1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Traveling self defense

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by huntermanson, Nov 21, 2010.

1. huntermanson

huntermanson Empty Pockets

Hi all, new to the forum, thought this might be a nice unique first post.

so I often travel on airplanes, whether for pleasure or in my ongoing college search. Often, I do not bring checked luggage with me. I'll admit, I feel naked without a knife on me, for defense and utility. While I have not found a way to bring a knife on an airplane, nor do I intend to, I have found an interesting way to legally bring a device that I feel keeps me safe through security and to my intended destination of travel.
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of the device, on the right. It is approximately 90mm across at its widest point, 13mm thick and is pretty weighty (pictured with it is my CRKT K.I.S.S., which is my EDC knife at the moment. google it, CRKT has a bunch of nice knives). At any rate, this device would theoretically help in a SD situation. holding it like so,
    [​IMG]
    I could strike an opponent, causing severe enough pain to deter him.

I know, this is not an ideal SD weapon. however, I've found that this gets through security, no questions asked. I like that.

Does anyone else have something like this that isn't considered a 'dangerous weapon' but can be used as such, and is compact like this?

Yours,
    Hunter

2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Basically any sturdy pen or pencil?

3. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a stainless steel sharpie to take on a trip where I didn't plan on checking my baggage. Made it through security without a second glance and it is a good size and shape to use as a kubotan. I wanted a tactical pen that didn't scream weapon and was not too expensive. I think they can be found at Walmart and Staples for around $6.

4. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013
  5. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

my thoughts exactly.

You might want to look into the travel wrench, same principal
    http://www.kellyworden.com/TWProductPage.html

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am wondering how long this is going to volley back and forth with TSA before they create a blanket catagory for impact devices.

ATB,
    Sam

7. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Looks like a great way to punch a good sized hole in your hand in addition to maybe breaking a finger. I may be cynical but this seems borderline a troll post.

8. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

You never know who's watching or listening. Google "Project Echelon:"

The original ECHELON dates back to 1971. However, its capabilities and priorities have expanded greatly since its formation. According to reports, it is capable of intercepting and processing many types of transmissions, throughout the globe. In fact, it has been suggested that ECHELON may intercept as many as 3 billion communications everyday, including phone calls, e-mail messages, Internet downloads, satellite transmissions, and so on.(2) The ECHELON system gathers all of these transmissions indiscriminately, then distills the information that is most heavily desired through artificial intelligence programs. Some sources have claimed that ECHELON sifts through an estimated 90 percent of all traffic that flows through the Internet.(3)

source: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/29/038.html

9. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I don't think it will work.The way your fist is clenched looks weak.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

And flashlight.

11. defuse kit

Roger that, though I think anything crenulated might get a second look. It's not necessary, just helpful.

12. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

I'd stay in the "harmless-looking flashlight and pen" category....esp. since explaining the presence of a pen and flashlight is a lot easier than explaining that thing....

....also, when you reach your destination, you can have your other items (knife, etc.) waiting at the hotel (ship ahead of time) or stop by the nearest hardware store to stock up....

13. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Another vote for a flashlight. First off a flashlight is plain useful, second you can get decent light for $10-$15 (i.e. mini maglight, NEBO Edge). The only time I had some take a second look at light was when I went in for jury duty. My mini maglight was at the bottom of my bag with keys and it showed up strange on the x-ray. Get a flashlight and get some training.

14. Xapalambos

Xapalambos Loaded Pockets

Couldn't agree more. The best self defense weapon ever invented is your mind, and situational awareness. If things seem wrong.....EVADE. When all else fails, or if surprised your hands and any item on your person can be used if you were to think about it.

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

nobody's mentioned a cane. get a nice, hardwood cane, and nobody will look twice at it.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Unless you're a young, healthy, man.

17. jehan60188

yah, well if you dress in cargo shorts, and a t-shirt, you're going to look out of place. but if you dress like you respect yourself, nobody will look twice

18. defuse kit

Technically, if you do rock a cane, you can just cite the ADA which says they cannot ask you what's wrong. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

19. jehan60188

exactly.
    however TSA is notorious for not knowing, or caring about the law. so not looking out of place helps

20. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

The new x-rays will detect this as well as any plastic weapon. Go back to the crook handled cane with no metal on it.
    BTW These x-rays can show if a man is circumsized and if a woman is wearing a tampon. I love this world.