1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Toolkit as alternative for multi-tool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jeroen94704, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Who here carries a small toolkit as an alternative to a multi-tool? In my experience, multi-tools can do a large number of things, but all of them not very well.

For this reason I am thinking of getting a decent folding knife, and a small set of compact tools that should, to some extent at least, replicate the functionality of a multi-tool.

Ideally, what I would like to have (in order of decreasing importance) is:

- Screwdriver with bits (Flat, Phillips, Torx)
    - Needlenose pliers
    - Regular pliers
    - Wire cutter
    - Wire stripper
    - Bottle opener
    - Can opener
    - Saw
    - File

Does anyone have tips for high quality versions of these tools, or whether this is a good idea at all?

The toolkit would be carried in a Maxpedition EDC organizer.

Thanks,

Jeroen

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I always figured multitools were designed as 'jack of all' alternatives to proper toolkits - sure they aren't as good as dedicated tools, but they are a lot easier to carry about...

As to whether it is a good idea, it depends on how much you need the tools. If you feel a multitool is not up to the task, then you are going to be looking at the larger and more solid tools, in which case even a very basic toolkit with a pair of pliers and a couple of screwdrivers is going to be a lot heavier and more bulky than a multitool, which doesn't count all the extra tools like blades, saws, etc... You can buy smaller equivalent tools like small bit drivers instead of screwdrivers and light weight pliers, but even then you are going to end up with more bulk and not much bonus in quality over a good tool.
    It does depend on how much you use it too, for occasional use a multitool will probably do the job especially considering the size, on the other hand if you are a tradesman, then the extra abilities of a full toolkit would be worth the extra hassle.

One alternative would be a bit of a mix and match approach - carrying a multitool alongside a few specific and commonly used tools will mean you have the pieces you need most regularly, plus the multitool as a backup for the other jobs.

The other thought would be what multitool(s) do you use at the moment? If you are used to a lighter weight tool like a Leatherman kick or one of the many off brand versions, then you will notice a huge difference in stepping up to something like a swisstool or wave, let alone something like a supertool 300.

3. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, I carry both. Multi-tools are the "jacks-of-all-trades" as noted above, can do about everything, but really good at nothing. My toolkit consists of a Husky t-handle ractcheting screw/socket set (has about 14 sockets and at least 20 screwdriver heads), very small vise grip, channel lock goose neck, wire cutter and needle nose pliers, 8" stanley nail-puller/wedge (called a baseboard edge, but quite robust), small utllity knife, metric/SAE allen wrenches, small cresent wrench and a small 10' tape. It all goes - with a lot of room to spare - in one of LA Police Gear's neatfreak ripoffs. My multi-tool - a leatherman new wave - handles small filing and sawing chores along with whatever wire stripping, knife cutting or sissors cutting tasks that come up. The only shortcoming that's obvious to me is that anything that needs more robust torking than the socket/screwdriver set can provide is undoable without my fullsize tool kit.

4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

For me it varies wildly based on what I'm up to. If I'm out and about, I may only have an LM P4 on my person, or I might have an LM ST300. My laptop bag holds an pre-2004 LM Wave, a silent ratcheting screwdriver with a number of bits, and a small precision screwdriver, also with a number of bits. My BOB (normally in my car) has a post-2004 LM Wave with all of the screwdriver bits that Leatherman makes for it and a Pocket Widgy. I have a compact socket set, a powered screwdriver and a kit with every security bit known to Man in my car. If I know I'll need specific tools I'll bring 'em with me.

With regard to a screwdriver, my silent ratcheting screwdriver from Techni-Tool has served me exceptionally well in the face of many years of use and abuse. For needlenose pliers, Stanley and Klein make really nice ones, although I've had good fortune with the generic spring-loaded kind too. For regular pliers, I have at least seven or eight pairs in various sizes and shapes; if I'm going to carry just one pair without a specific purpose in mind, I'm back to an LM Wave or ST300. I use wire cutters to strip wires; I was taught to do it that way thirty years ago and I'll be damned if I'll learn a new way now. For opening bottles and cans, unless I'm going to do a lot of that a multitool does it fine. For sawing and fileing, unless I know what exactly I'm working on so that I can have exactly the right tool with me, again I'm with a Leatherman.

5. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I carry a small toolkit as a supplement to a multitool, not instead of. I can't justify the weight of full-size tools for EDC, sorry.

I used to carry an original Leatherman PST as my go-to tool; I later upgraded to the original Wave when it came out, then moved up to a Charge Ti with the bit kit.

As you might notice, each generation is significantly heavier than the last; I eventually realized that the Charge + sheath + bit kit was really a drag on my belt, so I decided to scale back to either a PST-II or Juice (and I've ordered a Squirt PS4 for even lighter carry!).

But I missed the utility of the Charge set-up, so I started carrying it in my "Suburban Assault Bag". But then I found I often needed precision drivers, so I added the Husky torx and flat/phillips bit drivers… and my DMT Diafold sharpener is sure handy to have for blade touch-ups… and sturdy tweezers were handy for retaining rings in my flashlights… and a flat-wrapped bit of duct tape is always handy to have… and that small CountyComm prybar keeps me from ruining my knives and screwdrivers…

Classic "creeping featuritis" at work.

When I got tired of my briefcase rattling like I was smuggling silverware, I stuffed all the tools in CountyComm BDU Pocket Organizer (or whatever they call their version). It's easier to find the tools I need, weighs only about as much as a medium-sized pair of pliers, but adds a lot of utility to my core tool, the Charge. And since it's all in my bag, the whole shebang doesn't drag my pants down.

6. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Thanks for the feedback. Many good thoughts in all your replies.

My current EDC tools are a Victorinox SAK (almost identical to the "Soldatenmesser 08") and a LT Squirt E4. You'll notice there's no pliers to speak of (The Squirt is primarily a wirestripper), and no bit-set. This is why I am looking for something else, and since I recently moved to a Maxped Jumbo for my EDC, I figured I have some room to spare for tools :).

However, after mulling over your replies, I think the best option is to go for the hybrid approach: Get a decent multi-tool (LT Fuse Knifeless, for example), and add a few specialized tools as needed (folding knife, microbit set, maybe a pry-bar (good idea gryffin!)). That should pretty much cover the jobs I use this stuff for.

Jeroen

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i dont really like multi tools.. i have a gerber 600 i beleive but i use it mainly for the pliers... generally i carry a keyring of key tools slot and phillips a tweezer. prybar ,whistle and bottle opener ,,,if i do bag carry then my multitool comes along. or if i know i will need the gerber i do a belt carry

i have often thought about making a small roll-up. with a small pliers (ignion pliers) two pocket screw drivers or a pocket multi tip driver. i edc a knife already ,,just a few pocket sized tools no more that 5inches tall. more in the 4 inch size.. but as of now its just a thought

8. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I carry both and more cuz I'm a little particular about being prepared :crazy2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BE WELL .. GH

9. The7thNazgul

The7thNazgul Loaded Pockets

Have you posted the contents of that organizer? If so, where?

10. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Not yet, I'm still working on getting it 'right' I'll post it on >>THIS THREAD<< when I do ,)

BE WELL .. GH

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Duuuuuude! I wanna be you when I grow up! O0

12. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

HaHa ! Well , for starters we have the same name ,) Now I have to list the contents .. This will take a while ......

BE WELL .. GH

13. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

I'm in the same boat. I am still trying to pull together a kit that I am willing to carry around every day. I actually need two loads, one for EDC and one for work (unless I get it small enough that I will EDC the same kit). I find multitools to be way too much of a compromise and I don't need the majority of the tools on them. On the average multitool, I would only use the pliers/wire cutters and the screwdrivers.

Tom

14. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I tried the same thing to no avail ..
    This is the Main kit so far and there are a few sub kits depending on the task .. They are all EDC, all the time .
    I'll try to make a list of content in this one (revised) and the others soon on my 'EDC revised thread' ..
    As for a multi tool, It's very useful for 'Need it now !' applications but honestly the only reason I have such a fancy one is that it was a gift ,0 !

BE WELL .. GH

15. Helstar

Helstar Loaded Pockets

What bag is that. I think that is what I have been looking for!!!!!

16. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Heres the link >>Condor MOLLE T&T Pouch

I'm ordering another one soon ,)

BE WELL .. GH

17. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

18. Badger4590

Badger4590 Empty Pockets

What is the case used for the pictured kit?

Update: Saw a second page of posts and got the information. I am still rummaging through the forum; I just joined. Take care.

Bob

19. The7thNazgul

The7thNazgul Loaded Pockets

20. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thank you, Glad to help .. I'm downsizing right now but this organizer will always be a part of the kit ,)

BE WELL .. GH