1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Touched by the Economy

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by hovaczech, Jun 12, 2009.

?

How has your job been by the current economic conditions?

1. I have taken a pay cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have taken rolling layoff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have been "temporarily" laid off

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My position/department has been cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. My employeer closed the doors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. So far so good (knock on wood option)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Not a bright and cheery topic, but you know, sometimes all it takes to make you feel better about your problems is realizing your not alone.
    :lurk:
    After you answer the poll, take a minute to comment on what changes you have had to make and what field of industry you work(ed) in. Thanks for contributing.

2. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I work in a small steel fanrication company in both Sales and Quality capacity. I have had to take 2-5% pay cuts in the last 6 months and lost another 15% of base salary due to comission and bonus losses. :broke:

I'm just happy everyday that I get up and still can say I have to go to work. :ty:

3. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Hang in there, Gents. It's gonna get better soon.

4. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

Headcount reductions with my company (layoffs), shift/hour changes (loss of shift premium and OT), mandatory vacation time for each quarter whether you have the hours or not. If not, then time off without pay. Equivalent to 15% pay cut.

5. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Where is the "nothing has changed . . . yet" option? And for that matter, where's a good "fingers crossed" smiley?

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I vanished with about 40% of the company.

7. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I was laid off twice in two years to the exact day by two different companies. First one was an IT distributor and they are sensitive to bad economies and took the hit early. The second one was because someone wanted a payment product the company had and bought my division to get the product. They promptly laid everyone off. Finally a year later I am working at a 60% reduction in pay. The real boot in the :censored: is my last company just landed a new contract and needed to add my position back to the roster I assumed since I was the only one who did not get picked up by another department I would be the shoe in. WRONG! I was unceremoniously informed they were going "internal" for the position.

8. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

In the last few years, I have lost my job twice. Was able to get a temp job 4 months and sadly, that was not extended. Lost my apartment and had to move in with the in-laws. My wife is sleeping in the same room she grew up in.

On the plus side, through pain, anguish over the last 6-8 months, I was able to pay off my car and several high interest debt this month. That will provide a very nice, much needed breathing space next month.

9. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Due to a lack of training... and interest...
    someone in the Gov't mismanaged my contract.

I haven't received a steady paycheck since february.

Things are looking up though... Life sends me daily reminders of that.

In the meantime if anyone is looking for some basic web-design I can accept payment in the form of EDC gear. :lolhammer:

10. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

construction is a peach.

11. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

"Hope & Change"...yippee :D

12. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Im right in it with ya bud.

13. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I...don't even know where to begin...

It won't let me vote for all of them...

14. vermeire

vermeire Loaded Pockets

I did the same thing. Only it was my folks and the room I grew up in. It's very depressing to think about being (turning) 30 and still be living with your parents. Course I've got a state job now and have been in my own house for one year today. Still have some of that high interest debt but we are getting there.

15. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

I'm really lucky, so far. I haven't lost my job and my day job is one of those that actually improves with a bad economony, auto repair and maintenance. No one can afford a new car so they fix the one thay have, but they are very selective about what they will fix. For a while it looked like the parent company was going to fold. I should have bought stock I could have tripled my money, but I couldn't afford to gamble.

16. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I 'll see if I can make that change but honestly my thoughts were a little "darker " then that when I posted this. It's been a downward slide for the last eight months and it's hard to keep one's head up after a while. I should mention alot of the positives. To the guys that mentioned their parents I tell ya my Mom has been a great help on those "short " months. Don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for her. The kids (16 Girl and 14 Boy) have also been great about not complaining about doing without and pitching in

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

In almost exactly one year's time I went from being at regional manager status to retail store clerk. Last February, my company was making huge personnel cuts, and I thought I had one of the most secure jobs in the company. My position was "dissolved", and I was sent back to store level. they offered me a manger position, and I took it. Fast forward one year later to the beginning of February this year, and I find out the the company has declared Chapter 11. Well, my store closes, and I get told that I am being transferred to another location, on April 1st of all days, but as a regular store employee. I've taken a substantial paycut as a result. But my wife had it worse than me. One week before I lost my regional manager position, she lost her job. She's been working at a women's clothing store part time up until about 2 weeks ago, when she finally found a full time position. Overall, our household income right now is only about 35% of what it was a little over a year ago. Living paycheck to paycheck isn't any fun, and we've used a considerable amount of credit to fill in the gaps when needed. But, I am thankful that we at least have something, and continue to look for better jobs in the meantime.

18. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

This was both sad and cheerful for me.

I had a great job, but I took a new job last year (prior to the market insanity), was great, lots of fun, working with friends and a boss who I knew well. 4 months later several key targets where missed (companies have way too many "directors" and not enough skilled people who innovate), 3/4 of the company got laid off, I got lucky and went in the second wave, but it was still hard.

It took about a month of hard searching and getting my name out there, but I did find a new job (which even paid me more) and I had another offer on my desk as a backup. I made sure to hit the ground running, I didn't rest until I had a new job.

The worst part is the month of having to live on savings, but still drive around for interviews, eat and support myself (rent, car, bills). The amount of money unemployment gives is a joke, and you get taxed on it.

I consider myself lucky as my job exists at almost any company, be it small, big, or somewhere in the middle, open source technology (Linux) is only helpful in the struggling economy.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I am self employed in construction so none of the poll choices really fit but the recession hit here in Spain early last year due to rampant over building ( there has been a glut of apartments here for a year now and prices have dropped drastically). Work has dried up but now I'm getting more enquiries and have just finished a prestige roof garden for a top guy in the music industry here so I'm hoping it will lead to more things as he plans to entertain on the roof garden. Let's hope the guests like it!

20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It seems that many of us are being hit by the economy very hard. I hope everyone makes it ok. The funny thing is that while being unemployed it seems I have even less time than working.