1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tops, and why do people carry them?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by BeanbagsRgreat, Jun 16, 2014.

1. BeanbagsRgreat

BeanbagsRgreat Loaded Pockets

Occasionally I see someone include a spinning top in their EDC, at first I thought it was just a random thing someone decided to carry but the more I see them the more I wonder: why? Do they have a purpose that I'm missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kikaida, JustinJ and BubbaFett like this.
  2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Its something to play with. a tactile toy for in the pocket, or on the table if you end up sitting and waiting somewhere. Anyway thats what I've been told... I understand the concept, but its not for me... I wouldn't ever carry one, EDC... maybe once in a while if I knew ahead of time I was gonna be killing a lot of boring time somewhere with a hard surface... but then I'd rather have a good book ;)

For some guys its a lucky charm kinda thing, or "bling"...

kikaida, GrayMouser, JustinJ and 2 others like this.
  4. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

to make sure you're not dreaming

cheeser, SlyFerret, Quantum and 4 others like this.
  5. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

But in the movie his wedding ring is the totem!:p

6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

ff: fiddling factor.
    Nick

JustinJ and AK Adventurer like this.
  7. BeanbagsRgreat

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was for fiddling factor. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some "technical" use that I was missing.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  8. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm pretty sure there is a rule against asking questions like that,,,, in the same section that bans questions about the need to own so many so many knives and flashlights and carry so much ironmongery with you that never gets used,,,,,,,, and ,,, hang on I've got an email,,,,,,,,,

,,,allegedly,,, I'm a bad machine and I need to undergo remedial maintenance and will be collected by a team of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[​IMG]

9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I used one once as a plumb bob.

Sent by Owl Post

10. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Interesting; where can I get one?

11. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

tooiewah and AK Adventurer like this.
  12. BeanbagsRgreat

I wasn't asking in a rude way, or making fun of the tops. I was asking to see if their was maybe some use that I wasn't aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sorry,,,, it wasn't taken in any way except as a straightforward question,,,,,, my response was made with screw-ball irony from over here in the UK where we are all slightly weird.

My view is that a lot of people collect things, cars, girlfriends, money, stuffed toys, knives, garden plants, bits of rock, scars, tattoos, pens, cigarette lighters,, ad infinitum. the drive to acquire an item or collection has nothing to do with need, usefulness or utility,,, it's often just the desire to have and to hold something,,, polish it, play with it, arrange it and photograph it, look at it and just revel in the knowledge that it is personally owned and nobody else has it.

Things that have no purpose are collected ,,, things like sea-shells, butterflies with pins stuck in or pretty pebbles but if an item has a function then the collectable value increases, makes the item more desirable and envy-able.

For instance,, there must be many knives out there which are never opened except to flick it open and shut and demonstrate the edge,,,,, which is a shame not only for the knife itself which is denied its reason for being,,,but also for the knife designer and the manufacturer and the guys who developed the high-tech metal ,,,,,, In contrast spinning tops are excellent for collectors,,,, they can by spun and played with, polished and admired,,, they easily fulfil all the parameters of their designed use without breaking, getting worn out, suing for divorce, shouting, blunting or needing new batteries. Spinning tops are people friendly

Last edited by boyo17, Jun 20, 2014
    GrayMouser, kd7dvd, Doraemon and 4 others like this.
  14. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just bought my first Top off of Flea-bay. Well, first top since I've been considered a legal adult. Ah... Regression.

There is a guy on there, and he has Titanium, Aluminum, and SS tops, all made by hand on his CNC lathe. I bought the cheapest SS one to try it out.

Now my lady can really refer to my EDC as "his toys".... 8)

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

16. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I don't know about other folks, but I carry them for fiddle factor/entertainment. i spend much of my day in a cubicle, so having a little toy to fidget with can make it a bit nicer. Here's a pic of the ones I've carried.

[​IMG]

Far left: Karas Kustoms top with a brass spindle and aluminum body. purchased from Kaufman Mercantile
    Middle: JL Lawson brass edc top
    right: Spinny doo aluminum spndle/body with steel ball bearing tip. purchased from the forum store (js burly's)
    Not pictured/incoming: JL Lawson steel top with bearing tip, Prometheus Spins top with ruby tip.

in terms of purpose, a top is for spinning and playing with. see how long you can get it to spin. spin 2 and watch them battle. it is not a tool at all, it is a toy, and the value of carrying it is in the smile it puts on my face.

Grinch and AK Adventurer like this.
  17. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Don't these mean opposite things?

18. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

CNC salesmen would love you to think that...

Jason Hui at Dark Sucks just crowdsourced a new CNC machine. In return, he made pens for the backers. During this process, he had a lot to say (much of it a bit whiny) about the modern CNC lathe technology...

(Pen in the middle...)

[​IMG]

AK Adventurer and ManVsLawn like this.
  19. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe I misread? or maybe it was more of a "personal touch" than a factory produced item?

I'm no machinist. 8)

20. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I collect slide rules. I am morally certain that I have the largest collection of slide rules between Kelowna and Corvallis. And I'm not at all sure I have fewer than those gents...

Why? BECAUSE I CAN :censored:!!!!!!1!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!11!~!