1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Transition Kit

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by World in Transition, Nov 1, 2013.

1. World in Transition

World in Transition Loaded Pockets

About a year ago I made up a number of these kits for students attending some bushcraft and survival workshops I was running.

I have a few documents I wrote at the time explaining why I felt compelled to put something like this together and some of the reasoning behind my choice of kit – now I’m quite sure not everyone here will share my point of view but hopefully everyone will find some value here :D

I’m short on time but I’ll share the copy of some of these documents and also try to highlight some things I think are particularly awesome, here goes:

Transition Kit

You may feel, as I do, that we are on the precipice of some serious changes here on spaceship Earth, and that ultimately this transition period will see us through to an era in which we are bound together as one, co-existing in the vibrations of unconditional love, peace & respect – living sustainably and abundantly in balance with our mother earth and one-another.

Whilst fair and sustainable alternatives exist for currency & exchange, law and order, manufacturing & distribution, food & healthcare and energy, in order for these new systems to truly take root on a global scale I can’t help but feel the people of earth will have to see their current unsustainable systems fail them - the old must collapse to make room for the new!

Here are just a few of the possible events/situations I see on the horizon that could result in sudden and extreme shifts in our way of life:

· A full scale global economic meltdown resulting in civil unrest, food shortages and potentially even martial law (As happened in 1929 when an orchestrated stock market crash led to the Great Depression)

· A massive CME or solar flare storm that could take out the global power & communications networks (As happened in 1859 when a huge solar storm took out power and telegraph systems across the globe)

· An escalation of war in the middle east leading to oil shortages,
    possibly as a result of a 'pre-emptive' attack (As happened in 2001 with Iraq and the fabricated 'WMD's')

· Major earth changes increasing in scale and frequency

I feel that fostering an understanding of basic survival skills, local bush tucker and keeping a kit prepared with a few important bushcraft tools could place us in an empowered position during potentially challenging transitional times, and also afford us the ability to assist those around us in need, rather than being one of those in need.

This is where the Transition Kit comes in. It’s a super compact, lightweight system designed to provide you with everything you’ll need to get by if :censored:-hits-the-fan and you are forced to leave or can’t make it back to your home in an emergency situation. Of course, it’s also a high quality bushcraft kit perfect for any kind of outdoor exploration or activity.

The kit has evolved based on my teacher Koa Windsong’s survival kit from his ‘Bushtucker Survival Guide’ - for over 40 years Koa has lived in joy, in nature, with just these basic tools, so you can be sure that it’s comprehensive and well tested by someone who uses it as their means of day-to-day living. Over time I’ve further honed the contents and system based on lots of research & experimentation and I’m stoked to make it available to you as a ready to go kit!

Primitive survival skills are the life sustaining arts and practices that have supported mankind since our birth, yet today these skills have all but vanished. Now more than ever these ancient ways can help bring back an age old sense of belonging, independence, self confidence and gratitude for nature and the earth's resources in this modern age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kit Contents

Contents:

Fire Kit
    2 Bic Lighter
    2 Matches
    1 Aussie Survival Tool
    1 Bag Cotton Wool
    1 Screw Container

Super Food Kit
    1 200gm Chia
    1 200gm Bee Pollen
    1 Screw Container

Sharps Kit
    1 Tweezeers
    1 Nail Clippers
    5 Sewing Needles

1 M12 Versatile Molle Utility Pack with waist belt
    1 Poncho / Hoochie Waterproof
    1 Para Cord 35 Metre Lengths
    1 Pocket Mosquito Head Net
    1 Shemaghs Genuine Issue
    1 Military Canteen Cup With Popular Butterfly Handles
    1 CanteenShop GrillTop Stove Stand
    1 Recon M12 Canteen Pouch Inc. 1qt Canteen
    1 Canteen Cup Stove Stand

2 Mainstay Bars
    1 Cutlery Set
    1 Breathable Gardening Gloves
    1 Folding Saw
    1 Secateurs
    6 Tent Pegs
    1 Bottle of Tea Tree oil
    1 2m Gorilla Tape

1 iTP A3 EOS 96 lumens LED Mini Keychain Flashlight
    1 Lfestraw Water Filter
    1 Space Blanket
    1 Basic emergancy fishing kit
    1 Waterproof copy of Koa Windsong's Bushtucker Survival Guide

You MUST add: A Knife
    First Aid
    Compass

You may add: Camping hammock/lightweight tent
    Lightweight sleeping bag
    Sleeping mat
    Bag of clothes
    Survival book
    More extensive fishing kit

And a little more detail:

Super Food Kit:

[​IMG]

Chia seeds – the ultimate survival food

Chia is native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala.
    It was highly valued as a food source by the Aztecs and other pre-Columbian Indians. They would take them along with gourds of water when travelling long distances to stay hydrated & nourished.
    Today athletes including runners and mountain climbers use chia seeds to maintain endurance.
    Chia seeds are high in protein, omega fatty acids (beneficial oils) and fiber. They have twice the protein of any other seed or grain. They’re said to have five times the calcium of milk. Plus, they contain a number of other vitamins and minerals.
    The seeds form a gel when soaked in water or juice. They’ll absorb up to nine times their volume. Soaked seeds have been used in gruels, porridges and puddings. Ground chia seeds have been used in baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits.
    It’s the seed gel that helps keep you hydrated. It’s best not to take chia seeds dry, unless you drink a lot of water with them. Otherwise, they’ll soak up moisture from your body.
    One of the benefits of chia seeds is that they help control your appetite. You won’t feel the need to eat as often. They’re also good for digestion and reportedly help with irritable bowel syndrome.
    Besides that, they slow down the fluctuation of blood sugar levels, which makes them beneficial for diabetics.
    Chia seeds offer an inexpensive way to add nutrients and improve your stamina. Take some chia seeds with you the next time you go camping or hiking.
    Chia seeds have a shelf life of about 5 years.
    Chia seeds can be germinated and make fine greens.
    If you want to try adding chia seeds to your daily routine, buy at least a half kilo of them. Put 1/3 cup seeds in 2 cups water to make chia seed gel. Then take three tablespoons 1-3 times a day. Of course, you can always add dry seeds to any foods you’d like to experiment with.
    If you had several kilos of chia seeds on hand, you could get by on them alone, along with plenty of water to drink. This could keep you from going so quickly through your other long-term storage food.

Bee Pollen

It’s been said that holding a supply of honey bee pollen is like holding a health food store in the palm of your hand, and that pollen is like having the ultimate survival pack; and it’s even been boasted that man can survive on water and pollen alone. One tiny pollen granule could hold up to 5 million spores of pollen! Containing over 18 amino acids and numerous enzymes, pollen is thought by scientists to be a “super food.” In addition, pollen is rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals, fatty acids, hormones, carotenoids and bioflavonoids.

The high amounts of nutrients present in pollen aid the body in performing numerous daily functions as well as helping fight against disease. Some of my coworkers swear by it to increase energy for working out and I have started to eat it before running. I have to say that I believe it gives me the burst of energy I need to endure a few miles around the neighborhood. And even better is how it is known to help increase recovery rates, enhance strength, and rejuvenate the body after a workout. It’s low in calories and high in Lecithin which is a known appetite suppressant that helps to dissolve and flush fat from the body. Some even claim that applying fresh pollen to the skin can help with acne and wounds.

Fire Kit:

[​IMG]

The tool at the front is an "Aussie Survival Tool"

Where it differs from other firestarters is that base is made from African rosewood, a very oily wood - in an emergency, even if the firestarter were to become wet you can shave some tinder off the handle into a pile along with the magnesium and you will get a strong hot flame with minimal effort...

Ultimate outdoor cooking system

Here is a look at my preferred cooking system. After much research and experimentation I repeatedly go back to the canteen cup and canteen stove. This is a really versatile system that will let you use alcohol stoves, hexi or other solid fuel tablets, or you can go primitive and make a small fire in the stove, or roll some coals over from your evening campfire. This system is nesting and takes next to no space, and is lightweight enough for even the most picky ultra lite backpackers to enjoy. Whether you are a backpacker, camper, hunter, or into bushcraft this is a system that is proven.

Recon M12 Canteen Pouch Inc. 1qt Canteen

[​IMG]
    Lined pouch helps keep water cool.
    Small pouch on front for hexi tablets etc.
    MOLLE fixture on rear.

G.I. Heavy Gauge Stainless Steel Cup

[​IMG]

This is one of the most important pieces of your kit. The Canteen Cup is made in the U.S.A. of Heavy Gauge Stainless Steel, and is the official military use cup. This Cup gives you the ability to collect water with ease, use it for boiling water straight on the fire, cooking and eating your meals, or carry it on a trek for foraging. No matter the task this cup will out last most of your gear! Fits perfectly around the 1 Qt military style canteens, and can combine with the Stove/Stand, and Lid to make a great in the field cook kit.

Canteen Cup Stove Stand

[​IMG]

Made by the Canteen Shop in USA. This is a one piece, bulletproof stainless steel stove stand for use with wood or spirit based stoves and multiple other uses. Made of Heavy Gauge Stainless Steel the CanteenShop Stove Stand features a GrillTop design, that keeps your cup above the flames to maximize heat. It can be used as a Stove, Grill, Berry Picker, Strainer, Small Shovel (extremely effective - one of my major secondary uses for this piece of kit), Fire Starting implement, Lantern (with the new SS HC Lid coming out), and what ever else you can think of. It is compatible with all standard canteen gear, just like the originals, and works great with Alcohol stoves, Trangia Stoves, or Wood fuel.

PONCHO/HOOCHIE TARP
    [​IMG]
    This unique product can be used as a poncho or as a shelter. The steel button Velcro fastening system down each side allows you to fasten two ponchos together to form an extra-large shelter or tent.

Features:
    Large hood that fits over Kevlar helmet.
    XL size poncho fits over you and your field pack.
    Steel press button fastening.
    Lightweight.
    No noise.
    Parachute cord hood pull string with military specification barrel lock.
    4 x Military grade "O" rings on each corner allows you to make a single (hoochie) shelter.
    Zips closed along the length of the poncho to form an emergency bivvy

Specifications:
    Size/Dimensions: 142 x 230 cm with a 115 cm drop from shoulders when worn as a poncho

An essential item for ANY outdoor outing and certainly in every Survival Kit and Bug Out Bag is a good quality Poncho. There is nothing more miserable (and dangerous) than getting soaked by rain. There are 100s of different ponchos to choose from. I prefer a Military Style Poncho with grommeted corners and snap closure sides. These are constructed of a good quality rip-stop nylon material that not only makes them water proof but very durable.

Ponchos are lightweight and multi-purpose and can be used as a rain garment, to protect your gear or to keep a wood pile dry, as a sleeping bag & an emergency stretcher.

Various types of shelters and lean-tos may be made by attaching ponchos to trees, tree branches, bushes, sticks, or poles. Always dig a ditch under the eaves of the shelter to drain off rainwater which drips from the edges of the poncho. A number of ponchos can be clipped together to build larger shelters. A few shelters are shown here, but there are many, many more which can be made.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could keep going but I've really got to wind down for the night… I really hope that some of you find some inspiration & ideas from what I've shared here ;)

b.s., snowkiwi, Snappy Hat and 11 others like this.
  2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Two comments:

1. Reads like a book ... and, I mean that as a compliment: succinct, well-illustrated, cogent, etc.
    2. And, yes, informative and inspirational.

I look forward to your next 'Chapter' being posted soon! Thanks!

FredEx likes this.
  3. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Well done FredEx!
    Quite an impressive post.

FredEx likes this.
  4. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Excellent kit and great presentation...very informative. I especially like the section about the chia seeds and their usefulness not just in a survival situation. Very well done. :) The part about the rain poncho and the dangers of getting soaked by rain...simply can't be repeted too many times.

I simply could not agree more....

I have a few questions :

1. The "Aussie Survival Tool"..am I correct in assuming that (out of view in your picture) there's a firesteel/flint/ferro-rod attached to this to ignite the African Rosewood and/or magnesium that you mention ?? We have similar "contraptions" here in the states...with fatwood instead of African Rosewood.

2. Breathable Garden Gloves ??? Pruning shears (Secateurs) ??? No disrespect intended...but I really don't understand the need nor can I imagine what would justify the weight of the secateurs in this otherwise small kit. You clearly state that it's assumed that a person carries a knife with this kit and you have a folding saw included in your kit.

3. The M12 Versatile Molle Utility Pack...did you replace the zipper-pulls with paracord yourself or does it come like that in Australia ?? To me it looks exactly like a bag made by Condor...called the Condor Deployment Bag. Here, that bag is available from places like Amazon and LA. Police Gear. :) (Price is around $22-24)

SP

5. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

I have some questions regarding this kit:

- For what period of time is this kit planned?

- What is the intent behind not adding any FAK items in this kit?

- can you show how the oven is packed?

6. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The one thing really new to me is the chia seeds. The other stuff is well written, too, and probably helpful. But I have to try these seeds. :rolleyes:

FredEx and SAKplumber like this.
  7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Nice write up and kit. :) +1 on the Chia seeds. There are a lot of recipes out there for them, and they work really well mixed into a daily protein shake or smoothie. We tried making an imitation tapioca pudding out of them; not the greatest texture but it works.

Curious -- can you share more info on the bag of bee pollen?

8. World in Transition

You're spot on - Here is another picture:

[​IMG]
    Aussie_Survival_Tool

as i mentioned in the post:

I've made a copy of his Bushtucker Survival Guide available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mll8fzgv6s8dj2/BUSH%20TUCKER%20SURVIVAL%20GUIDE%20By%20Koa%20Windsong.pdf

The gloves, folding saw and secateurs are extremely useful for harvesting certain types of bushtucker and plant resources where we live in Tropical Far North Queensland, Australia - a good example is Calamus muelleri, commonly known as lawyer vine, or wait-a-while. It's a vine-like climbing palm with sharp hooks along its leaf sheath, leaf edged, and along flagella that extend from the end of each vine.You can eat the core of the vine but you must strip it of its very spiky outer layer, you can also cut a length of the vine, turn it upside-down and suck clean water from it - you can eat the berries it produces and it makes an excellent weaving material for baskets and shelter - The gloves and secateurs make quick work of all of this...

With the help of some friends Koa has produced many DVD's sharing his skills and knowledge and makes them available for free on YouTube, here's the first one:

I get these from one of my main Australian suppliers kitbag.com.au - they sell it as their own house brand (Recon) but i'm pretty sure it's coming out of the same factory as Condor as they have many of the same products - and yes it does ship with the paracord pulls...

Hope that sheds some more light for you!

9. World in Transition

Found this: beeinformed.org/2011/06/can-man-survive-on-water-and-pollen-alone/

That's a pretty good summery - I've met a guy down south of where I live who harvests bee pollen - the last 5 or so years he has lived exclusively off a brew of sugar cane juice, bee pollen, chia seeds, lime juice and ginger blended together - he looks about 10 years younger that he is and has more energy than most people I meet!

10. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Hm, sounds a bit like yarn. ;) He would have to eat several kilograms per day just to get his protein needs fulfilled.:eek:
    Additionally, I do not see any source of vitamin k, and I see some of the B vitamins in just marginal doses, others not present, further requiring to increase the amount of seeds and pollen and still risking the severe effects of hypovitaminosis.:confused:

11. World in Transition

1 - 3 months to indefinitely - the laminated Bustucker Survival Guide contains a list of what Koa calls the "Superstar" or "VIP" Bushtuckers - these are Plant foods that are available all year-round (not seasonal), in any climate ie. dry scrub, coastal and rainforest, and are found everywhere between Sydney and Cooktown (pretty much the entire east coast of Australia) - if you knew just 3 or 4 of these plants it would be difficult to starve to death in the Australian wilderness - the superfoods are there to supplement the bushtucker and will assist in providing many of the micro nutrients the body may be missing if you suddenly had to narrow the variety of food you were eating.

From my original post:

First aid is a very personal thing - Koa only carries a pressure bandage and gets all his additional first aid requirements from nature - I personally carry a kit i've made up based on the "Level 1" First Aid Kit by Nutnfancy:

Ha! for sure, there is a technique, i'll have to make a video for you...

Hope that clears things up!

12. World in Transition

The bee pollen contains Vitamin K and I believe that the FDA reccomended protein intake is massively overstated

Bee pollen has been considered to have the following nutrients:

Vitamins: Provitamin A, B-1 Thiamin, B-2 Riboflavin, B-3 Nancin, B-5, B-6 Pyridoxine, B-12 (cyanocobalamine), Pantothenic acid, Vitamin C, F, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin H, Vitamin K, Vitamin PP, Folic Acid, Choline, Inositol, Rutin.

Minerals: Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Zinc, Sulfur, Sodium, Chlorine, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Boron, Silica, and Titanium.
    Other: Amino Acid, Carbohydrates, Fatty Acids, Enzymes & Co-Enzymes, Fats.

Bee Pollen contains at least 22 amino acids, 18 vitamins, 25 minerals, 59 trace elements, 11 enzymes or co-enzymes, 14 fatty acids, 11 carbohydrates and approximately 25 % protein. Bee pollen is extremely rich in carotenes, which are metabolic precursors of vitamin A. It is also high In B complex and vitamins C, D, E and Lecithin. Bee pollen contains over 50 % more protein than beef, yet its fat content is very low. It is also an excellent vegetarian source of protein typically possessing more of the essential amino acids, pound for pound, than animal proteins like meat, eggs, and dairy products.

Daily use of pollen also ensures an intake of the more obscure, yet essential trace minerals that may be lacking from commercially grown produce and are often not included in vitamin mineral supplements. Most of us are unaware that the nutrients supplied by cooked fruits, vegetables and meats are not considered fresh because their enzymes have been exposed to high heat. Even taking a multivitamin can't offer the superior nutrient array of raw and fresh food.

13. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

I do not doubt that those Vitamins are included (though my sources do not state that bee pollen contains a significant amount of vitamin k, I'll double check that), the only thing is that it contains enough vitamin density of certain vitamins. Lets take one example: bee pollen contains an average of 0.84 mg of vitamin B1 and an average male needs somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3 mg. That would mean that you would need to digest 130 - 150g of bee pollen just to have your dose of vitamin B1. Another example: while vitamin B12 is shown in most qualitative analyses, even in the most biased quantitative analyses made by vendors of bee pollen do not give us any data on how much is in bee pollen.

Given, bee pollen looks exiting and I will for sure give it a try - the only thing I suggest is taking more of a scientific approach. I even found some reports of allergic reactions to bee pollen, leading to at least two confirmed deaths and other side effects. ;)

14. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Ah, now I get the feeling on what is the idea behind the kit. Is there still room in the bags for... lets say a Hennesy and a FAK?

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Transition kit sounds like a great idea.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I intentionally left this thread alone, hoping that it wouldn't devolve into questioning about the sale of these kits.

Per Rule 11...
    ...several posts were edited in this thread in an attempt to allow the content to remain. Please understand that any posts questioning sales will be deleted and if it continues the entire thread, regrettably, will have to go.
    Thank you all for remembering and complying to the Member Rules.
    SAKp

17. Snappy Hat

Snappy Hat Loaded Pockets

I was trying to get the pdf file with no luck. Any get it ok?

18. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Drop me a message with your email, I'll send it to you in the morning (CET).

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.