1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Top EDC watches for under $100?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by deolexrex, Sep 28, 2011.

1. YLR2312

YLR2312 Loaded Pockets

I don't own one yet but the Vostok Amphibia is under 100 (I've seen it in the $70 range) and they use some interesting design methods for waterproofing; they're supposed to be waterproof to 200m. Also you can't beat that cool Russian look :)

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Orient Mako.

Black, shimmering blue, yellow, orange, blue with Pepsi-style bezel, and very rare Limited Edition White. (The colors refer to the dials.)

Meets all of your criteria. The black in particular is one of those rare watches that (depending on the strap) can literally fit in regardless of the occasion. Even very formal ones. The watch doesn't hack. But that's not going to be an issue based on what you've listed. Orient's standard Mako line is known for very good accuracy among non-COSC watches. An excellent bargain at just under $100 on Amazon, especially considering what you get. There are a few youtube review vids on the Mako line which I've found to be generally spot-on.

Just wanted to add, Orient is based in Japan. And, the company uses their own In-House automatic movement for the Mako models.

3. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  4. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have read on the internet..and the internet is never wrong....;D that 100m water resistance isn't as tight as it sounds. If 100m is good enough for you I am sure it should be fine more me too then. Right now I wear a Cardinal watch or a Timex Ironman sleek but I want to wear a nicer looking watch that I can wear constantly. I don't trust the cardinal for swimming/showering. In light wear like this I have killed a Wenger Field Watch and a watch branded Hi-Tech that was an analog/digital hybrid. I really liked that watch but I am not sure if it was a re-brand of another company or its own brand.

5. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Checking out the Mako now. to the OP, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread but we are still relatively on topic

6. bunnywunny1

bunnywunny1 Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with a G-Shock, wear mine everyday to work!

7. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

My vote for the automatic seiko 5 series.
    [​IMG]

Automatic watches:
    +automatic watches are repairable, full mechanic. If you want to keep it for your childeren, automatic is the best way. I dont thing there is a chance for that with a quartzwatch (probably)
    +glassback shows you the inner movement.

-not that accurate like quartzwatches, mine has 15sec a week, so need regulating from time to time
    -be aware of strong magnets or shocks
    -thicker shape

Quartzwatches:
    +thinner cases
    +perhaps 15sec inaccuraty in a whole year
    +mostly shock- and magnetproof

why i have a automatic? Its good to have something that will last many years (my cheap quartz from my teenageyears doesnt work right)

8. Breck

Breck Empty Pockets

Seconded. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Many options under $100. Mine's accurate enough that I never notice it going off-time, even after several weeks of wear.

jdcovington1122 likes this.
  9. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

At this point in my life I think I prefer a watch I don't have to think about. I once heard someone say that if you are going to treat a handgun like you treat your lawnmower than buy a Glock. Now, I know that folks are gonna say, "well, G-shock is the only way to go!" but I'm looking for something that is a little classier looking than the Casio.

So, I'm thinking something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180-03E-Eco-Drive-Canvas-Strap/dp/B000EQS1JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IENUCJ5RRPH2P&colid=23IUZHYKK2J0O

10. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

I would like to extend a Big "Thank You" to those who have replied. I really do appreciate the help.

11. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

i understand that. Owning some quartzwatches, besides my automatic seiko 5, im happy that i dont need to look at them; if they are running, they have the right time.
    dont forget to upload pictures when got your favorite watch:)

12. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

I mean, I appreciate the concept of buying something that I can hand down to one of my sons but I didn't think an entry level watch purchase was going to rise to that level. Of course, I've been wrong before...

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It's ironic. I collect a number of different items. Unlike knives and flashlights, when it comes to watches, you honestly don't get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay too much for a fragile watch. Sometimes you get a great deal of value for your money. Depends on the brand, and sometimes the model.

14. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Hey some other suggestions :

Some Bertucci watches are under $100 on Ebay and Amazon. They have classy field watch look, swiss quart movement, titanium cases, fixed lugs like military issue watches and are great on Nato. See here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dwatches&field-keywords=bertucci

Bulova also has a reedition of their model from WWII : http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A102-Canvas-Strap-Watch/dp/B0018ANABW/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1318150524&sr=8-25 (except that it is quartz)

15. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

Oh great, just when I thought I had my choice narrowed down to one you have to post a link to the Bertucci's. I love the idea of the fixed lugs!

16. M-14

M-14 Loaded Pockets

I used to have a bad 'watch' fix, but for the past few years I've been very happy to wear this every day: Timex Flix Ironman

17. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

Love the rifle!

18. doomtroll

doomtroll Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

this guy was only $90

brentizzle likes this.
  19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

That AMW330-7AV Casio is a good value for anyone looking for a chrono diver's style watch. TAG Heuer makes a similar model with an automatic movement, costing thousands. Other than the movement, no real difference between the two. Perfect example of how you don't always get what you pay for, when it comes to watches.

20. np3ba

np3ba Loaded Pockets