations recommending them to anyone.

13. keith6

keith6 Loaded Pockets

I bought one of these and they are really great

14. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Stupid question but what size trit and kit do I need for my Ti tec eng glow fob?

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

3mm x 23mm (from TEC himself, no less)

Also spec'ed in the Glow Fob Pellet Kit Instructions (end of 2nd paragraph, page 2).

Google-fu?!? :eek:

ATB,
    Sam

16. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

but do I need a sleeve or something?

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sleeve is part of the Glow Fob Pellet Kit.

"The glow fob do-it-yourself kit is designed for the TEC Accessories 3 Series Glow Fobs (i.e. TEC-A3). This kit will allow you to create a pellet insert of your own design that will replace the existing pellet that was included with the glow fob. The kit contains two pieces of clear tubing, 2 extra neoprene washers, 2 extra orings, and an extra glow fob split ring. The clear tubing has been pre-cut to the precise length required, polished to remove scratches, and cleaned to remove any dirt and extrusion release chemicals. "​

Don't make me break out the RTFM T-Shirt ;)

So you basically need:
    1. 1 TEC Series 3 Glow Fob
    2. 1 TEC Glow Fob Pellet Kit
    3. 1 3mm x 23mm Tritium Pellet
    ATB,
    Sam

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can get the pellet kit from Jon. I got my trit from Ku.

19. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Merkava on cpfmarketplace sells the kits with tritium already installed if you don't want to buy a kit and tritium separate. I got mine from him

20. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I just got my trit from Merkava for my TEC fob. It takes a bit to come from Singapore, but it's worth it!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta