1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Top EDC watches for under $100?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by deolexrex, Sep 28, 2011.

1. OneBigAnt

OneBigAnt Loaded Pockets

TAG is one of my least favorite brands because they basically make super expensive, super fragile watches imo. I need something that can take a few punches ya know.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean, and I agree with you. Must admit though, just in terms of looks; some of those Aquaracers are stunning.

3. Bobby_C

Bobby_C Loaded Pockets

I own 2 Tags that aren't "super expensive" but some models can be. They are tougher than most watches. I'm not sure why you think they're fragile watches. I used to be very hard on watches and I usually went thru a watch every year or less so my budget was $150 or less. One of my friends talked me into getting a Tag Heuer. I think it was around $600 back in 1990 or '91. I still have it after 7 yrs of abuse. I was so impressed with Tag that I bought a Kirium after I received a nice x-mas bonus. I wore that for about 7 yrs and wanted an auto so I picked up an Omega Speedmaster Date. I currently switch between the two but usually wear the Omega since I'm not as demanding on my watches as I used to be.

Both Tags are still running perfect and I've gone diving with the Kirium a few times. I don't know about the current models but the 2 that I have are bulletproof and accurate.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Main issue for me are the crowns. A recent topic on a dedicated watch forum brought out several members who had issues with the crowns on their TAG Heuer watches. Mainly the Aquaracer line. But TAGs in general as well.

They used to be better years ago. But after going upscale, TAG Heuer has let things slip lately.

5. Bobby_C

Bobby_C Loaded Pockets

Interesting. My newest Tag (Kirium) is about 12 yrs old and is bulletproof. I just had new batteries installed on both Tags last year.

Edit: Never had any issues with either watch.

6. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

I have had a Tag 1500 since 1992 and have worn it virtually every day since - in the ocean countless times, in numerous engine compartments and been on my wrist through every dirty, greasy, impacting adventure I participate in. It has had four batteries and no other repair work ever needed. Not a scratch on the sapphire crystal, excellent wearing bracelet and deployment. I do not baby this watch in any way.

In 2004 I got a Tag Carrera automatic and while I havent been as abusive with it, it has also held up perfectly with some occasional edc use and also shows virtually no scratches or wear.

7. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Last I looked, they were using Chinese movements, and quality was hit or miss. Personally I'd look for something from Seiko or Citizen in that same price range. They both have models with similar styling.

9. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

10. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

I really like the black Invicta (0764 II) shown "customers who viewed this item also viewed" area.
    http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0764-Collection-Black-Leather/dp/B004GVRRMI/ref=pd_sbs_watch3

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

12. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Because of this thread I got that watch aswell. Mine is the sticker type and took me awhile to get it to stop trying to teach me spanish.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to get in contact with Citizen to see if they do indeed use stickers on the back of that particular model. I'm thinking the sticker variation might be their factory 2nds or even fakes. Will keep you guys posted when I hear back from Citizen.

14. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

15. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Disregard my post, there is not a sticker on the back and the info is lightly emblazoned on the metal case back.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the clarification.

17. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

i know i posted a link to amazon in this thread. some people on another forum i frequent have had issues with fradulent purchases after using amazon lately. not sure if its a coincidence or what. obviously be alert after using any online retailer but i would look extra close after amazon.

18. twinwillows

twinwillows Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking seriously about picking up a 5.. I've not heard anyone complain that has one.

19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I hope to get a Seiko 5 and an Eco-Drive, just need an income soon.

20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

As long as the watch fits your style, you can't go wrong with either.

ran23 likes this.