1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Toughest Sneakers

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by CTSC, May 9, 2013.

1. CTSC

CTSC Guest

What pair of sneakers you have owned have lasted the longest and stayed together and not torn apart. Mine would probably be a pair of new balance shoes I do not know the exact name. So what's yours?

2. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

saucony jazz

[​IMG]

thwippa likes this.
  3. To Meso

To Meso Loaded Pockets

4. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

subscribed... all mine fall apart or wear out after about a year.:(

5. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

None for sneakers... they are designed to wear out and be replaced.

I'm an RN. 12.5+ hr workday in sneakers, 6mo. tops before they need to be replaced... brand doesn't matter I've tried them all Puma, Nike, Reebok, New Balance, whatever. If they 'last' longer than you're just making due because the insole (and cushion) have been broken down.
    Before that I was a FF/Paramedic wearing all sorts of duty boots...good ones would last a year to a year and a half; Bad ones would fall apart in 6 months. Difference with boots -they're not meant to give the same kind of cushion; The ones that tried are the ones that failed early. Hard soled boots that have no cushion and have replaceable soles could feasibly last forever with proper care.

6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

For starters, stop buying running shoes.

Running shoes are designed for running (not walking, standing, sitting, etc.) They are designed to be unstable as heck and promote some kind of weird "optimum stride" nonsense which has no bearing on how people actually run, and "cushion" the impact of someone running 6mph. They need to be thin, breathable, lightweight - but not durable.

Trail shoes are even worse in some categories, as their tread is designed to dig into soft ground (not sidewalks) and is actually softer than normal "road" running shoes.

I've had good experiences with indoor soccer shoes - because they're designed for hard, flat surfaces, and have little cushioning since that would interfere with the feel of the ball.

In the long term, you need to stop depending on your shoes to cuddle your feet. They're just a crutch - after wearing soft shoes for most of your life, your natural ability to walk has become compromised. People did walk barefoot or with thin sandals for thousands of years. And no doubt they walked a lot more than you do today.

If you want to be silly you can get VIbram Fivefingers - I prefer huaraches. Cheaper and less stuff to go wrong.

TR3VVY B, hunkachunka and uzmati like this.
  7. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

The older skate shoes were pretty decent, hard wearing and the soles didn't break down afer a month or so like most sneakers seem to.

Looks like you can still get old style shoes from Vans, I think I'm going to to pick up a pair or two of these all black Cab Lites.

Last edited by Ted Andkilde, May 13, 2013
  8. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

I have had a pair of 5.11 Tactical Trainers for about 18 months or so, used them most days when the weather permits. They are still showing very little signs of wear and in general have been very good.

They are a trainer that performs like a trainer but wears like a top quality boot. I have no connection with 5.11 other than being a happy customer.

Here's my review on them.

9. zombieslayer001

I have had good luck with the Brooks Beast. I have had a couple of pairs that have lasted over four years.

10. zombieslayer001

I want to try the 6" Danner Melee.

11. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

I've had similar experiences with overpriced under performing sneakers. Finally got sick of shelling out so much money for shoes and bought a pair of Converse All Stars out of desperation and added some $10 work boot insoles. So far they are the best low cost alternative I have been able to find. They wear exceptionally well as long as they are sized properly, they are holding together terrifically and when the cushioning wears out I'll just replace the insoles. When they do fail I can replace them for $30 without having to hunt for a sale.

powerring and jeepsrjason like this.
  12. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Longest lasting were a pair of KSwiss "The Classic" I didn't think those things were ever going to give up...

They eventually did... after about 5 years!

13. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have had no luck with any of the name brand sneakers, I wear them out in 6 months or less and no matter how good the insoles are I kill them in about a month. I have even bought a pair of Wolverines work boots that were Postal worker approved for good wear and they didn't last long. I now buy cheap sneakers about $20 a pair and a pair of insoles and I'm good for 6 months. Right now I've been wearing a pair of Thom McCann work shoes that are only showing a bit of wear on the toe. I dug them out of the closet for the winter as they are insulated and I am still wearing them even with the warmer weather only because they are still holding strong.

14. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Simple sneakers with the old red kickball rubber soles. Going on 6 or 7 years. I forget. Refuse to part with them.

15. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

Great theory but we aren't designed to pound hard ground without cushion 24/7. We need cushion because of the hard surfaces we walk on daily not because we wanted to pamper our feet. Now if you're walking in grass in sand all day long by all means go barefoot otherwise -I hope you're kidding.

nightowl and surefire7 like this.
  16. uzmati

uzmati Loaded Pockets

Vans Core Classics. These things last me a good, long time.

17. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I did come off as kind of ranty.

But the concept that shoes have to be super cushioned is a modern creation, and is self-fulfilling - people grow up thinking that cushioned athletic shoes are required to protect them from the oh-so-hard ground, keeping in mind that few people walk at all anymore - their feet hurt after any kind of exercise, so they blame the shoes for not being cushy enough and get even cushier shoes.

Think of Converse All-Stars - they were created for basketball, which requires a ton of jumping and running. They were worn by professional basketball players when they came out. Nowadays everyone thinks that they don't have enough "support" or "cushioning", even though these people don't play basketball or anything at that level.

Think of all those businesspeople in major metropolitan cities like New York, London, and Paris that walk everywhere - on hard pavement, with dress shoes and leather soles. Are they all massively injured and hobbling? No, they're fine. They probably walk a lot more than you or I in the car-centric United States.

The human body is capable of a lot more than what you give it credit for - assuming you give it the chance.

Elie, TR3VVY B, villaphoto and 2 others like this.
  18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

My Merrell Moabs are still going strong after many years. Probably my favorite shoes of all time.

I'll also second the Converse Chucks. Believe it or not, I've hiked in them many times.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  19. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

Doctors also used to recommend a particular brand of cigarettes because they thought they were healthy.

And if your human body isn't in peak condition, or :censored: near it, like everyone who didn't die a horrible death back in caveman times was then you'll wind up finding out that what it's actually capable of is breaking in any number of interesting and painful ways that would've either killed you or gotten you left for the sabertooth tigers back in the day. People need shoes that support their body properly nowadays because people don't spend all their time on soft natural surfaces, the weak or imperfect don't die off quickly, and the average lifespan is into the 70's rather than the 40's.

Also notice I said "support", not "cushioning". You don't need tons of cushioning, but unless you won the genetic lottery you're a mere mortal like me and you need anatomical support. Thankfully that you can get from an insole, Sole and Superfeet being two of the best since they're actually firm and supportive rather than just squishy cushioning.

20. Gretsch308

Gretsch308 Loaded Pockets

The toughest sneakers are having multiple sets of sneakers. I have about 4-5 pair that I rotate and wear. I have not bought sneakers in a while. They are all skate shoes too. I have a pair for doing stuff outside. I don't care if they get beat up. Then a couple pairs that are in really good condition. Then a pair that still look ok but are getting beat up. Those will turn into the beater sneaks eventually. I do the same with my boots.

powerring likes this.