1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

Better have something, and do not need, than need something and do not have it!
    Is that too much? Don´t think so.
    [​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Chris

2. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

What, no grappling hook or fire pistons for making fire? How about some water filtration units or a shovel or machete? I don't see 100 yards of paracord or duct tape either. Don't you need to have several backup flashlights as well? Isn't it better to have it and not need it?

The thing is, you can apply that logic to just about everything. So where does it end? You might as well carry your house with you.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Fredrik Johansson

Fredrik Johansson Empty Pockets

I once read about a guy who said; "the more I know the less I need to carry". I have tried to live by that standard but in the end I just like to be prepared like; "it's better to have it and not need it rather than needing it and not having it"..

Moshe ben David and charlie fox like this.
  4. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Exactly. If I can carry it, I can carry it. And if I can't carry it anymore, I can drop it. :)
    PS: This is much more related to a GHB though ...

5. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

The more you know, what you carry changes and your capabilities increase. You could probably do the same with less, but why not do more with MORE?!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

The knowledge to get by with less can't be replaced by a heavy load, but carrying items that see regular use, whether for need, comfort, or convenience, aren't bad in and of themselves. It's all personal choice once the item leaves "need" and become a comfort or convenience item.

On the other hand, some of us are burdened by a desire for gadgets. Before I retired, my co-workers knew to come to me if the needed a tool they didn't have with them.

Moshe ben David and Colt Seavers like this.
  7. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I say more is better. Every time I reduce the amount of stuff that I carry, I end up needing something that I would normally have, but suddenly i'm missing. My theory is, carry a ton of stuff and you will never have to go looking for it when you need it. I carry everything you see below on a daily basis and I'm pretty much prepared for anything.

[​IMG]

MedusaOblongata and Colt Seavers like this.
  8. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Knowledge weighs nothing.

313 and Codeman like this.
  9. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

You know, before I used to be THAT GUY, the guy people came to when they needed to use a tool they didn't have. Then I came to realize that I was just carrying the tools FOR THEM, just to please them because they were just too :censored: lazy to carry stuff themselves. Then I said to heck with this, I'm not carrying gear for other people who refuse to carry for themselves because they think they can just come to me. I was done being taken advantage of.

To me, there's a difference between helping people who really need it once in a while and being a pack mule for lazy people.

10. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I understand what you're saying, but it was never being taken advantage of for me. If someone kept needing something, it was easy enough to suggest they get whatever it was they were borrowing. And the only ones who I let borrow items were trustworthy. We just had different situations.

Colt Seavers likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Nice. Out of curiosity how do you carry all of that? What I assuming would be in some sort of bag and what would be on person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus™ and Colt Seavers like this.
  12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

no, no bag required. Everything is carried in a pocket on my cargo shorts/pants out on my belt.

The style cs clips onto the ring of my duct tape spool, which clips onto one of several caribiners i keep on my belt. My water bottle also clips on my belt.

The little caribiner/flashlight/whistle is on my belt, as is my Leatherman surge sheath. The sharpie mini and precision screwdriver go in the side loops of the surge sheath.

All other items go in my pockets.

13. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Understood. For me, I worked at a place before where one of my coworkers was always asking to borrow my knife, so I asked him why doesn't he buy one of his own? His reply? "Why should I buy a knife when I can just borrow yours?" That kind of did it for me, I told him to buy his own and he did.

With that said, I would say there are different types of people. Some will either be inspired to buy their own gear because of what you have, or they will just mooch off of you and won't buy or carry their own gear because they know they can just borrow it from you.

Last edited by kikaida, Sep 15, 2016
  14. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'd call :censored: on that person as well.

Now, I'm gonna have to get back on topic, else I'll be moderating myself!

Just so severdhed doesn't feel alone, I actually counted everything I carry a few months back. When I include everything, even clothing items (they do have other uses), my count came to 167. Except for my pistol, nothing was on my belt nor do I use any pouch. I didn't do this before I started wearing cargo pants. Now, I've added a 16 pocket vest. I'm doomed.

But hey, someone has to be the anti-example for

15. Torque

Torque Loaded Pockets

My basic rule of EDC is, daily carry only what doesn't overburden you. Also if you are into preparing for a S.H.T.F. scenario, stage your gear (ie., what you need to get from where you are to your vehicle, then what you need to get from your vehicle to home, then from home to wilderness, etc.)

Gary Gross and Redneck Bear like this.
  16. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Yeah, my rule is carry what you're going to use regularly, everything else can go in the car. My pocket carry consists of a small knife and flashlight, bandanna, ChapStick, wallet ,phone and keys, adding a pen, badge, and small field notes book at work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Redneck Bear like this.
  17. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Apparently I carry too much gear for my job.
    Let me elaborate. I recently posted my edc on another website and they elected it to be one of their 'staff picks' article, the amount of negativity I've read so far is incredible. In my post I mentioned that it was a pic of my on person and in a pack edc. Now, I work in banking and people respond with "why would a banker need a knife, let alone three or four?". In the picture there's an Ontario rat 1, lm wave, lm surge, victorinox cadet, and a Kershaw amplitude 2.5. Of course I'm not going to carry that in my suit, the picture clearly shows a Maxpedition mini, but oh no, the Internet trolls know best.
    Is it too much? Probably. Do I use every single one of them in the course of a week? Absolutely

Sorry, rant over

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

313 and Redneck Bear like this.
  18. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I will never understand what purpose feedback like that serves. Why for f's sake would anyone make their business what someone else chooses to have on their person? The point of those posts is to display your EDC, not a call for review. Negative comments in such a context are totally useless. Do they actually expect you to change your habits based on their opinions? Sigh.

No, it's not too much. There are no rules and no definition for 'too much'. You carry what you want to, not what someone else expects you to.

Gary Gross and Redneck Bear like this.
  19. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Thank you. I always viewed the edc community as helpful but lately it seems to be getting very judgemental, except for here of course, edcforums seems to be the last place of edd (everyday decency).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

20. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Wow you must look like a Christmas tree.