1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Top EDC watches for under $100?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by deolexrex, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

If you can wait another month, here's something fresh from FB: GW-4000

The orange trim looks very good. :censored: you, G-Shock...

No price yet, not sure if it fits your $100 limit. If it does, I'm diving for it as well ;D

2. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Some suggestions :

- Seiko 5 Military : nice looking not real military, but classy flieger style automatic watch, 50$ on ebay
    - Vostok Komandirskie : russian style mechanical watch, lot of personnality and a real military background (were issued). The tank version is black. 50$
    - G10 watches from CWC. Real issue military watches from UK (occasions can be found under 100$)
    - Pulsar PJN305X1. Civil version of the issue chronograph of the RAF

3. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

i've been plotting on this, it can be found under or right at 100 alot of places online.

its a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

alot of reviews say the band is a little small but the watch its self is great, bands arent hard to come by, though. GL!

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Happy to help you spend your money. ;)

Just a couple of more interesting points. While unknown to the public in America, Orient (Japanese company) is sold in 70 nations around the world. Also, unlike some luxury brands that cost thousands of dollars, the Mako line uses an automatic movement that is made in-house! That right there makes the Mako line a screaming good deal. Some luxury brands simply buy their movements from ETA and then just tweak them a bit.

5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I would certainly agree, and add my recommendations to those you have already gotten to consider an Orient, or something from the Seiko 5 series.

A Seiko Monster is probably a stretch for your budget listed above, but would be well worth it in terms of value, too....

6. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

So, am I correct in my understanding to stay away from Timex? (since no one has mentioned them)

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Timex is still an excellent value. But there are others, such as the Orient Mako and some Seiko 5 models, that are better values. Plus, those feature automatic movements. If what you want is quartz, Timex is overall a good choice.

8. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

I don't own any Timex but the brand has good reputation enough and some models are even Nato approved and NASA approved : T45181 (has an NSN number) T84601 (has an NSN number) 78041 (NASA approved).

Another suggestion : Traser P5900 : black, tritium, military and under $100 on ebay.

9. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

10. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

That GW-4000 looks AMAZING. A lot like the top line Edifice which is $500. If it is anywhere near $100 I'll get one.

I have an Invicta Diver automatic and cannot recommend it based on my experience. Uses a Citizen movement. I've missed enough meetings that when I wear it, I consider it a fashion accessory and check time on my phone. My EDC watch is a Seiko alarm chronograph. $325 when I bought it, but $110 from Costco.

11. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

12. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

One plus for the 5. It's the only auto that you forget is on your wrist. It is a great watch for the price. I picked mine up for 55 bucks shipped. P.S. the size is on the small side.[​IMG]

13. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

Boo Yah! I love it! and im sure GH will go for the TOXIC GREEN! :)

14. deolexrex

deolexrex Empty Pockets

Ok, I think I have it narrowed down to two. The Citizen Eco-Drive or the Seiko 5.

Which one has a smaller face?

15. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

There is no one Eco-Drive or one 5. There are MANY.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=seiko+5&x=0&y=0

Personally I'd really think about the 5 over the Eco-Drive, not because Citizen doesn't make great watches (they do make great watches) but because a Seiko 5 is an automatic... and you've probably never had the pleasure of an automatic movement. In many more words than this, most people describe an automatic watch as being almost alive.

17. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Yes, an mechanical watch is more like a machine that you're in control of instead of an appliance you merely use. You wind it, manually or automatically, and it gains or loses time, and needs some watching over, and will require maintenance. But, despite all of these "drawbacks" the sophistication and elegance is worth it. Just listen to one tick and you'll see what I mean.

But again, if you want a practical watch, go quartz all the way. I also have a GShock and a Timex Expedition that are both quartz that I love.

18. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have been looking for a new watch myself lately. The Seiko 5 looks like a great watch and has many good reviews on Amazon across the models. I haven't had luck finding many over 100m water resistance. My Google-Fu hasn't been the greatest lately. Anyone know which models are over 100m water resistance?

Key Features:

Over 100M water resistance. Will be worn swimming, showering etc
    Day and Date

19. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Why do you feel you need more than a 100m water resistance for swimming and showering? My 100m rated Seiko 5 has done plenty of both. You can step up to something like the Seiko SKX007 which has a 200m rating. It uses the same movement as the 5s (7S26, 7S36) bit will jump you up to $160-$200 depending on bracelet/strap choice.

20. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I have had good luck with Invicta's lot's of choices for under a 100.00 I have a Sport Python now cronograph that is by far my favorite watch I own it was closer to 160.00 though.

I also like Skagen they both have some very nice watches for less than 100.00 .