1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

I was wearing boardshorts today around the house. Still had a sak and my phone in the single tiny pocket. Used the sak 4 times and had to use the phone as a torch twice .. made me miss my regular carry.
    Most people think an 18650 based torch is overkill for edc. But I sure do miss it when I wear pants that dont take a belt.
    Probably would have used a multi tool as well for some of the lighter stuff, could have done with pointy nosed pliers if I had the pockets or belt for it but was mostly working with stuff to heavy for edc tools so made do with full sized pliers and bolt cutters even on the little stuff.

2. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'd rather be over-prepared then under-prepared. I believe in backups for a few essential items. I always carry 2 out of the 3: knife, MT, SAK. Lately its been a SAK + MT. Which means I always have 2 cutting tools with me. I have a small AA flashlight in my pocket (or laptop backpack) + AAA keychain flashlight.

I do find it funny how some folks carry 3 knives in pockets + neck knife + credit card knife + keychain knife. That is a little too much for me.

Plus he/she who dies with the most toys wins. I won't win first place but I'll be damned if I'm coming in last. :D

3. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

The title is the problem! When you need it and dont have it! Like flashlight during the day, happened to me....

NIckakawoodstock likes this.
  4. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

I admit that I probably carry more on a daily basis than the average person. I work 15 miles from home, If me and my wife go into town then it is a 20miles hike back to our home. She has her own bag as well that is nearly identical, just a few things that she changed to further fit her.

On Body:

Glock 19 in a Whitehat Holsters Maxtuck
    Olight S30R Javelot or Fenix PD25
    Kershaw Cryo or Kershaw Shuffle 2
    SOG Instinct or Kabar TDI Large
    Kobra Kydex Card Wallet or the SS one I made myself
    Normal Bifold Wallet
    Iphone 6

In My bag is where the Overkill honestly starts.

My EDC Bag is a Vanquest Javelin 2.0
    Contents:
    Weapon:
    2 Spare Glock 19 Magazines
    Gerber Strongarm
    Escape/Evasion Kit
    3 sets of quick restraints
    Lock Pick Set
    EZ Decoders
    8" Pry Bar
    Handcuff Key
    Survival
    Electric Flare
    SOL Bivvy
    Bushnell TRKR 250L Flashlight
    Small Tarp
    Bushnell TRKR 200L Headlamp
    Small Camp knife
    Kershaw Spork
    Bic Lighter
    UST Strike Force fire steel
    Typical useful things
    Notebook
    Sharpie
    Pen
    Mechanical Pencil
    Extra led for pencil
    6" Ruler
    First Aid (Not complete yet, but i'll include everything that will be in it)
    Vanquest Fatpack 7x10
    All your typical bandaids
    2x2 Gauze
    3x3 Gauze
    Moleskin
    Elastic Bandage
    Splinter/Tick Forceps
    Tylenol
    After Bite Wipes
    Antihistamine
    Aspirin
    Ibuprofen
    Wetones
    Paper Tape
    Latex Free 3m Tape
    Triple Antibiotic Ointment
    2x Nitrile Gloves
    CPR Shield
    Iodine Wipes
    Tampon
    Burn Gel
    Steri Strips
    Ammonia Inhalant
    Sam Spint Kit
    CAT Tourniquet
    Swat-T Tourniquet
    Leatherman Raptor
    Celox Rapid Ribbon
    Emergency Blanket
    Oral Rehydration tablets
    Glucose Tablets
    Israeli Bandage
    Abdominal Gauze
    Hyfin Chest Seal
    Compressed sterile gauze
    Celox Granules
    Bic Lighter
    Bug Spray
    Food
    2400 Calorie Ration Bars
    Sawyer Mini Water Filter
    Communication
    MyCharge 6000MAH Battery Backup
    Micro USB Cable
    Lightning Cable
    Misc.
    Mechanics Gloves
    Baseball Cap
    Respirators x2
    Pack of Bandannas
    Tools
    100ft 550 Paracord
    Nite Ize Figure 9 Carabiners x3
    Bic Lighter
    Smiths Mini Knife Sharpner
    Electrical Tape
    Razor Blades
    Adjustable Wrench/Saw Combo
    Telescopic Magnet
    Kobalt Racheting Pocket Screwdriver w/ Bit Kit
    Leatherman Wave
    Zip Ties

F-Bobby likes this.
  5. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

:censored:, thats a lotta stuff put into a Javelin. Do you happen to have an EDC thread up so I can see how ya have it all configured?

6. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

I do not, but I will start working on one for you now! It's honestly all in the organization. Everything is configured in their own organized pouch, except for the Prybar and Strongarm which are slid into the sides of the bag.

7. Coolbreeze135

Coolbreeze135 Empty Pockets

My EDC bag is pretty loaded. 2 lighters, various pens and pencils, duct tape, first aid kit, leatherman, power pack, small tools, extra batteries, a larger flashlight, etc...

As long as I have a bag nearby, I may as well have useful stuff in it. However, on my person, I don't carry a ton: wallet, keys, knife, pen, micro flashlight.

I don't really get the people who carry 3 knives at a time, but to each their own.

Tony Sal likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm one of those who routinely have 3 knives/blades on me. Usually consisting of a primary knife (which on an given day may be a single or multi bladed knife), a complementing knife (by which I mean if my primary is a PE, the complementing one is a SE) usually in my watch pocket, and the blade on my LM Squirt PS4 which simply lives on my keys. The main thing for me is that I like always having both a PE and a SE with me...

Moshe ben David

9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Every month or so my EDC list gets smaller and smaller.

Knife
    Phone/wallet
    Keychain/flashlight

That's it...

I like to keep stuff in my backpack, but mostly it's pens, leatherman, batteries, med kit, extra socks, and sunglasses.

kikaida and soundlessnut like this.
  10. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

My edc is pretty basic. Wallet, phone, keys (no doodads, except for the key fob for my gym), Manbug, probably another knife, a miniGrip today, Fenix e01, Burt's bees, Gshock, and bandana.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I have everything and carry nothing, EDC psychosis!
    Changes daily- slip wallet, SAK
    Or- just the 1/2 pound keychain tool rig! Lol

313 and Redneck Bear like this.
  12. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Too much? Putting work, fire fighting and uni aside - what I EDC is in proportion to where I am going and what I am doing.

If I am travelling to the state capital by train, which is twice a month, I will carry enough to allow me to get home with a degree of comfort if I had to walk. 200 kilometer trip. I don't carry a knife but a multitool. Food is only ever a couple of energy bars. I also carry a small street map of the CBD and a train schedule. This goes in my Rush 12 along with some wet weather gear - it is the middle of winter at the moment - which includes a gore-tex paclite jacket, umbrella, wool beanie, gloves and a mid-layer light hoodie which can be rolled up.

If I am heading into the nearest town or neighbouring towns I still carry enough to get home by walking if I had to. Usually between 20 to 40 kilometers. Also, there are a few rivers to cross and if it floods the roads are blocked but the foot bridge is dry. I have left my car on one side of the river a couple of times and walked home. Each time a 3 hour trip.

For around town where I live I don't EDC much at all, if anything, except watch, phone, wallet and key chain. In the evening if I head out I carry a torch which is for convenience.

Always carry water unless I am heading on the weekend to a mate's place or the family farm in which case I will carry plenty of beer.

On a mountain bike ride of 1 - 3 hours I will carry a few extra items mostly for bike repairs.

313 and Redneck Bear like this.
  13. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

what i don't get is people who stuff their edc bags to the brim. what if you get some shopping on the way home, or it's hot and you take your jacket off.

kikaida and Redneck Bear like this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

A lot of bags have a bungee system for jackets. A drawstring bag for impromptu purchases takes almost no space at all.

ATB,
    Sam

15. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

i normally carry a ton of stuff with me everyday, and a good bit of it gets used on a regular basis. Today I am trying a minimalist approach, to see how much i actually need. So far, i'm doing OK. Today, i narrowed it down to the following essentials:

Phone
    Keys
    Wallet
    flash drive
    coast G19 flashlight
    swiss champ xlt
    small cheap 3000mAh power bank for my phone

I feel really weird not having my usual gear on my, but so far i haven't run into any problems.

16. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

NEED is such a strong word...

Tallboyjim and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Scottie 754

Scottie 754 Loaded Pockets

I take my work vehicle home with me, so I'm spoiled. My EDC is built into my vehicle. My problems start on my days off. I drive my personal vehicle and feel naked! LOL. Guess I have just justified some redundancy!!!

Tallboyjim, Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  18. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Amen to that. We go some were in my wife's car and I'm like.....where is "insert item I could use"

I need to fully outfit her car in a pouch type setup that can go in a storage compartment

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. Scottie 754

Scottie 754 Loaded Pockets

I should make my work EDC a compartmentalized bag of some sorts and move it with me, but that would just take all of the fun out of making another system!! I think I have a bag and gear hoarding problem, but hay...who cares!! Guess there are much worse vises to have than being hyper prepared!!!

20. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

You don't need something until you do.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.