1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Travel with Expensive gear?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by HimalayanHitman, Jun 11, 2014.

1. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

Who here travels with expensive gear, I just bought a Rexford RUT for a bit more than retail and was thinking of flying with it?
    The reasoning is that I fly only with carry on and cannot carry a blade obviously and the RUT with its removable razor would enable me to buy one at my destination for a couple dollars and toss it when about to return. Who would try this (or has) and how safe does it sound (dont want the TSA to take this item :))?

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wouldn't mind checking it if it was tucked away well.

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  3. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

I will never check ANY luggage other than a firearm for obvious reasons.
    When I do check a firearm, my knife and multitool and any other items only allowed in checked baggage go into the LOCKED CASE that TSA has zero access to and which seem to have more importance being placed on getting that case to where it needs to go.
    WAY too many stories of property being stolen by the TSA from peoples bags or a note left stating some :censored: reason for taking it.
    I only do carry on and have taken plenty of expensive items (Cool Fall Tri-V/McGizmos) with me while traveling (in the US)
    As long as it's not a banned item, they have zero reason to attempt to confiscate anything.
    If they do try and you know it's not against policy, ask for their top person in charge and take it up with them and state the rules in place.

I also travel with a self addressed prepaid envelope should they be complete ayholes and tell you it's not allowed, you can ship it back to yourself instead of handing over an item that some power hungry idiot might want to keep for himself.

thekapow and HimalayanHitman like this.
  4. thatsalligot

thatsalligot Loaded Pockets

I usually take my Toolet and hide it really well in my checked baggage. This all I really need while traveling. Cadet, Space pen, pocket wrench and flashlight.

5. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

You actually carry the Cadet on a plane, wish I was that brave lol? I dont fly much so Im a novice as to how TSA reacts toward EDC gear.

6. thatsalligot

thatsalligot Loaded Pockets

No, I place it in my checked bags not carry on ;) I have gotten away with my SD before. I completely spaced one time and they took my cryo. Good thing it's only $35

7. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh man that still sucks. I can only imagine the feeling.

8. dictatortot
    • In Omnia Paratus

dictatortot Loaded Pockets

I airline about once a month with a small Sebenza in my CHECKED bag. The knife has always arrived at my destination each time for the past two years. I do hide it in a shoe or something, but I understand there is the off chance of a crooked TSA guy recognizing its value and stealing it.

The last two times I've gone through security, I've had a Spyderco Bug attached to my car keys in my carry on bag. Never had them catch it on the x-ray machine, but I imagine if they did, they'd just remark about what a cute little bugger it is!

thatsalligot and HimalayanHitman like this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I almost never fly, but on the rare occasion I have to, I never take anything I'm not willing to lose (or more accurately, taken by a TSA agent who is either unclear on the latest guidelines, or is using guidelines not made available to passengers).

Sachmo, ManVsLawn and HimalayanHitman like this.
  10. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

I had to Google what a R/Rut was... But shouldn't be a problem, without the blade it's just a 'holder' made out of awesome material.
    But, if your concerned why not ask someone at TSA to give guidance?

That envelope idea is very good... If for some reason TSA doesn't allow it, then just post it back to yourself.

I'm guessing you've insured it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

Totally agree. I never take anything to the airport that I'm not prepared to lose.

12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have really come to like the smaller pelicases, to protect my tablets when traveling :) i highly recomend them, mine has been dropped several times on concrete with no problems other than alot of scratches. (I use them on building sites)
    [​IMG]

13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I lost my favorite decade old Vic Spirit Multiool to the European TSA :(

We check baggage on the flight over, and of course I packed the multitool in the checked baggage. But then we took a side trip that included a high speed train leg. Apparently high speed trains are in the airplane security realm and all baggage goes on the car with you so no checking options..... the B'stards saw (X-Ray) and took my Spirit. Next time that happens, I will be breaking the blades off before I hand it over to them.... least I know they won't be able to use/sell it.

14. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh man that sucks so much. And for it to be that old I know it has sentimental value. Sorry for your loss.

thatotherguy and reppans like this.
  15. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

I used to travel international constantly with expensive and non expensive knives and had zero issues in checked luggage. I wouldn't travel with my Sebenza now though because I would probably not be able to bring it back in to Australia.
    Only knives id be willing to lose would come with me now days, stuffs just gone dang stupid of recent.

16. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

anything expensive i have to carry on board with me like small electronics. Mexican customs is very arbitrary especially if you cross the border on land. last time i visited they began 100% inspection before setting you loose, otherwise i would have brought my cousins some spydercos and fenix lights but now i cant.

17. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it was the sentimental value that got me.... here's nice TSA story though: Way back, perhaps soon after this whole TSA thing formally started (am I that old?), I went through a check point for a flight and forgot I was carrying a SAK mini champ (another knife a I had for a LONG time) - the TSA agent saw my distress at losing the sentimental piece and offer to mail it to me.......and she did! She left her return address on the envelope and so I sent a nice thank you note and some cash (about the retail value of the knife at the time) in appreciation :).

thatotherguy and HimalayanHitman like this.
  18. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Those days are long gone, just like the police used to be the town friend now they are ticket giving SWAT wannabe.

davem and reppans like this.
  19. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I've traveled with some relatively expensive items in both check and carry on. I personally haven't had any problems. I usually hide my knives in my check luggage. Having a prepaid and self addressed envelope on hand is a great idea just in case. Another thing I've heard for check luggage within the US is to put your valuables in a sealed flat rate box addressed to yourself. They can x-ray it and they can remove it from your carry on and mail it to you, but they can't tamper with it or it's a federal offense.

thatotherguy and HimalayanHitman like this.
  20. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Prepaid padded envelope or padded envelope with enough postage (gotta love 'Forever' stamps). If TSA makes an issue about it, your only out $2 for the envelope and stamps. Put it on top of your carry on when you send it through the scanner. They're used to dingbats trying to sneak stuff through, not honest people trying to stay within the rules.

For checked luggage, it's usually not the TSA that's five fingering your toys, it's usually everybody else. Hide it in your shoes and stuff a couple pairs of underwear down on top of it. IMHO, TSA generally dosn't care about cutters, but will zero in on any electronics, batteries, or suspicious gels (i.e. hand lotion, gel insoles, etc). Also as PSA, TSA they can legally use whatever means they deem necessary to open a locked container, such as a travel safe. This usally means bolt cutters or something equally destructive.

reppans and HimalayanHitman like this.