1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Toolkit as alternative for multi-tool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jeroen94704, Jun 17, 2010.

1. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Nice setup GH what organizer are you using?

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thanks ,) There is a link on this thread, Post #16 ..

BE WELL .. GH

3. sublimepatriot1776

sublimepatriot1776 Empty Pockets

Always thought a dedicated tool kit was better for a BOB or GHB, but multitools were better for EDC.

4. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

There are no 'rules' for EDC and if you walked in my shoes for a day or two it would become evident why I carry more than a multitool .
    For me in all practical applications, BOB or GHB = EDC .

BE WELL .. GH

5. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

:crackup:
    So you're the guy that walks all humped over with large pack!lol

6. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

HAHAHA ! A Comedian in the midst ,) You should come and tryout for my show ? ,)

BE WELL .. GH

7. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

So, as a final update, here's what I did.

I ended up buying a Leatherman Surge, because it was on sale with the LM bit-set and belt-clip included for a very good price. The Surge is huge, for a multitool, but it gives me pretty much all the functionality I need, including a couple of decent sized blades and a pair of usable scissors. Now all I'm looking for is a good, compact driver for the LM bits to get into narrow places where the Surge doesn't fit, and perhaps a mini-prybar, and I am confident I can take on pretty much anything I may encounter unexpectedly.

Next, I plan on developing some jumbo-main-compartment-sized containers with stuff optimized for specific tasks. So for example a box with network-admin gear that I can simply slide in the bag and be confident I have everything I need with me.

Jeroen

8. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Good call, Try looking at believe it or not fishing tackle storage boxes and whatnot .. Here's a starter link >>www.basspro.com

BE WELL .. GH

9. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

It's still a work in progress, like all things EDC tend to be, but…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This started in a CountyComm Diplomat Pocket Organizer, but a lot of things didn't fit well in the stock elastic loops, and I pretty much ruined it removing some stitching to make some :censored: 'uns outta smaller 'uns. So I bit the bullet and went with the Maxpedition. Those double loops in the Maxpud make a HUGE difference in flexibility.

Up until a week ago, I realized that I'd crammed way too much stuff in there; dang thing weighed over two pounds by itself, and I really noticed the weight when carrying it in my EDC "Suburban Assault Bag".

So I pared it down pretty brutally; rather than try to make it a stand-alone tool kit, it's a support kit for my multitools. It's not obvious in the photo, but things are arranged so that they lay very flat when closed; the whole enchilada is only about an inch thick, believe it or not, and it weighs less than a pound now. BIG difference on my shoulder.

Left Side:
    • Husky Precision Driver sets, one with eight assorted slotted & phillip tips, one with eight Torx T6 through T15; these get a LOT of use on knives, lights, electronics, etc.
    • Leatherman Kick/Fuse/Blase Bit Adapter and Bit Kit. I modified my LM Charge by replacing the stoopid stubby bit holders with the long, sturdy phillips and long medium slotted driver from a busted LM Kick. Turns out the square end of the bit adapter also fits pretty well onto the phillips driver on my Vic SwissTool Spirit, Vic WorkChamp, LM Juice, etc. so that bit kit gets a lot of use. If I think I might need 'em, I have a second bit holder with hex and Robertson bits, which can fit behind that one, albeit very snuggly, which is why it's not there all the time.
    • Latshaw PocketWrench, secured with the key lanyard since it likes to slip outta there.
    • 6" carpenters pocket rule, imperial down to 64ths, metric down to 0.5mm
    • Tweezers, long enough to fit lock rings in flashlight tailcaps
    • CountyComm Universal Cleaning Stick, orange
    • Apple "Black Stick", antistatic probe thingie that's handy for electronics work
    • Missing: there's usually a CountyComm SO-LED clip light clipped to the MaxP label, I was using it somewhere…

Right Side:
    • Generic mini pry bar / nail remover, handy for lending to troglodytes who would otherwise use a knife
    • DMT DuoFold diamond sharpener, Fine/Extra, good for touch-ups
    • Lee Valley Oiler Pen, filled with INOX food-safe lubricating oil
    • Hemostat, curved, gets used a lot for knotwork, handy when the twqeezers aren't enough but pliers are too much
    • Flat-wrapped electrical tape
    • Flat-wrapped yellow 3M duct tape
    • Sawzall metal-cutting blade, shank modified to fit the pocket-clip slot in LM Wave or Charge. Not my work, a guy on KF did a few, I did some field testing for him, don't think he ever made too many of these
    • In the pocket: Rite-in-the-Rain 3"x5" notebook and Zebra collapsible pen

No shown, carried elsewhere in the SAB:
    • Stanley 10" tape measure, the sweet compact one with the ¼" tape that they sadly don't make anymore
    • 3x magnifier
    • coiled lanyard for securing tools over water or heights or people's noggins
    • Ronson JetLite butane lighter (don't smoke, I use mostly it for knotwork)

WillAdams likes this.