1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tourniquets?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by filjos, Jul 25, 2012.

1. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Saw an Israeli Battle Dressing used as a tourniquet on a fairly significant lower leg injury last night. It is what one of local EMS agencies carries.

Very effective as a tourniquet, though that is not it's main purpose.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

2. NCMedic

NCMedic Loaded Pockets

Were they attempting to use it as a TQ or just wrapping tightly? Just wondering if they attempted some sort of windlass or something to get more pressure.

Sent from this using that.....

3. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

They might have twisted the bandage over the wound site as demonstrated here in the video at about 3:25 -

EDIT: It seems the video is not showing up. Paste [watch?v=S2_EU1T-o-g] after youtube.

4. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

They used it as a tourniquet, applied proximal to the wound, using the closure bar as a windlass, which it is designed to do. The video linked about shows how, some sources say it can be used as a tourniquet this way and stop bleeding, some say that it can not really stop bleeding. Some agencies carry it for this purpose, and in this case it worked well, doing exactly what was intended by the user.

At the hospital we removed it and applied a blood pressure cuff as a pneumatic tourniquet to repair the wound.

5. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Random question what about the blackhawk hpfu jacket tourniquets? (its version)

6. Monty

Monty Loaded Pockets

I've got a SWAT-T in my EDC kit, seems like a good compromise between chance it will be needed and easy to carry.

TarHeelBrit likes this.
  7. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

I'm sure they work and something like that is probably a good idea if you are going into combat, especially in a small group where you might not get help quickly in a fight.

I can think of a couple drawbacks though. One, things like the CAT almost certainly work better, that is there will be wound where the ITS tourniquet does not stop bleeding but the CAT would. Another drawback is that you can easily use the ITS tourniquet to help others.

Also, clothes with built in tourniquets as an EDC item seem a little over the top unless you are in a war zone.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

8. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

I just like the jacket but was wondering if it is worth the extra cost to get the its version.

9. RAM.45

RAM.45 Loaded Pockets

What about the SWAT-T? What do you think about that one?

10. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

There is no doubt they can work and they are smaller, cheaper and lighter than most others. I am not a fan but have them and would take one if space or weight was at a premium.
    If you have the space the Cat or the SOF-T, in my experience, are much easier to apply correctly under pressure or in confined spaces with hazards especially to self apply. Usually with the Swat if you get it slightly wrong you are back to square one and a TQ that is incorrectly applied will just stop the return of blood which can make matters worse. Ones with a windlass allow for more room for error and you can tighten further after application.

11. think

think Loaded Pockets

i dont believe in the SWAT-T either. its applications are limited, and there exists to much room for error. One handed application? not possible. Good luck maintaining enough pressure while your patient/casualty is moving around. If it unravels while you are trying to put it on? CAT's and SOFT-T are the way to go.

12. Monty

Monty Loaded Pockets

No, really, it does exist.

I don't think it is the best but it is what I am willing to carry everyday. Some people may think that isn't the best place to compromise or take a chance but honestly it is probably an over reaction to carry one at all in my urban EDC.

Lou_G likes this.
  13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

The SWAT-T is basically an elastic wrap that can function as a tourniquet, a glorified, high-pressure elastic bandage. Will it work? Sure, but possibly not as well as the C-A-T or the SOF-T.

In my opinion the SWAT-T definitely has it's place in a civilian bag if one prefer, it is light, cheap and compact. I wouldn't carry it though but that's more of a personal preference. It also has a place in mass casualty situations due to its price, size, weight and ease of use. However, one should also note that the ease of use is superficial in a way, it is very simple to wrap a leg or an arm with something like the SWAT-T but it is something completely different to do it properly under stress, with a patient that's screaming and moving around and possibly with other dangers and distractions around. That goes for all tourniquets and every other procedure in such a situation, of course.

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  14. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I prefer to have a SOFTT-W and a SWAT-T due to it's multiple uses, as well as having 2 tourniquets. I like the CAT as well, but my cousin came back from a tour in Afghanistan as a medic and told me to switch to the SOFTT-W. Too many broken windlasses. I suspect it has more to do with the environment over there, but I don't argue since he's been there, done that and got the t-shirt, so to speak.

A TK4 or a piece of folded cloth and a stick are better than no tourniquet, I would guess. If you don't have the space for a CAT or SOFTT, nothing wrong with a SWAT-T. It is great for the size and other uses. Just like guns, knives and flashlights, the best tourniquet to carry is the one that you will actually EDC instead of leaving it at home.

15. lateapex

lateapex Loaded Pockets

Any of the SWAT T, CAT, and SOFTT-W will do. However it is as important to have an Israeli Bandage. HALO CS are good as well but I don't find them as important as the other two.