1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Traveling to Chicago

Discussion in 'Knives' started by k24cl9, Aug 9, 2016.

1. k24cl9

k24cl9 Empty Pockets

Hey all

Traveling to Chicago next month. Since the city doesn't believe in self defense, I won't be able to carry or have my mini barrage. I am looking for a reasonably priced knfe, 2.5in and under for compliance. Most the Kershaw I have come across aren't really ideal for self defense due to opening mechanism. Can anyone assist in suggesting other brands or models to consider?

2. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

What are you doing while you are there? Every time I went, and went out to a bar they used a metal detector on me and everyone I was with had to get rid of their knives. Didn't matter that one was a folding box cutter or a SAK Keychain dangler. They are really strict about it. That said spyderco makes a Chicago specific knife I believe.

3. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

As a former Chicago Police officer, if you are not threatening people with it, I wouldn't worry too much. 30+ people get shot every weekend, no one is worried about a tourist with a folder.

Viper, WHAT bars were you going to with metal detectors? NO WAY I'd ever go inside. If they are searching people, you NEED a weapon.

4. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Lol, maybe you are right. We were going to these trendy type places. Handlebar mustaches abound. They weren't like full scale metal detectors, they were just a giant man with a wand, but the effect was the same. A buddy had to toss his knife in the trash. I had the same problem in Nashville of all places. It was funny because all I had was an SAK on me and the guy rolled his eyes hard at me when I asked what I was supposedly going to do with a 1.5 inch slipjoint?

5. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Wow. That stinks. One handlebar mustache might be an anomaly, several handlebars, stupid hats, chain wallets and skin tight jeans...move on.

OP, if you don't go to a Portillo's (I recommend the big beef with sweet peppers) you wasted your trip. Any other questions about Chicago, feel free to message me.

willb00023, garza and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I took my Uncle Henry 3 blade to meet their max allowed length. They leave you with no baton, firearm, knife, or tazer; and may even tightly restrict pepper spray........if you're an out of state citizen. Pitiful.

7. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

If self-defense is what you are after, then why carry something that you have to sweat being confiscated around every turn?
    You need to carry something that is formidable and cannot be confiscated, no matter where you go. Enter the stout cane. You can pick up a stockman's cane for around $10 bucks at any farm supply store.

8. k24cl9

k24cl9 Empty Pockets

Appreciate the advice guys. Not a drinker so I won't be in any bars. The cane idea is pretty good but at 28 years old I might look a little out of place with a cane.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Four words: Americans with Disabilities Act. That makes it unlawful for anyone to even ask you about it. Or, if you feel more comfortable, get yourself an Unbreakable Umbrella. Same concept as the cane (with the added benefit of rain protection), but considerably more expensive. Worth every penny, though. You can see mine here...https://www.edcforums.com/threads/show-us-your-every-day-carry-volume-21.131899/page-262#post-2578368

Whatever you choose, stay safe and enjoy the trip.

10. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

To go with the cane some kind of veterans hat or t-shirt.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. k24cl9

k24cl9 Empty Pockets

Much appreciated. I'm not a veteran and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something that might think someone think otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ethos likes this.
  12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

+1 On everry trip to Chicago, Portillo's is one of my stops. I was disappointed Ada's Deli on Wabash closed. It was always a short walk from the Chicago office and my hotel. Near my office in Dallas, Gino's opened a franchise. I can settle for the franchise until my next trip to Chicago.

Djs105 likes this.
  13. willb00023

willb00023 Loaded Pockets

gotta love portillos and i carry a griptillian almost every day in the suburbs, when im in the city ts uasually a cryo or a mini buck vantage

garza and Djs105 like this.
  14. willb00023

willb00023 Loaded Pockets

realisticly just keep the blade a reasonable size for utility purposes and you shouldn't have any issues
    also are you going to be in the city or the suburbs?

Last edited by willb00023, Aug 15, 2016
  15. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

What about ESEE Candiru? It's a fixed blade but short. The Boker War Toad is shorter than that but has a vicious blade, its a friction folder though.

16. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Ethos, for whatever reason people are scared to death of fixed blades. Folders seem to be easier to explain (especially to a jury, IMHO).

17. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

If your worried about explaining to a jury you have far greater problems than if its a folder or fixed, besides, its under 2.5, it would be hard for a prosecutor to make a Candiru look scary.. I'm sure you don't plan on taking it out and waiving it around, just using it when needed, at which point if its legal who cares. I'm past worrying about others sensitivities when I'm not doing anything wrong.

There are plenty of folder options out there, I was just offering an alternative.

18. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

War Toad - friction folder= 2 1/4"
    Candiru - fixed blade= 2"

Both legal. Which one looks more intimidating? Doesn't matter, they are both legal.

[​IMG]

19. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Boker griplock all over chicago for almost a year, never had an issue. Obviously I don't take it out and wave it around downtown in front of cops, but I have asked some police (father in law used to run a local restaurant popular with police so I have been introduced to a few) and they have all said the same thing, as long as you dont stab anyone with it or act like a fool you will be fine.
    If you really want to be safe get a spydie chicago as mentioned earlier in the thread.

20. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Ethos, I totally understand what you are saying. Allow me to use this example. Let's say you get in a legally justified shooting with your licensed (or otherwise legally carried) firearm. What happens when there is question about the incident and a photo of your carry weapon is shown to a grand jury. Do you want then to see a bone stock boring firearm or the one with the Punisher logo on the back, the blood red paint and the barrel that says "smile wait for flash"? Sometimes perception does matter, that's all I'm saying.

I like fixed blades. They have a purpose and I own them. 100% my opinion, I like folders for EDC.