1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Traser Watches

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bob45, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bob45

Bob45 Empty Pockets

Does anyone have any thoughts on Traser watches? I like tritium illumination, and they seem reasonably priced. Any pros or cons?

2. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I believe the concensus is that they are better than Luminox, as Lumi has been known to have some qc issues. I would check out the watchuseek forum. There are a few threads about Trasers and tons of good info as well. Btw if after you have done your research, I have a Traser Big Date Chrono for sale if interested.

3. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Been wearing one for years. Had the battery replaced last year. Still glows bright as heck in the dark. Wouldnt wear anything else.

4. Bob45

Bob45 Empty Pockets

I ordered one yesterday. I think I'm going to like it.

5. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

What one have you ordered ? Mines a navigator p6500. Where are you buying from ? Us or eu

6. Bob45

Bob45 Empty Pockets

I ordered a Commander Titanium on a bracelet from island watch in new york. Should have it by the end of the week

Sigdog likes this.
  7. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

8. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

Hi,
    Traser is owned by MB Microtec, the Swiss company that supplies the tritium tubes to many other watch companies. They actually started by supplying tritium tubes to makers for the US Government navigator watches right from the beginning. The Traser P6500 (under) is almost identical to the original supplied to the US military.

[​IMG]

I look at Traser as the inventor of the modern quartz, tritium tube illuminated watch. If you look at their range of watches now, you can see how good their design department are, tritium tube illuminated watches for just about everyone.

Cheers, John

Last edited by Sigdog, Apr 22, 2016
    Nick4305 likes this.
  9. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

I have owned four Traser watches and own two right now, my everyday watch is a Traser Black Storm Pro, it is a great watch, easy to read day or night, accurate and water resistant to 200m. The black PVD stainless case is now eight years old and has worn very well. I really like the black look with the white hands and numerals.

[​IMG]

I only use nylon straps to keep the weight down, rubber straps make me sweat. Quality wise I think Traser is very good. The only thing I didn't like was the red second hand (actually I hate them) so I painted it white (not the tritium tube).
    I look at Luminox watches as ok, but their huge logo on the faces of their watches really looks cheap, they were mixed up in that navy SEAL thing a few years back, that was not a good thing for them to do.
    (I bought a Traser P6500 for my son in February, but it is "not cool enough".... if anyone is interested).

Cheers, John

Last edited by Sigdog, Apr 22, 2016
    YankeeHotelFoxtrot and Nick4305 like this.
  10. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

Commander ti is a nice watch, I had one on the way to me when I saw a used Black Storm Pro on Ebay in Germany, I bid and won it for $120. It arrived before the Commander ti and I sold the Commander to a friend.

[​IMG]

At the same time as this was going on I bought a P6500 for my son who says it is not cool enough, so I ended up with three Trasers at the same time!
    I'll be selling the unused P6500 for $120 ono if anyone is interested.
    Cheers, John

Nick4305 likes this.
  11. Custom

Custom Empty Pockets

Also check out Ball watches. They use tons of tritium and are a mid tier option if you want to spend a little more money.

Some of their watches use t100 tritium tubes which are huge and glow like torches. I personally like the engineer master aviator. Though it was a better watch when it was 44mm.

Nick4305 likes this.
  12. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

"a little more money" ...?!? They are all over $2,000 !!!

13. Custom

Custom Empty Pockets

Search watchrecon, buy second hand from other watch enthusiasts. You can get them under $1000.

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The pro is the lume will go on for 25 yrs (from the date the tube was produced. not the watch) without charge.

The con is the lume is radioactive gas inside tubes. from what i read, the radioactive level is so low, the only concern is if you eat the dial and hands, and a lot of them ... well eating your watch is always not recommended regardless of lume material :)

Also after 25 yr, the radioactivity level will be about 1/4 of the original level and the lume basically won't work anymore. and you will have to replace the dial and hands (which may or may not cost more than a new watch)

Another one, besides Ball, to consider would be GSAR / TSAR / CSAR. They are tough and built like a tank. My complain about them is that the triangle on the bezel is not tritum tube (neither are some of the Ball)

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is interesting but I have 4 different Luminox with Tritium,1 brand new and 2 about 20-25 years old maybe and I have wondered if the difference between the glow would be obvious or not.
    It is not!
    The old ones from around the time Luminox started selling them I think still glow about as nice as the new one? Not as nice but pretty close and for sure enough to be useful without trying to see them in the dark.

I know they can say when the tubes have reached half-life but the glow seems to remain pretty constant to me.

And no I don't think I will try to photograph them either,not sure it would prove anything or even be legible in the dark?

All I know is that I am thrilled by the examples that I have for the Tritium performance!

I also just got a GSAR this last week and I say if you are on the fence about one,do it!!

I am looking at Traser too of course,once you have had the Tritium illumination I have a hard time being satisfied with standard Lume that might be really bright for a while but never overnight in my experience?

jcombs likes this.
  16. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I have the Traser Outdoor Pioneer and bought it at 50% off when Watchmann.com was clearing out his inventory. It's a nice watch with uni-directional bezel, 200m WR, lightweight and the tritium is cool too. I'm not sure I would like it as much as I do at the $225 retail they seem to bring but it was a steal at the sales price.
    [​IMG]

17. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Thats interesting, I wonder how long would the tritium tube stay bright enough to be "useful" in the dark? I don't expect them to just "turn off" after 25 yrs. But they should be dimer because of the reduction of radioactivity.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree which is why I mentioned it in the first place.
    I am pleasantly surprised since I was thinking they would be pretty dim by now and I have no real good way of measuring aside from just looking at them in the dark but maybe they didn't and don't have a good way to determine the persistence either and these have not been around long enough to even know for sure?
    Science?
    Who Knows?

wytwolf and jcombs like this.