1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

traser, luminox or marathon?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Beneficial, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Richp

Richp Empty Pockets

I'm new here, hope you don't mind me contributing after lurking for a while, but this is a pet topic of mine.
    I have a thing about lume: I like to be able to work out what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night (I travel a lot with work, so jetlag and unfamiliar hotel rooms are a regular occurrence). The range of Tissot, Technomarine, Seiko and others that I have tried over the years just don't cut it. About 5 years ago I stumbled across Traser while looking for watches with good illumination and got myself an H3 classic - black numerals on white face, automatic - just to try. It's fairly plain, but a solidly built watch with great lume, and since I have to wear a suit every day for work, it goes quite well. I ditched the leather strap it came with and switched it for a yellow and then an orange kevlar strap, eventually settling for a red maratac zulu.
    A year into that watch, I discovered the Marathon TSAR and just had to have one! I never got on with bracelets so only used the rubber strap that came with the watch, then replaced that with a dive strap and buckle from Ted Su, and that has been on the watch for some 3 years or so now; it really made the watch, but overall it's a lot bigger than the Traser and getting a shirt cuff over it can be tough.
    I have spent quite some time looking at the luminox range but have yet to find one that I like enough and is different enough from both the Traser and the TSAR, so haven't gone down that route yet - though I notice that most of the range is a lot lighter than the Traser and the TSAR (the latter is heavy, even without a steel bracelet). I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, so I would suggest you pick out the one (or ones :)) that catch your eye and go with them.
    All the best,
    RP

I'll try to work out how to post photos and see what I can upload - struggling to load pictures, but here is a link to them.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/7431682312/photos/1293436/dsc_4674
    http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/7431682312/photos/1293436/dsc_4671

LoneStar likes this.
  2. BrownMajik

BrownMajik Empty Pockets

Ive had all three. Kept the marathon. It was on my when my wife and i bugged outta tokyo after the quake:
    [​IMG]

3. ScarletPimpernel

ScarletPimpernel Loaded Pockets

I have a Deep Blue tritium watch; it uses t100 tubes instead of the t25 used by Luminox etc. It really makes a difference - the t100 is much brighter than the Luminox watch I have. It's also very well built.

4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I will have that watch. It's only a matter of time.

5. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

I've owned several Marathons...top notch...can't go wrong with them. After briefly owning a luminox (nothing wrong with it, acquired it in a trade) I'd say I rate the Marathon line of gsar/jsar/csar, etc above any luminox any day of the week. Just my 2 cents...

6. intellax

intellax Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a luminox almost everyday for over 10 years... always lasted, although obviously the tritium has dulled after 10 years, but still quite visible.

7. freq18hz

freq18hz Loaded Pockets

Why is the only marathon watch people seem to be comparing to the luminox and trasers, the JSAR and TSAR?

Why isn't anyone discussing the Marathon watches priced similarly to the luminox/traser, like the Marathon Navigator, or the Marathon field watch?

Surely someone must own both...pics? Lume differences? Come on people... =)

-Freq

8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

:iagree: I have the Deep Blue Daynight Ops with the T100 tubes. The lume on that baby is outstanding, MUCH brighter than either my Luminox or Traser.

BTW I have read that Marathon SARs use a very cheap movement and their price really isn't justified by their innards.

9. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Hey guys/gals new guy here, just for your reference. T-100 and T-25 are licenses which allow the amount of tritium that can be used in a watch.

To the OP, I’ve owned a few Luminox’s and put each through it’s paces. I rode my scooter (which was a rigid, no shocks and no vibration dampeners between the handle bar and upper triple tree) very hard. Something like 2K plus miles a month, in addition to working on the scooter at home, as well as on the road. All of which performed well and as expected.

I presently own a Traser Big Date Pro …

[​IMG]

… and most recent (after looking for a tritium tube watch) I pulled the trigger on this one. This new model of TaWaTec's Titan Ti Diver which has a black date wheel and now says Swiss Made, Which it was confirmed that the Titan Ti Diver is now 100% Swiss Made.

[​IMG]

Sorry wrong photo ... ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I will ad that I'll be wearing this TaWaTec out! Lot's to like about this one!

Good Luck, and IMO the best part of buying one is the Hunt!

Pops

10. sdrutledge

sdrutledge Loaded Pockets

Oh oh let me play too!

CSAR - costs a small fortune but has a bullet proof ETA 7750 movement and loads of features including the timing bezel, chrono functions and tritium. Plus it wears like a tool on your wrist.

[​IMG]

11. TuffWriter

TuffWriter Banned

The TAWATEC Titan and Mk II are Swiss made, but the term 100% Swiss Made is a bit misleading. The case and band are actually manufactured in China then shipped to Switzerland for assembly. The movement is Swiss made and since the assembly is done in Switzerland, the watch is "Swiss Made". At least that's how I understood it as explained to me by the company owner Martin Schneider.

12. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

well, to conclude my old thread - i finally chose luminox and got a good deal on a 3000 series.

the tritium is AMAZING. i wake up in the middle of the night and it is extremely bright and easy to read the dial. i dont think any super luminova can compare to the certainty of tritium. plus if i ever get captured and taken prisoner by someone who leaves me with my watch in a dark dungeon, atleast ill know what time it is :)

[​IMG]

13. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Luminox. Good choice.
    [​IMG]

14. SgtVann

SgtVann Loaded Pockets

Tawatec and Luminox. I have both. I love my Tawatec.

15. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

Love the Ball, wish I could afford one. Beautiful watch

16. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

You'll be happy with your luminox, I've been extremely happy with both of mine.

17. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

I can only speak to the Marathon produced versions (which are great),but I highly recommend any watch that has tritium inserts.

18. chris 223

chris 223 Loaded Pockets

I owned a luminox and currently have a Marathon T-sar if you can afford it go with the Marathon I was truly dissapointed in luminox customer service and wouldnt want to see anyone have to go through that again.