1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

tower's throw-down --- a call to arms!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by tower, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some of you already know of some of the sacrifices that Jon has made over the years...some of you well...have no idea what Jon has endured.

I've taken the following excerpt from another thread...

I believe that Jon's long time philosophy of keeping the Forum in a state of "not to charge for" has finally reached the epiphany that has shaken his dream into the reality of its survival...

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

It didn't take a call to arms and the implementation of a new forum rule for me to become a forum supporter, I've been one for a while, so questioning my ability to read between the lines is uncalled for.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the offer Gnarly, If I can send Jon a money (check, cash, bullion) order directly, I'm happy to do that. It's the whole PayPal thing I object to. Like sending a donation to Mother Theresa via the Adolf Hitler Clearing House. Just not gonna happen even if Benjamin Disraeli is willing to do it for me. PayPal itself is easy enough to use even without an account, I'm just not going to. If having principles costs me the use of BST, then that's the price I can live with. If it costs me the forum altogether, then regrettably, so be it.

I would have become a supporter a long time ago if there were another way.

Monocrom likes this.
  4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'm sure Jon would happily accept check/cash/bullion instead of PayPal. Just contact him and I'm sure you can work something out. If not, let me know and I will see what I can do to help ya.

5. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I understand entirely. I don't care for the attitude that has been displayed during this proposal/discussion. It's becoming a "us vs. them" mentality, and I don't care to be a part of that. Therefore, if this attitude prevails, I have no interest in sticking around.

In truth, I have done very little business in the B/S/T forums lately, having been unemployed for the past 3+ years. It's not that I don't have money, I'm just much more selective now...but I'd prefer not to be denied the opportunity to peruse the B/S/T.

I'm not sure what makes you believe that a $5 fee is the least expensive place on the web in which to participate in B/S/T forums, but I can assure you it is not. I belong to roughly a dozen other forums, all of which have B/S/T, and not one of which charges a cent for the privilege. Yes, several of them have participation requirements, to keep people from using the site to purely skim for deals, and I think that's a fine idea. Additionally, and this points to the crux of the issue, in my opinion...I find your assertion that I can't afford to pay $5, and/or that I may have "bigger problems" to be both highly insulting, and entirely uncalled for. It's not that I can't afford $5...I do not like the method by which this has been implemented.

Here again, I find your words to be insulting and presumptuous. By what right do you accuse me of, essentially, stealing from Jon? I object most strenuously to this characterization. Up to this point in time, the use of the forum and the B/S/T has been free of charge, and I have in no way done Jon, or this site, any disservice. In fact, though it is no business of yours, in years past (when I was gainfully employed) there were times when I purchased multiple examples of knives and axes and the like (when in fact I really only desired one), purely to provide the numbers so that the sale would go through. In no way have I ever "reached into Jon's pocket", nor anyone else's. Once again, it is this attitude that I find distasteful and uncalled for, and if this is going to be the future disposition of EDCF, I prefer not to participate.

I've enjoyed my years on EDCF quite a bit. Many have expressed their appreciation for the civility that is seen on this site...but I feel this is rapidly eroding, and it's a shame.

Once again...I wish nothing but the best for Jon, and for the forum at large. However, I don't believe I'll be participating any longer. I apologize if my words come across harshly. That is not my intent.

Tim

Mr_Moe likes this.
  6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A bit harsh, but nicely summed up. I have to agree. I find PayPal odorous. (To put it very mildly.)

7. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

@ Mr. Moe, I've recognize that you are an active member here and that you've been an active supporter in the past...my comment of -
    "All due respect for your comment here...
    Even larger kudos of respect for you showing your support for the Forum!!!"
    Is the only part meant directly towards you...
    The rest of the post was not designed to convert you, only to help with others explaining/answering questions...
    The part where Read between the Lines is stated, again is not directed at you, yet directed towards others that have a hard time trying to comprehending what it takes to run the Forum for all to enjoy.
    Looking back, I should have made a direct "@" you, or made separate posts. I will make an effort to improve upon this to alleviate future issues I may cause,
    I am in no way questioning "your" ability to read between the lines...I know this because you'll recognize that I this is a sincere response, and not just written/verbal baloney.
    I humbly apologize for any misunderstanding!!

8. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

@Belush2: no apology necessary. A simple misunderstanding, that's all. Thanks for clearing it up. We're cool. (There ought to be a handshake smiley, can't find one.)

SAKplumber and billybag like this.
  9. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

There you go!
    [​IMG]

10. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Man, I have a hard time with these new smileys. Thanks. Hope I don't have to add glasses to my EDC. ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I can't easily check this on my phone so would someone mind telling me how much a +1 supporter badge costs? Thank you. And is it a one time payment or would I have to renew annually?

12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

+1 is $5 for 3 months

13. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

First off, I'm totaly supportive to this!! That being said, I owe a HUGE thanks to Dan for having this +4 supporter badge!!!

As some of you know I (and we in some parts of world) have a huge PIT@ regarding PayPal.

At the moment things work for me in such way: I need to transfer money on one online service that supports Serbia and pay a fee, then I transfer that money to PP again paying fee to first service holder, then upon purchasing from PP I pay PP fee again... So you see, there is 3 times fee... :mad::confused:

Then when trying to create account on forum store, again I'm restricted while there is no Serbia in dropdown list of countries. I mailed Jon once about that, but I presume he was too bussy... So still nothing...

Now the bottom line of this: I'd really like to support forum, and I'd like to register in forum store, so let me suggest few things...

1. List Serbia, Republic of in drop down list of countries in forum store so I can register
    2. Make possible purchasing supporter badge via forum store
    3. And this would be awesome and make my (and probably someone else) life easier!! - Make possible paying with Visa, Master, American Express in forum store

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. H2O

H2O Loaded Pockets

Busy weekend just saw this post.It took me a while to figure how to access Support EDC Forums,helps if I was logged in,not enough coffee in me yet.Hope this helps!

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I apologize if anyone is offended by the way the new rules are being implemented or my approach. Respectfully, I submit that I am herein fighting for one of my closest friend's very survival. I would ask you to consider, would you be any less committed? I would hope not. I realize that a small number of members will take umbrage and leave, no matter how this gets presented. I find that regrettable, but I can not let that deter me from trying my best to keep this forum open and serving the majority of our members. If these changes were not absolutely necessary, we would not be implementing them. You all know Jon better than that.

16. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Gustojinovic, those are all great suggestions which I will take up with Jon. Thank you. And thank you to Dan, whose screen name I will omit because of his request for anonymity. Like at least a dozen other members, many of whom have requested anonymity, some who have paid for multiple members, he displays the some of the finest ethicsl qualities of our membership. Thank you all.

17. phantom357

phantom357 Loaded Pockets

I don't mind supporting the forums monetarily. In fact, I will donate some loot after I post this. In addition to the quarterly membership rate, has anyone considered an annual membership with some sort of discount or other perk for paying a year in advance? Just a thought...

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Tim, I think it is clear that I was not accusing you, personally, of anything. Consider this analogy. A friend invites you over for dinner. They serve drinks, appetizers, soup and salad. For the main course you get both a steak and a whole lobster. Next comes a nice dessert, after dinner drinks and espresso. Dinner is over. Would you then say,"Is that all of the free food you're going to serve? I want things to continue as they were, I don't care about what it costs you." I don't know you well, but I think I can safely assume you would never make such a comment.

Well, to me, people complaining that they want things to continue as they have been are doing just that. Asking for more, more, more, regardless of how detrimental it may be to our host.

You are quite right. It is no business of mine, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you suggesting that the Forum Store would not sell you a single knife or a single axe, but only multiples of knives and axes? This is just not true.

If this is true, I would think you would want to be as supportive as possible.
    This is an opinion to which you are obviously entitled. As you can see form the majority of posters on this thread, most members are happy to step up and do the right thing, even extending themselves to cover membership for others. So again, sorry to see you go, but we are trying to preserve this forum for the majority of the membership who still appreciate it. We can no longer serve those who want a free ride on BST or who find this place less than civil and want to leave anyway.

~tower, out.

SAKplumber likes this.
  19. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Another idea I will discuss with Jon.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. phantom357

phantom357 Loaded Pockets

thanks tower! I just feel that the more options members have, the more likely they will contribute or renew. heck, while you're at it, you could also mention 1 year, 2 year, 3 year or maybe even lifetime membership, in addition to the quarterly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.