1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

I'm usually in office environment, university buildings, large city or at home (small town), but I always carry my Victorinox Huntsman and Fenix E12 light somewhere on me in a small pouch both those things fit at once so they don't fool around my pockets. :)
    Opening packages or cans, shining at crazy PC cables or at dark stairwells in case of power failure, and I also like to do on the PCs as much as possible with my Vic so I can feel like MacGyver ... :D
    Of course I like my cellphone, my wallet and my keys but I hardly recognize those as EDC from the "edcforums point of view" ... :D
    PS: Well, perhaps the keys with Vic Classic and a spare AA battery are EDCforums item after all :)

2. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Listen Big Deal. You got another problem. Women always figure out the truth. Always!

Redneck Bear and soundlessnut like this.
  3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If that were the case we'd all be in big trouble!

Redneck Bear likes this.
  4. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

Leaving home without a military grade gas mask or a week's food and water is a calculated risk. I most definitely am a prepper, but only carry what I know I'll need during a normal day at work. I have camping gear in my car. I work maybe two hours walk from where I live. Barring full scale spetsnaz invasion or nuke strike or meteors or volcanic activity, I'll make it home to bug in or out, no matter what. That's my primary object - to get to my kids. If my legs still work, I can do it with zero gadgets or food and water. I'm not likely to stop for some fishing or trapping on the way. I know the way without a compass. If the bombs are falling, I don't need to listen to the radio to hear it. You get the picture.

So I don't feel like a sinner although I no longer edc all 5 c's of survival in my bag. No cover, no container, no cordage, no problem! I can get all that (and food) from where I work or from my car.

My on person carry and edc bag weigh less than 3 kilos combined. Still, I've covered most bases.

UmbertoTortallini and 16VGTIDave like this.
  5. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

That really depends on what you do as a living or where you go everyday. And where your location is.
    In my country you can't just carry a gun anywhere.

I,m a graphic artist who rides a bike to work every day. Here's what I carry everyday on my pack:
    - wallet
    - phone
    - a flashlight
    - a FAK ( basically a survival tin with pain/alergy meds, bandages alcohol swabs)
    - a small folder which I also put in my survival tin
    - a notebook
    - 2 pens (a nice pen for when I'm meeting with "important" people and a clicker that I use everyday so it wont cost me much even if I lose it
    - snap on fisheye lens for my phone ( i like taking pictures with my phone)
    - my work ID
    - a coin purse
    - water bottle
    - extra shirt for when i get too sweaty on my ride to work
    - a small towel
    - a pouch (containing my toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, comb & wax. My FAK tin is also in the pouch)
    - motorcycle gloves
    That's all. I use everything everyday except for the emergency kit & flashlight. I don't carry anything else just for the sake of beefing up my edc. I live in the city and everyrhing is accessible.

UmbertoTortallini and Skunk Ape like this.
  6. UmbertoTortallini

As a long-distance, everyday commuter I typically carry more EDC than I personally need. Hooking up with family or getting home after a major earthquake or riots could take days. (Yeah, I've seen both). Redundancy means I can afford to lose, share or barter stuff if necessary in a :censored: scenario.

Redneck Bear and Skunk Ape like this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think the there is an oddity to carrying 3+ folding knives on a daily basis. Why? I carry a Kershaw Leek and half the time don't need it. If you need "back up" knives why not a solid sheath knife in your bag?

I don't carry any survival, i.e. 'keep me alive' stuff in my EDC bag. I've thought about it, but geez it's already heavy enough. I work eight miles from my house so I could run home in less than two hours if :censored:. My EDC bag is more about efficiency and not having to have tripliates of things for home, office, auto, etc.

I used to keep a GHB in my truck and still do when I take distant road trips. I often wonder what overkill I do have.

I don't carry any trauma gear, but I do keep the medical gear I (or my wife, etc) may need ranging from BandAids to Zofran. It all fits in an Altoid's tin.

There isn't anything on my keyring but keys and a remote fob.

I feel like cash, plastic, and a smartphone are the most needed EDC items...unless you live in the woods or something. My EDC: wallet, Motorola smartphone, Kershaw Leek, Streamlight MicroStream, keys, analog watch, white handkerchief, Zebra F-701, belt, and wedding ring (the key to my long-term survival).

A pistol can come in handy I suppose because when you need a pistol, you REALLY need a pistol. And like the guy writes in 100 Deadly Skills, carry cash and a pistol. What you can't get with one, you can get with the other, lol.

kikaida and charlie fox like this.
  8. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

3+ folding knives and 2 multitools + a bunch of keychain tools are for posting picture or your "day,s EDC" on facebook. Everyday carry around the house. :p

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  9. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

If you choose items that are micro-sized, mini-sized or multi-functional, you can have much more functionality in an EDC-bag, with limited weight. And you can change the set-up with the situation and weather-forecast.

10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Or you can pre-compose for example four different EDC-kits for four different situation categories.

11. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

EDC = Every Day Carry. Not Situationally Appropriate Kits. Not "Monday carry". Not "Office appropriate" carry. Every Day Carry.

My EDC is is a Victorinox SwissChamp, Zebralight AA flashlight, vintage Ronson butane lighter, home made leather coin purse, Boker Trance (as money clip), my prescription glasses, house keys, and an RFID blocking wallet. If I go out of the house, those items are on my person. Always in the same location/pocket. Every time, every day, always carried on my person, with very few exceptions. Flying or other restrictive locations are the exception, but they very rarely happen for me. I'm flying tomorrow for the first time in 5 years and checking a small bag just so I can bring my SwissChamp with me on a 3 day trip. I'm sure I'll be twitching for the entire 5 hours I'm without it.

My watches change based on mood and anticipated activities, so I don't claim to EDC a particular watch despite almost always wearing one. I may or may not have a multi tool, or a bag, or a note pad with me, so they don't count as EDC.

Redneck Bear and dmattaponi like this.
  12. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

i used to carry a lot more, just because i like stuff. I found all sorts of ways to try to justify having my pockets loaded with doodads, but in the end i have shed most of it and stuck with only what i am pretty much guaranteed to use daily, or almost daily.

I have a backpack with me when i go to work, so there are always extra things in there, but as far as pockets go, a knife, a AAA light, and a bottle opener on my keychain is all i NEED (besides the typical wallet, keys, phone). virtually anything else beyond that is just taking up space and making my pockets heavy, and look lumpy.

Any time I'm going far from home, I'm usually grabbing my backpack, or packing my photography bag, and ill stick a couple extra things in depending on what I'm going to be doing. When i first found 'edc' i went full-mall-ninja for a while with tactical pants and everything......but ultimately wasn't physically comfortable, and eventually realized i looked dumb (at least in a suburban environment).

13. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

To me it's always about carrying what you need. You might start out with a lot of stuff. But as you continue to carry it, you will see that you don't actually need some of the stuff and then ya just stop bringing it with ya. That's why an EDC is always evolving.

kikaida and Redneck Bear like this.
  14. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Meh, life's too short to always only do what's necessary and reasonable. While I do need some of the stuff I carry, some I just like to have and play with. Some days I'll take something that I know won't be needed, just for fun. The only limiting factor is what I'm comfortable with. Clutter and excess seems to make me uncomfortable nowadays.

kikaida and UmbertoTortallini like this.
  15. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I try to keep my EDC down to what I actually use or am likely to use on any given day, and those items seem to carry over well regardless of domain...work, play, everyday. For me that means, phone, Swiss Army Knife, pen, single AA flashlight, reading glasses, some strike anywhere matches.

There was a time when I got caught up (like so many) in carry all kinds of stuff for emergency, etc., but nowadays I try to keep it to items I'm reasonably likely to need with some regularity. That's not to say that I don't struggle still from time to time with the temptation of overloading my pockets. Like some of the others here, I don't define my wallet, wedding band, watch, keys, or underwear as part of my "EDC".

Last edited by dmattaponi, May 23, 2016
    kikaida likes this.
  16. android752000

android752000 Loaded Pockets

Like someone else above said, their is no right or wrong answer.

For me I carry the most I can at the lightest weight, most of these items I can or will use everyday. But I always check usefulness, and if it's not necessary to have them they get removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  17. Redneck Bear

Well, I went to a government building for a meeting few days ago and I checked my Victorinox Huntsman and my Ganzo folder at the reception desk. Then I went inside, took care of my stuff, got my knives back and left. At home I realized I had another Vic (classic) and a survival card on me. I know youre talking about folder knives but the fact I had four knives on me and I didn't even know about them all is funny. :D
    Well, I work about 50km/30 miles from my home so it is quite a pain to manage to have acceptable gear in a bag not filled to the gills. I believe I've got a lot of stuff I'd be missing in a :censored: situation when I would have to go home on foot. Well ... :(

18. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Security is an illusion.

When I lived that far from work I kept a GHB in my truck.

Redneck Bear and Skunk Ape like this.
  19. Redneck Bear

I'm commuting by train, that's the reason I can't carry all the required stuff with me. But you're right - if I were going by car I would be keeping my GHB there for sure. :)

20. NIckakawoodstock

NIckakawoodstock Empty Pockets

I think the easy answer is to evaluate how much of your EDC you actually use on a regular basis. If you don't use it on a regular basis, you might consider removing some items, or at least removing the redundancy. Obviously, self-defense carry is exempt from that.

For example, I carry two multi-tools and while they have some overlap / redundancy, each has specific tools that are more useful than the other. I keep most other redundancy and "just in case' in my backpack, that lives in the car/office/house 90% of the time.

Redneck Bear likes this.