1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Travel with CPAP

Discussion in 'Travel' started by gw812, Jul 19, 2012.

1. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

After recently doing something definitive about my spectacular sleep apnea (my sleep tech told me I created a whole new category of it - "dead guy") I now have a nice, shiny, expensive BiPAP machine. I'm about to start 24 hour shifts and need to carry it but the horrendously uncool travel bag it came with is just too big to run around with. Gonna get a smaller case for it (the hose/mask will ride in a separate container and place) and would like suggestions. The machine is 6.5" x 5.75" x 3.75" - a ResMed S9 if you wanna get a look at it - and the associated humidifier will not be accompanying me. Padded is preferred here. I'm looking at a Maxped 6x9 padded pouch currently but am concerned that the 6x9 shows the external dimensions and not internal with padding.

Ideas? Any other hose-heads travel with their machines?

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My husband uses a padded lunch bag he got at the thrift store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

On vacation with mine as we speak. 9 times out of 10 it just rides packed among my clothes, but occasionally it ends up in one of my range bags (the one that stays "clean" glasses and ears only, no ammo).

A little tip for you, if you can get yourself a good high cap UPS/battery backup like the type typically used for computers. I have a 1000v a tripp lots from Costco for $100. If you happen to loose power, you'll still be able to get several hours of good sleep.

veeks62 likes this.
  4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same one I use. I also use the bag that comes with it. You can try a County Comm Jumbo XL BoB if you're concerned about cool factor.

5. KG2V

KG2V Loaded Pockets

Wow - the S9 is small - my machine is circa a decade old, and is about the size of a shoebox

6. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

You oughta check out some newer CPAPs - there's one that's the size of 2 tennis balls sitting beside each other. If you don't like a long hose you can actually wear it right on your head! Too bad my titration's so high, I'd have one.

7. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

It's less the cool factor that I have the concern on as the size. I'm a REALLY light, one-bag traveler so I'm looking for the smallest possible package while still getting some padding to wrap it in. I roll with a Maxped Fliegerduffel and really don't want to add an extra bag to my mix. I'd rather keep it to one bag total.

After looking today my current play is that padded Maxped for the machine and mask and a small Cuboid for the hose and power brick. Still thinking, though.

Hey, since you have one do you know if they make a smaller power brick for running the machine without humidifier? I would figure you'd need less wattage with half the machine missing and the decrease in size would be good.

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

The air hose is attached at the humidifier end so you'll still need both halves of the machine, correct?

9. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

wow, lots of us apnea stricken folks here. I have a 12v 18A/hr battery that I use with a solar charger to keep topped off, I use it when the power goes out. :) I originally got it for camping..

When I travel, I just use the case it came in and put it in my luggage. If I take it on the plane, I always get the same response from the TSA "Hello Mr. CPAP!" :)

I guess lots of us need them.

10. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

I've traveled with mine dozens of times. I detach the humidifier part of it and use the bag it came in. Everything fits snugly in the bag. I may look in to the smaller more updated machines later. What interests me is the UPS system that amacman is talking about. On a couple occasions I woke up gasping for air due to power outages during the night!

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Given that the Maxped site lists:
    Main compartment: 6" wide x 9" tall x 3" thick​
    Volume: 162 cu. in.​
    and
    6x9x3 = 162​
    I expect the dimension given is internal capacity.

If not, someone at Maxped needs a stern talking to and a trip to the woodshed.

ATB,
    Sam

12. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

It can also attach to the machine directly. It uses the same port as where the humidifier hooks on.